Mr.Beer Community
BeerMizer

In conclusion

Just a bit over a month ago I bought my first Mr Beer kit. I just bottled my 3rd batch (Oktoberfest, Czech Pilsner, St Pat Stout). I have 3 more just brewed (Wild Wheat, Bewitched, Partial Mash Blackbeer'd Porter). My wife asked me, "what are you going to do with all this beer?" She had forgotten that my Super Power was making beer disappear! 2 weeks to go for my first batch to be ready! 

St Patrick bottled.JPG

• Like 7

Impressive!  You seem to have jumped into this about the same time I did. I am behind you in total production. You are obviously better at following recipes, unlike me, who has to add fruit to most of my recipes. I am very interested in how the Oktoberfest turns out, I have several cans of that stashed away. Cheers!

• Like 1

Yeah, my wife asked me how much beer I had made so far. Even though she's seen me brewing and bottling nearly every week for the last 2 months, she seemed a little surprised that we have about 10 cases of beer in various stages of conditioning.

Sure, maybe I've gotten a little carried away...I'll admit to that...but I'm looking forward to brewing a few more before the weather gets too hot and having a good supply through the summer and fall.

Heck, I feel like I'm just getting the hang of it. ;)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, J A said:

Yeah, my wife asked me how much beer I had made so far. Even though she's seen me brewing and bottling nearly every week for the last 2 months, she seemed a little surprised that we have about 10 cases of beer in various stages of conditioning.

Sure, maybe I've gotten a little carried away...I'll admit to that...but I'm looking forward to brewing a few more before the weather gets too hot and having a good supply through the summer and fall.

Heck, I feel like I'm just getting the hang of it. ;)

AHEM....  drinking-squirrel.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AnthonyC said:

AHEM....  drinking-squirrel.jpg

Yeah...I know. :rolleyes:

Truth is, I really like the idea of stocking up, especially once I drink up the early, let's just say mediocre, stuff, but I'm really excited about refining the process. Every time I get something into primary, I'm analyzing and obsessing about how the brew went, particularly now that I'm mashing grains. As I start to see the results, even right after primary when most of the alcohol is made and the malt profile has settled into something resembling it's final state and the hop balance starts to show where it's going to land. 

Dang it...I want to go brew something now!  

I'm a brew-natic, I tell ya! I'm head over heels in this crazy, crazy  brew-mance! I'm feeling feverish...I got the brew-flu! It's like all my joints ache with brew-matoid arthritis! 

I might have to fire up the mash pot this afternoon if I can get enough work done to justify knocking off early. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BeerMizer said:

20 days 3 hours left before I can crack open My Oktoberfest Broox, will give you my report!

Make it 20 days 1 hour, I won't tell rickbeer

• Like 1

I agree with you all.  I am also a fan of stocking up.  I purchased a second LBK this year so that I could brew two batches at a time. I am far from being a big producer, but I would like to get 8 of the 2 gallon batches done by the end of June so that I don't have to brew and worry about temperature when the weather gets too hot. I can always pick it up again in the fall once things cool down.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nathan08 said:

I agree with you all.  I am also a fan of stocking up.  I purchased a second LBK this year so that I could brew two batches at a time. I am far from being a big producer, but I would like to get 8 of the 2 gallon batches done by the end of June so that I don't have to brew and worry about temperature when the weather gets too hot. I can always pick it up again in the fall once things cool down.

Spoken like a true Beer Squirrel!  That is exactly what I have to do.

I'm addicted,, I'm up to 4 LBK's and one brewmax 2 gal fermenter............did three more batches yesterday all five are filled won't be bottling for two more weeks,, I really don't know what i'm gonna do with myself.lol......prob got 7-8 case conditioning and this is all since the new year............. I don't forsee the pipeline slowing down at all...........

To all those going gangbusters, I would recommend slowing down until you taste the fruits of your labor.  Make too much and discover you have an issue, or don't like something and made cases of it...  Yikes!

• Like 2

in conclusion, Rick is absolutely right!, but give a kid $10.00 in a candy store and recommend not to spend over 5 bucks....we're all kids in this big gigantic candy store and everywhere we look we want this! that! and all of those!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

To all those going gangbusters, I would recommend slowing down until you taste the fruits of your labor.  Make too much and discover you have an issue, or don't like something and made cases of it...  Yikes!

Yeah. There is definitely a balance. One the one hand, at the beginning, it seems like the more you brew the better you get at the brewing process. By "pushing the pace" I'll have 10 brew/bottle sessions when I'm done with this "season." This has really led me to get comfortable with the brewing process.

Brewing last night felt like a breeze. I am getting the hang of the whole process thing. I'm no longer trying to get my head around pouring wort into the keg so to speak. I'm comfortable with the actual "doing" of the brew.

But the flip side is who knows if what I'm doing is any good! My first brew of the season (my Hopped ESB) is still like a month away from tasting......

I am suspecting I'm not though (not a crappy brewer). My first ESB is turning out pretty good with the extra conditioning time. 

• Like 3

My first brews sucked.  I had no geniuses on a forum telling me what I was doing was wrong, unlike new brewers today, LOL.  I finally got good though.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

That's why I've stubbornly rejected the conventional wisdom warning against sampling early and often...I've been able to get a sense of how good or bad those early efforts were before moving on to different ingredients or more complex or sophisticated techniques. By piling up stores I've been able to insure I've got enough to drink and share while the later batches have plenty of time to condition well and part of the early batches can be held back to age even longer. 

I've been able to gauge the progress in terms of technique/process and see a real increase in the complexity and quality of the beer. Also, with a big supply on hand I feel more comfortable tying up a lot of fermentation/cooling capacity longer term while making some lagers.

I'll still sample a couple of times along the way, but now it's mostly to see if hop balance is right so I can tweak the recipe if I'm brewing the same type of beer. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

My first brews sucked.  I had no geniuses on a forum telling me what I was doing was wrong, unlike new brewers today, LOL.  I finally got good though.

My first one, my Butchered Ale...was crappy. But maybe the problem wasn't that it was crappy...maybe my trying it after a week was a bad idea...and then continuing to try it through those first three weeks or so.

I seem to remember someone advising me against this, but I didn't listen. I just kept drinking it.....

I have one bottle left. I am letting it condition for a year. Then I am going to open and drink it. If it turns out to be one of the greatest beers ever made I am going to slap myself (gently) for drinking it all while it was crappy AND for not taking notes on how i made it.

2 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

r u calling me a genieous? thanx Rick!

No, I'm not...  :lol: