Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
WJR Beer

How to Diminish or Augment Bitterness

Hello, I'm new and about to brew my first batch.

I was given the Kit for my birthday, from friends that know me very well apparently ;-) I can see this being my new Hobby. I like to play around and find different tastes and combinations, so all this recipes and such are just great for the future experimentation. 

For now I want to do my first batch as normal as possible to have a baseline of flavor and first experience.

That being said, my kit came with a mix that has a 70% Bitterness, which I will be ok with it, but the rest of the household wont drink it at all. 

So my first question is how can I manage the Bitterness can I make a 20% mix more bitter by mixing with _______ ? or Less Bitter by adding _____ ?

I thought after looking into the ingredients that maybe using some Brown Sugar will help with a bit of flavor and make it smoother, and also adding a LME Smooth pouch, but, I will appreciate suggestions, since I order some extras and wont run my batch until they arrive, (If I can hold myself) ;-)

Adding an LME pouch will make it slightly less bitter, but basically that refill is something you won'the want to share with people that don'the like bitter beer - you didn'the give the name though...

• Like 1

Sounds like maybe you have Diablo IPA -- that has a 70 IBU.  If so, you might let it condition for a good month or two in the bottles and it will be fine.  Or, as Rick suggested, adding some Pale LME to the recipe will balance out some of the bitterness.  The only other option would be to score a 2nd LBK and get the pipeline going!  That way, you will have a selection of beers for the whole family! ;)

• Like 1

My bad I got the Diablo IPA Craft mix

I ordered a Pouch, so I will wait for it.

And thanks both of you. 

• Like 1

I remember Josh saying that all craft beers are lightly hopped compared to the seasonals and standard refills. and with my experience with the diablo, I had to add more hops to bcuz I felt it was actually lacking. my northwest pale ale (  a craft beer, brewed twice now), I added warrior/palaside and cascade hops to it, the cascade was dry hopped for a week, I tried some yesterday and the hop had settled down perfectly, first u taste the smooth malt with a clean hop finish, not too overpowering.

1 hour ago, HoppySmile! said:

I remember Josh saying that all craft beers are lightly hopped compared to the seasonals and standard refills. and with my experience with the diablo, I had to add more hops to bcuz I felt it was actually lacking. my northwest pale ale (  a craft beer, brewed twice now), I added warrior/palaside and cascade hops to it, the cascade was dry hopped for a week, I tried some yesterday and the hop had settled down perfectly, first u taste the smooth malt with a clean hop finish, not too overpowering.

I never said that. I said ALL the refills are lightly hopped. I made no comparison between the Craft or the Standard refills.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WJR Beer said:

My bad I got the Diablo IPA Craft mix

I ordered a Pouch, so I will wait for it.

And thanks both of you. 

Just to be clear, IMHO there is no way you're going to add a pouch of LME to the Diablo IPA and have people that don't like bitter beer say "wow, this isn't bitter"... 

• Like 1