Mr.Beer Community
Styx

Yes another new guy

Yep, another noob here to bother you with a bunch of questions.  My Dad and I have 3 LBKs going right now. American Light, Hacked Rootbeer ( for my daughter) and a Czech Pilsner. Fermentation process for about 3 weeks on the AL and 1 week for the others. Temp has averaged around 69-70 degrees. According to the instructions and all that I've read we should be able to bottle the AL this weekend. 

Any tips or suggestions.?

• Like 1

Cold Crashing is done by putting your LBK in refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.  This will help to clear your beer and compact the Trub in the bottom of the LBK.

I am not in the "Cold Crashing" camp as I have never done it and my beers all seem to turn out fine without it.  If you are careful when bottling and you don't disturb your LBK much, you won't end up with trub in the bottles until the last bottle anyway.  When your bottles are ready to drink, you need to refrigerate for at least three days.  Then carefully pour your beer and stop pouring when you see the line of yeast (trub) from the bottom of the bottle come to the neck of the bottle.  However, many on this forum do cold crash their beers.  It is a preference thing.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BDawg62 said:

Cold Crashing is done by putting your LBK in refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.  This will help to clear your beer and compact the Trub in the bottom of the LBK.

Even 24 to 36 hours is good for most beers. If the beer has fermented for 2 weeks total, it's likely to be pretty clear anyway. The action of cooling helps precipitate the remaining haze out and packs things pretty tight at the bottom. Less mess and more consistent bottling (assuming bottle priming). Some beers need it worse than others and some will definitely be better with longer crash time, but it's a good habit to get into, I think.

Welcome to the forum, Styx.  Let me start off by saying that you aren't bothering anyone by asking questions, although it would do you a world of good to browse the forums for awhile.  You'll be surprised by how many of your questions will be answered right in past posts.  I brew with my father as well, and it's a blast!  Good luck to ya! 

• Like 4

ditto what that squirrelly guy said above me, and if you don't understand some things just ask, we've all been where you are today, and would love to see you move forward in the world of the best beer I've tasted which I brewed attitude! bcuz ur not too far away from doing that!

• Like 1

As a guy who has brewed a grand total of 10 batches of beer (still lots to learn), I can say the following:

1. You are going to have a million questions.  This forum is a great place to ask them

2. You are going to do little things wrong and need reassurance.  You can get that here.

3. I have asked questions on this forum enough times to know that the people here all love the hobby and are happy to help. 

4. Look up the links on RickBeer's posts and read them all

5. This forum compliments the hobby very well.

Enjoy!

• Like 9

@Styx

WELCOME STYX!

Ask many questions!!!! Try to throw in some real dumb ones too every now and then. It makes the forum fun!

I can say that this forum...asking questions...reading posts.....etc. may be one of the best parts about getting into brewing.

• Like 3

Thanks for the advice. We will cold crash the next brew in two weeks. Today is bottling day, my Dad is stoked. 

We will read and keep reading. Not looking to get it all right. Expect to make mistakes, who doesn't. 

This is time well spent. My dad has a new hobby, reaping the rewards and I get to spend some time with a great man.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, MrWhy said:

@Styx

WELCOME STYX!

Ask many questions!!!! Try to throw in some real dumb ones too every now and then. It makes the forum fun!

I can say that this forum...asking questions...reading posts.....etc. may be one of the best parts about getting into brewing.

When you do ask a really dumb question address it directly to Rick.  Make sure it's about something he's covered under his signature.  Ya see you can't REALLY be one of us until Rick yells at you.  If you're really feeling cheeky put together a Frankenstein brew, and ask 'em what he thinks! ;)  Welcome to the club, Styx! :)

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Styx said:

Thanks for the advice. We will cold crash the next brew in two weeks. Today is bottling day, my Dad is stoked. 

We will read and keep reading. Not looking to get it all right. Expect to make mistakes, who doesn't. 

This is time well spent. My dad has a new hobby, reaping the rewards and I get to spend some time with a great man.

that's so awesum to hear about your time with your Father! I do the same with my dad as well, except he hates beer and loves dry martinis! Most vile tasting stuff ever concocted!

That's too funny. Dad hates martinis and I don't drink 

2 hours ago, HollywoodHomeBrew said:

I don't have anyone to brew with, but I wish I did!

I too am a solo brewer. And the only one in the house who drinks beer.

Part of the reason I enjoy the forum so much!

• Like 1

I have a buddy that got me into it. It is nice to have someone around to talk about brews with and to taste-test as well :)

Welcome Styx and Daddy Styx! Just remember that the only stupid question is the one you DON'T ask. Good luck with the new brew hobby. I look forward to you sharing with us how they turn out.

Went to bottle today. Kinda tasted green last week.

Its a waiting game now.....

1 hour ago, Styx said:

Went to bottle today. Kinda tasted green last week.

Its a waiting game now.....

So last week was 3 weeks, and you didn't bottle because it tasted green? Fact - it will always taste green before carbonation and conditioning. Bottle at 21 days, go at least 28 in bottles at room temp.

• Like 2

Exactly 29 days to bottle. Another couple weeks to finish. Hacked Root beer and Pilsner bottled today. Still one more to do. 

20160404_091310.jpg

• Like 1

I've searched high and low and maybe I'm blind, but regarding cold crashing.  Should the 2-3 day cold crashing period be included in the 3 week fermentation stage or after the 3 week fermentation stage, OR does it really matter?

^^^ Newbie here. :) 

From what I've gathered, many brewers cold crash within the three weeks (i.e. put the LBK in the fridge on day 18). You'll get varying answers and it's mainly up to personal schedules/preferences. 

• Like 1

I ferment for 21 days, then cold-crash.

• Like 1

Ok. Thanks! I found a few other forums from RickBeer that says after 3 weeks, but also saw that people include it in the fermentation time.  I suppose you're right, all preferences.

46 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

I ferment for 21 days, then cold-crash.

Josh, I went right to the second page on this thread, and your comment was at the top.  Damn near fell off my chair laughing!  When taken out of context, your statement, "I ferment for 21 days, then cold-crash," sounds like you have an abdominal disorder.  LMAO

• Like 1