Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
AnthonyC

Leaking Spigots

Just checked on my Hard Pear Cider and Lemon Belgian Blanc and noticed that BOTH spigots are leaking where the on/off lever is.  The seal must've gone bad on them.  Should I be worried about contamination?  Thanks in advance.

There is no seal.

Spigot should be disassembled each time. Into 2 pieces.  Sanitized, then put back together.

Leaking will not cause infection, fluid is coming out, nothing is going in.

Clean everything with sanitizer before bottling.

Always fill LBK with 8 liters of water and let it sit for ten minutes to check for leaks, then sanitize and brew.

• Like 2

Thanks Rick.  Now by 2 pieces do you mean the nut from the spout?  If so, I do that.  I also do the "leak test"; no leaks.  These leaks appeared around day 2.  I'm not sure if I was being completely clear about where the actual leak is coming from (or maybe I was).  It is where the on/off lever sits on the actual spigot.  Maybe it is getting worn?  Either way I'm happy to hear that there will be no risk of infection from that location.

there's a plastic washer somewhere, and I've learned by past post of my errors, the washer goes on the outside of the LBK, I put it on the inside of my very first LBK, never removed it and it has never leaked, but of course doing so, by not disassembling and cleaning, I risk infection.

43 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

No, I mean the spigot, the spigot is two pieces, take it apart.

When I get this bottled up I'll do that.  For now the sugary/malty wort has actually acted as the finger in the damn and stopped it.  Thanks again!

1 hour ago, HoppySmile! said:

there's a plastic washer somewhere, and I've learned by past post of my errors, the washer goes on the outside of the LBK, I put it on the inside of my very first LBK, never removed it and it has never leaked, but of course doing so, by not disassembling and cleaning, I risk infection.

No problems there, Hoppy.  The washer is in the proper place.  Now I have to figure out exactly how to breakdown the spigot without going all HULK SMASH & destroying it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

Just checked on my Hard Pear Cider and Lemon Belgian Blanc and noticed that BOTH spigots are leaking where the on/off lever is.  The seal must've gone bad on them.  Should I be worried about contamination?  Thanks in advance.

Are these the new black spigots? If so, give us a call.

45 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

No problems there, Hoppy.  The washer is in the proper place.  Now I have to figure out exactly how to breakdown the spigot without going all HULK SMASH & destroying it.

I have the white spigots.  Pivot the top so that the two lips line up - either 1/4 open or 3/4 open.  Stick a flat bladed screwdriver in the crack and twist.  You'll hear a pop.  Now take the two parts apart.  Clean throughly - you'll see trub and such inside each part.  I gently use a small bottle brush.  

When you are ready to use the LBK, sanitize all the pieces.  Then, pickup those two parts and push them gently back together again.  You may hear a pop as they click together.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Are these the new black spigots? If so, give us a call.

Yes Josh.  These are the black spigots.  The one white spigot that I have is still going strong.  I will give a call in a few.  As always...  thank you! 

Yeah...I didn't pull my spigots completely apart and I'm pretty sure I soured a batch. Hopefully it's the only one. I've been going up into the spigot with cleaner and q-tips, but I never actually thought about taking them apart completely. I may siphon my current LBK batches into a secondary LBK (after cleaning the spigot) so I can avoid the problem. I've got some good beers going and I don't want vinegar and yogurt. :angry:

Problem solved!  Thanks to Josh for all the help!!  Honestly, Mr. Beer's customer service is about as good as good can get!!   

• Like 5

2 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

I was kinda looking forward to the Hulk Smash and destroying it thing, just how I felt while trying to file my taxes with the SO-CALLED FREE TurboTax website! lemme tell ya, its free but u gotta go thru a lot of b#@*&$&^@ just to file. I was better off just paying the minimum, no telling what adventure I would have been taken through.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

I was kinda looking forward to the Hulk Smash and destroying it thing, just how I felt while trying to file my taxes with the SO-CALLED FREE TurboTax website! lemme tell ya, its free but u gotta go thru a lot of b#@*&$&^@ just to file. I was better off just paying the minimum, no telling what adventure I would have been taken through.

No smashing this time, but I've been playing multi-player Halo on the XBOX ONE & I'd like to smash a few of the knuckleheads on my squad!

Fiancée tried doing her taxes w/that.  Long story short, we payed the accountant $110.  

• Like 2

well I got the filing sent to the fed it was accepted, haven't heard about state, I won't use it again that's for sure, they've got the implemented Obamacare included and if you lacked insurance at any time u would have been penalized, I figured if I didn't have any coverage for 2015, I would have been penalized a minimum of $564.00 a big rip off! that's not suppose to be in effect til 2016 filings!!

Spigots arrived yesterday.  Thanks again, Josh R.  Top notch customer service AGAIN from Mr. Beer!! :)

• Like 2

Forgot to mention that I swapped out the old leaky spigots w/the new ones & the problem is solved...  No leaks!  Thanks again MRB Josh R for the OUTSTANDING customer service!!! :)

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 5:36 AM, AnthonyC said:

Spigots arrived yesterday.  Thanks again, Josh R.  Top notch customer service AGAIN from Mr. Beer!! :)

yes they really have a great cutomer service!