Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Coop

Taste test

Dang, had a tiny sneak taste of my roses rambling red and powerful patriot at the end of week 2. Both were very alcohol forward if you will. Not that I'm complaining. Curious to see where they end up.

2 minutes ago, Coop said:

Dang, had a tiny sneak taste of my roses rambling red and powerful patriot at the end of week 2. Both were very alcohol forward if you will. Not that I'm complaining. Curious to see where they end up.

Week Two of Ferment or Week Two of Conditioning?

Ferment. I know it's miles away but I was just curious. I always take a teaspoon nip off every batch I've made. These two are the first I've been able to taste alcohol in.

I haven't tasted while in fermenting stage. Mostly because that would entail lifting a keg out of the cooler, putting it on a counter, tasting, then putting back. Too much trouble for a simple guy like me!

And so far any tasting I've done at bottling has been mostly disappointing.

Yeah I just slip a shot glass under the spigot so I don't disturb it. I'm always curious to see how it's taking shape. Usually it just tastes like flat beer. These were much different. Rambling red was the first time I've used a booster. The patriot didn't have a booster but that was the first time I've steeped hops. May be a disaster, may be a hit. Time will tell.

2 hours ago, Coop said:

Yeah I just slip a shot glass under the spigot so I don't disturb it. I'm always curious to see how it's taking shape. Usually it just tastes like flat beer. These were much different. Rambling red was the first time I've used a booster. The patriot didn't have a booster but that was the first time I've steeped hops. May be a disaster, may be a hit. Time will tell.

Either way drink enough of it and happy times!

• Like 1

I would recommend sanitizing AFTER drawing the sample, so that nothing grows in there before you bottle.  And always sanitize before you bottle.  You don't want dripping sanitizer in the spigot and then do a taste test, if nothing else it will alter the taste.

• Like 2