Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nightwulf1974

Not enough priming sugar for Weizenbock and what to do...

DefaultExtremely fast carbonation and under priming?

Hey all,

I just bottled a 5 gallon batch of an AIH Perfekt Weizenbock. Using the calculator on Screwy Brewer, it calls for C02 volumes to be 3.71 to 4.74 for a German style Weizenbock. I didn't put anywhere near that amount. I must have been looking at a different style by accident or had too much homebrew and I only used about 8.5 Tbs. of Glucose with the last Tbsp. or so being brown sugar as I ran out of the latter.  I also now realized that I followed a prior recommendation of priming sugar for a Robust Porter I just finished conditioning and putting in the fridge that called for 3.5 oz. which I believe equates to around 7 Tbs of sugar. 

To even hit 3.7 @4.5 gallons with a temp of 70F, I would have needed to used around 15 Tbs. I only used around 1/2 that amount. I am not keen on recapping or wanting to open the bottles and even attempt to add more sugar. The thing is, I was moving some of the PET bottles I used to bottle and today (2 days after) they were ROCK HARD. I don't even see how they could be this hard in just a few days considering I only used 1/2 of the recommended amount of sugar for this style, but with only 5 batches or so under my belt I'm still learning....

Before anyone asks, my beer fermented out completely, sitting in primary for 3 weeks. The final gravity was 1.016, just as the recipe called for so I know I didn't have any unfermentables going into bottling. The OG was 1.068 or so.

So now my questions are:

1. Is the hardness at just a few days in the PET bottles representative of carbing this quick?

2. Is my beer going to taste flat per it's style since I only used about 1/2 of what is recommended?

3. Should I even try to add more sugar and recap or is that a big no-no and not to be messed with?

FWIW, my Robust Porter I just got done with and conditioning for a month and refrigerated only had about the same amount of sugar (8-8.5 Tbs) and it is perfect, just carbed enough for a nice dark beer.  It's disappearing fast. 

This is my first wheat beer and it tasted phenomenal prior to bottling, but now I'm now worried it's going to be under carbonated. 

If anyone can chime in, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

I put at most 130 grams of table sugar which is 26 teaspoons or just under 9 tablespoons.  It will be fine.

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

I put at most 130 grams of table sugar which is 26 teaspoons or just under 9 tablespoons.  It will be fine.

I just find it weird that this type of beer has such a higher range of C02 volume, and in fact is listed as the HIGHEST carbonated beer on Screwy Brewer.  Anyways, I'll leave it alone and I appreciate your feedback.  On a related note, do you always use the same amount of priming sugar regardless of style?  Have you brewed wheat beers with similar success? 

I use between 90 and 130 grams per 5 gallon batch depending on style.  Low end is Porter, Stout.  High end is Wheat, Brown.

33 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

I use between 90 and 130 grams per 5 gallon batch depending on style.  Low end is Porter, Stout.  High end is Wheat, Brown.

Well sounds like a case of RDWHAHB is in order. 

• Like 1

I carbed exactly one batch at 4.0 CO2.  It was waaaaaaaay too much carbonation.  style is style, and I understand that certain beers have a generally higher carbonation than other beer styles, but 4.0 or above is just too much.  I pretty much vary between 1.7 and 2.5 now.  YMMV.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cowboykyle said:

I carbed exactly one batch at 4.0 CO2.  It was waaaaaaaay too much carbonation.  style is style, and I understand that certain beers have a generally higher carbonation than other beer styles, but 4.0 or above is just too much.  I pretty much vary between 1.7 and 2.5 now.  YMMV.  

Yeah, 4.0 is pretty damn high...lol. The only beers that benefit from such a high carbonation would be saisons, some wheat beers, and ciders.