Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Coop

Variations from same batch

So I'm finishing up a batch of Aztec cerveza that I bottle six or seven weeks ago. This is the same batch I had a couple cidery bottles from the last couple weekends. Tonight I'm enjoying a bottle with none of the cider taste. It's dryer and a little seltzery. Not bad though. Added a little fresh squeezed grapefruit to the glass to brighten it up.  The first half dozen bottles I drank in weeks 3 through 5 tasted "normal", then I ran into the cider. Now a little different variation. It really interests me how one batch can produce subtle differences. Differences that I'm not sure are the product of  conditioning .  And I'm still not convinced those two cidery ones weren't the result of being the bottom of the barrel.   

• Like 1

On 3/27/2016 at 5:12 PM, Coop said:

And I'm still not convinced those two cidery ones weren't the result of being the bottom of the barrel.   

They weren't. Acetaldehyde doesn't care what part of the barrel it's in. The beers were still too green, that's whey they had an acetaldehyde flavor. The flavor conditions out with time. It has nothing to do with what part of the barrel they were from.

Really? Aztec cerveza still too green after 6 and 7 weeks? Btw, sampling my new batch of Canadian blonde with lme.  24 hours cold crashed and 4 weeks conditioned. Still cloudy and slightly cidery. Can home brews be cleared up? 

Are you gently pourine and leaving the final 1/4 inch in the bottle?

Yes. I'm just not sure if it's a conditioning thing or I'm not getting the wort temps low enough when I'm making it. I'm using cold water but I don't think I'm getting it cold enough from what I'm reading.

Pitching temp is one thing, fermenting is another. What temp are you fermenting the wort at?

I was room temp at 67 to 69 for that batch. Two batches since then I've brought the room temp down to 64 to 66.  That's the same from day 1 to 21. 

Probably not. Put it in the frig the day before and eliminate that as an issue.

Room temp of 69 would yield mid 70s at peak which might cause issues.

• Like 1