Mr.Beer Community
fryfly

Orange peel?

Just curious to see if anyone has used sweet orange peel in the BeWitched Amber Ale, or the American Classic Lager that comes with most starter kits?

Thanks!

No, but used it in the Belgian Blanc.  Not sure how it is b/c it's still in the LBK, but I'll let you know in 3 days.  I honestly can't imagine it being very good in the Bewitched Amber Ale, and from what I've heard even Ben Franklin couldn't make the CAL taste good. 

• Like 1

Made the CAL a few times and not bad for a starter kit but would like to add a little something as I have a few CAL refills to use up but don't want to waste it! Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, fryfly said:

This recipe looks pretty good, I think I'll try it.

Tx.

You're welcome.  Anytime & good luck.  

If you do a search just using the word "Orange" you come up with quite a number of posts about using orange peel or zest. The following is something I posted in another thread about orange and Classic American Light:

" I've added orange peel to a classic American light before and got a really nice Orange scent and a very light orange flavor by making a tincture. Peel or zest your orange and place it in a bowl with enough  vodka to cover it, let that sit for 2 to 3 days and then add the orange peel and vodka all together at day seven in the fermenter. "

The search function is your friend!
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

from what I've heard even Ben Franklin couldn't make the CAL taste good. 

I dunno. I think it gets a bad rap. It's supposed to be an easy recipe, which is why they use it in the starter kit. I think its reputation suffers from being exposed to too many newbie errors. 

If it was really that hard, Mr Beer would get a bad reputation from so many failures and they move quickly to replace it. Probably only a fraction of users ever show up here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neverbrewedadarnthing said:

I dunno. I think it gets a bad rap. It's supposed to be an easy recipe, which is why they use it in the starter kit. I think its reputation suffers from being exposed to too many newbie errors. 

If it was really that hard, Mr Beer would get a bad reputation from so many failures and they move quickly to replace it. Probably only a fraction of users ever show up here.

After mulling it over, I think that you may be onto something.

• Like 1

Weird, I couldn't write anything in the post above this one.

Anyway, if it's 'Bud bad', then I agree. I wouldn't mind LaBatt's, though.

That aside, I was thinking more along the lines of the failed attempts, cidery tasting, the posts about hot wort, etc. A successful attempt at a not-great brew would still be considered a success. It makes one wonder that if a different beer were included in the starter kit you'd hear about failed attempts on it.

2 hours ago, Neverbrewedadarnthing said:

Weird, I couldn't write anything in the post above this one.

Anyway, if it's 'Bud bad', then I agree. I wouldn't mind LaBatt's, though.

That aside, I was thinking more along the lines of the failed attempts, cidery tasting, the posts about hot wort, etc. A successful attempt at a not-great brew would still be considered a success. It makes one wonder that if a different beer were included in the starter kit you'd hear about failed attempts on it.

Sounds possible.  I've never tried the CAL straight up; only added it to a cider "just to use it".  My 1st brew was the Oktoberfest & it was horrible...  b/c I made it that way (temps).  Not sure if including a different HME w/the kit would be the answer.  A screwed up brew is a screwed up brew.  I think one of the problems is rushing into it without doing some research 1st. The only problem I ran into with reading (and I DID read) was that I became overwhelmed.  Admittedly I did not read Rick's threads, but that was b/c I didn't know that they existed at the time.  I lurked for a few weeks before squalking on the forum.

One thing that I try to point out in my threads is that this hobby is not going to work for everyone.  Those without patience, it won't work.  Those that don't follow directions, it won't work.  Those that don't understand that temp, while there are tolerances, does impact results - it won't work.  That's why there is such a high dropout rate.

Many go to great lengths and get great results.  More go to small lengths and get great results.  Following directions and haven't patience covers most of it.

• Like 3

The waiting is the hardest...well, you get it. I have to admit I am getting antsy. Two more weeks until the big chill. I am really hoping that the CAL doesn't taste like crap. The more I read, the more I become worried.

Completely understand.  To me, CAL helps you learn the process and discipline.  If it's ok, you succeeded.  If it's awful, you learned.  When I started most of what I made was the former product that wasn't close to as good - but when I brewed Oktoberfest, Bewitched, and the former Winter Ale I knew this was for me.

• Like 1

Another thing NBADT is that once you have a steady pipeline going the waiting becomes MUCH more bearable. 

I think my current 19.16 cases is a bigger pipeline than Hoppy's.  Only brewed once this year, first week, and I'm working down the inventory intentionally to get rid of older brews.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

I think my current 19.16 cases is a bigger pipeline than Hoppy's.  Only brewed once this year, first week, and I'm working down the inventory intentionally to get rid of older brews.

I'm sure you would find plenty of us here willing to help with that, Rick :lol:

• Like 1

Funny that...

As I built my pipeline, I focused on variety - having a selection.  Got to 15 I think at one point.  Problem is when you move to 5 gallon batches, each batch yields around 2 cases.  Inventory builds rapidly.  I have no plans to dwindle it too much, need to work on older ones mostly to get the two wheats down for example, since I bought 6 cans of the Bavarian Weissbier.  And elminiating a few including both White House beers - which were good when I was first brewing but now don't match up to others I make.  I suspect I will end up with closer to 12.

• Like 1

Ok so I think a little honey and orange peel will definitely help out the CAL, but for argument sake, how much orange peel is too much for a 6 gallon batch?

2 hours ago, fryfly said:

Ok so I think a little honey and orange peel will definitely help out the CAL, but for argument sake, how much orange peel is too much for a 6 gallon batch?

For 5 gallons you would use 1/2 oz at 10 minutes from flameout. We just brewed six gallons of a wheat and I still kept it at 1/2 oz. 

On April 2, 2016 at 11:08 AM, AnthonyC said:

Did you look at the CAL recipes on the Mr. Beer site?  Cowgirl Honey Light seems to have received some good reviews. 

http://www.mrbeer.com/cowgirl-honey-light-recipe

The cowgirl honey light is really good, I plan to brew that recipe often. The CAL is a good base recipe to experiment with also. The next cowgirl I brew, I plan to make it s partial mash and maybe trade the ginger for a spice bag.

• Like 1

The recipe looks good but I wouldn't want to make it too hoppy plus leave out the ginger. Any suggestions on the hops as I will be brewing 6 gallons?