Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
tatertodd

yeast info

I recently  purchased a kit with liquid yeast for the first time.  it was a next day delivery, the yeast was a german ale. it was warm when I received it.  is it still ok to use?

Probably, but you may want to do a short starter first to see if it's still viable.

• Like 1

Easy to "proof" it like you would a baker's yeast when you're making bread. Put it in a little water (warm room temp) with a pinch of sugar. Use a sanitize container with a loose fitting cover, also sanitized well and make sure it's something you can easily pour from. You'll almost certainly see bubbling and foaming within a half hour or less. I'd start it about the time you begin your boil. It never hurts to have some spare dry yeast on hand as a back-up in case you end up with dead yeast. All the Fermentis Safale/Safebrew yeasts seem to do really well in the LBKs.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, J A said:

Easy to "proof" it like you would a baker's yeast when you're making bread. Put it in a little water (warm room temp) with a pinch of sugar. Use a sanitize coontainer with a loose fitting cover, also sanitized well and make sure it's something you can easily pour from. You'll almost certainly see bubbling and foaming within a half hour or less. I'd start it about the time you begin your boil. It never hurts to have some spare dry yeast on hand as a back-up in case you end up with dead yeast. All the Fermentis Safale/Safebrew yeasts seem to do really well in the LBKs.

Any racoon container won't be clean enough.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

Any racoon container won't be clean enough.

Lemme just go ahead and  fix that.   :o :rolleyes: :lol::lol:

• Like 1