Mr.Beer Community
rjmanning

A potential problem with my batch

Greetings all.  I'm a newbie to the Mr Beer and the world of home brewing.  I received one of the started kits for my birthday this past October.  I did my first batch, an IPA, that came out pretty good, if my friends and family are to believed.  I started my second batch last night (an Irish Stout).  This morning, I woke to find a bubbling foam around the lid of my fermenter.  When I wiped it away, I could see a spot where the foam was coming from.  It appears as if there is some kind of flaw in the seal around the lid. 

I am assuming this is going to spoil my beer.  Can anybody confirm this for me.  Should I just throw the batch out or will my fermenter still work the way its supposed to?

Hello!

That is not a flaw - it is the actual design and one of the benefits of the LBK.

When the yeast eats the sugar, it produces two things, alcohol and carbon dioxide. The alcohol is awesome. The carbon dioxide, at this stage, is not because the pressure would make an airtight container explode!

Those little notches allow the overflow carbon dioxide to escape. 

The bubbling foam is krausen. Congratulations!  Your beer is fermenting.

All is well. Do not worry.

Thank you MrWhy.  I was nervous because I do not remember the foaming from my first batch.  And it is making a godawful mess.  The paper towel I put down under the fermenter is soaked through. 

• Like 1

That's why you either put it in a cooler, or in a Rubbermaid tub - or worse case on a cookie sheet.  AND, get the temp down.  You're probably over 70 room temp where it is if I had to guess.  

Based on your question, I think that it would be a good idea for you to watch this... and of course read the threads under Rick's name.

I had the same thing happening to one of mine. I put it in a cooler place and it stopped. Get he temp down a bit, wipe it clean but DO NOT open the lid 

Foam probably did not come out of your first batch! Every one is different. Like RickBeer said, you may be running warm, which increases the activity. Plus every beer and yeast are different. 

Keep asking questions. You will learn!

30 minutes ago, rjmanning said:

Thank you MrWhy.  I was nervous because I do not remember the foaming from my first batch.  And it is making a godawful mess.  The paper towel I put down under the fermenter is soaked through. 

I am new as well, started with the old Christmas gift set. As it turned out it is a fantastic gift. I have three LBKs and have done 8 batches. The same thing happend on my second batch, the only time. It was due to high temp. Now I use a cooler and am setting up a small dorm fridge this weekend to keep the temp down as well. Welcome and enjoy the ups and downs as you progress further along.

• Like 2

Thanks for all of the advice guys.  I put it out in my garage for a few hours and that seems to have worked.  Moved it back into the house because the overnight temps are going to be below freezing.  Isn't it supposed to be spring?

• Like 1