Mr.Beer Community
full_too_pale

Double Hefe Conditioning time.

I'm trying to make a double hefe weizen. Here's what I used: 2 cans of the Bavarian Hefe weissbier, 1 LME soft pack golden, 1 pack of booster, and 1 packet of Safbrew WB-06 Dry wheat Yeast.  How long should I let these bottle condition? I've read that hefes don't take too long, but what's the time frame with this much malt? Thanks 

• Like 1

Our Wild Wheat recipe has a similar amount of malt, and we recommend 3-4 weeks for it, so that's what I'm gonna go with. You're correct, wheat beers generally don't need to condition long.

• Like 1

Yeah, there's no need to condition a wheat beer unless it's a saison, gose, or other wild ale. It's basically done as soon as it's finished carbonating. Wheats don't improve much with age and the esters from the yeast will degrade over time so, like IPAs, they are best consumed fresh.

Thanks guys I appreciate it. Also, what's the best way of calculating abv% without a hydrometer? Does it work if you add all the estimated amounts from each ingredient, like 2 cans of Bavarian weissbier at 3.7 each= 7.4, plus the booster at 1.3, and LME at 1= 9.7% abv, or does it not work that way?

That calculation will give you your potential ABV.  You need to measure your actual Original Gravity (OG) and your actual Final Gravity (FG) and put it into an ABV calculator to get your actual ABV.

Well, the cans are really 3.1.  So 3.1+3.1+1.3+1 = 8.5.  I suspect that drinking that ABV early will yield "it's not ready" despite being a wheat.

Well, I just popped a Bavarian in the fridge to test this theory. Been conditioning about 12 days. Let's see what this shiz tastes like eh?

RickBeer, why do you say they are actually 3.1? Forgive my ignorance, but can you explain that to me please? And how long would you recommend for conditioning time before trying? A month? Thanks.

On April 13, 2016 at 6:39 PM, Creeps McLane said:

Well, I just popped a Bavarian in the fridge to test this theory. Been conditioning about 12 days. Let's see what this shiz tastes like eh?

That is quite possibly the best apple juice I have ever tasted!!!! Oh wait it's supposed to be beer... Maybe that's the banana? I don't eat bananas so I wouldn't really know. It's smooth but slightly under carbed. Really and truly might be apple juice. Crystal clear apple juice at that.