Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
AnthonyC

Apricot Wheat

I am thinking about making the Apricot Wheat recipe this weekend, and was wondering if anyone here has done it before.  I'm just a little concerned that it is going to have no apricot taste left when it is done fermenting.  What has been your experience with this recipe?  Thanks in advance.  :)

Haven't done the Apricot Wheat.  HOWEVER, my experience with every fruit beer I made was disappointing (Raspberry was the best), UNTIL I switched to adding extract drop(s) into the glass at time of pouring.  Now, EVERY flavor comes through great - however, you learn that some flavors aren't so great in beer like Blueberry, and Peach.  Apricot is great the way I do it.

• Like 1

Just now, RickBeer said:

Haven't done the Apricot Wheat.  HOWEVER, my experience with every fruit beer I made was disappointing (Raspberry was the best), UNTIL I switched to adding extract drop(s) into the glass at time of pouring.  Now, EVERY flavor comes through great - however, you learn that some flavors aren't so great in beer like Blueberry, and Peach.  Apricot is great the way I do it.

Couldn't agree more on the blueberry statement.  The all time worst beer that I ever drank was some overly-priced blueberry junk!  I don't remember what brand it was, but it had a bulldog on the bottle. 

I tried the Apricot Wheat last year with 2 cans of apricots. It was an OK wheat beer, but I was disappointed in how little Apricot flavor came through. You really had more of an Apricot aroma than actual flavor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brybry said:

I tried the Apricot Wheat last year with 2 cans of apricots. It was an OK wheat beer, but I was disappointed in how little Apricot flavor came through. You really had more of an Apricot aroma than actual flavor.

Thanks for the input, Bry.  Maybe I'll go w/a Brewer's Best extract and the apricot, or just leave out the canned apricot altogether. 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2016 at 2:14 PM, RickBeer said:

I've had some blueberry beer in ME that I liked a lot.  have you done both extract and added fruit?  results?  

Also, why is it that apricot works and peach does not?  I bottled up two batches of strawberry basil wheat,and was contemplating some more fruit wheat combos, peaches were high on the list, but I know I had seen apricot on here... Is peach too sweet?  Thanks in advance...

I've been considering tinctures for both blueberry and apricot/peach.  

Fruit - cherry, raspberry, blueberry.

Extract - cherry, raspberry, strawberry, blueberry, orange, peach, apricot, chocolate, peanut butter

Remember that all the sweetness of the fruit is eaten by the yeast.  The flavor is what's left after the sugar is gone.  Apricot just tastes much better than Peach, which is more subtle.  Raspberry is great, strawberry is good, blueberry has little flavor.  If you Google around, you'll see that this is noted by many.