Mr.Beer Community
Bach's Brews

Happy Wife, Happy Life!

So, I made the husband mistake of brewing 2 new beers last night (Dad's Favorite Cream Ale & Nilla Porter) on a whim.  My wife gave me the cold shoulder, but soon I'll have some cold beer to fall back on! Lol I'm sure she'd slap the beer right out of me if she saw me typing this!  However, I've learned...NOW, that I will have to schedule my brews ahead of time so she knows what's up! (insert Tarzan chest slap). I mean, so she knows that I care.

I think I'll be set for a little while, although I have 2 more brews I'd like to brew, but not enough LBK's!

Currently fermenting:

That Voodoo That You Do (brewed 4/10/16) Normal

Howling Red Ale (brewed 4/10/16) Normal

Dad's Favorite Cream Ale (brewed 4/19/16) Normal

Nilla Porter (brewed 4/19/16) added booster w/ Smooth LME.

Currently Conditioning:

Diablo IPA dry hopped w/ Galaxy hops (bottled 4/8/16)

Grand Bohemian (first brew ever, basic recipe, bottled 4/8/16)

Horses Ass (added extra honey and sugar, bottled 4/11/16)

Needless to say, I've gone mad!  Can't wait to open my first brew and enjoy it! I will keep you all posted! :-)

• Like 3

haha my poor wife has no idea i have 2 more LBKs coming so i can step things up a notch and get 3 going at the same time

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mylesmcg said:

haha my poor wife has no idea i have 2 more LBKs coming so i can step things up a notch and get 3 going at the same time

It's addicting and a great hobby!  I have one more free LBK that I'll be brewing a Bourbon Barrel Stout.  I have oak chips sitting in water for a day or two, then I'll have them sit in some Maker's Mark for 72 hours before adding them to the fermentation process.  Can't wait.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bach's Brews said:

However, I've learned...NOW, that I will have to schedule my brews ahead of time so she knows what's up! (insert Tarzan chest slap). I mean, so she knows that I care.

Bach's Brews MEANT:

My wife has explained to me how things work.  In the future, I will BE ASKING PERMISSION TO BREW MY BEERS so she has time to grant it if she chooses...

• Like 7

6 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Bach's Brews MEANT:

My wife has explained to me how things work.  In the future, I will BE ASKING PERMISSION TO BREW MY BEERS so she has time to grant it if she chooses...

I just keep my wife happy asking what kind of beer she would like me to brew for her. Then I order and put it into the rotation. 

The days I brew at home I'm off and my wife is working. Every other Saturday we'll go to my cousin's house to brew and bottle. He and I get to brew her and the cousin's wife watch movies and chitchat. Works out well and keeps us all happy. 

• Like 2

see you guys can curb the divorce rate in this country by writing a book on how to fix marriages, i'll be your publisher, since i'm a printer, and we all can benefit from this wonderful experience! now we need a catchy title for the book! How to Win your Baby Bock? any suggestions?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Bach's Brews said:

It's addicting and a great hobby!  I have one more free LBK that I'll be brewing a Bourbon Barrel Stout.  I have oak chips sitting in water for a day or two, then I'll have them sit in some Maker's Mark for 72 hours before adding them to the fermentation process.  Can't wait.

btw, how many oak chips were u planning to add? those suckers are potent, so if u add a lot it'll overpower everything and taste like bourbon oak, which isn't bad, but they're strong in flavor

17 hours ago, sabres032 said:

I just keep my wife happy asking what kind of beer she would like me to brew for her. Then I order and put it into the rotation. 

The days I brew at home I'm off and my wife is working. Every other Saturday we'll go to my cousin's house to brew and bottle. He and I get to brew her and the cousin's wife watch movies and chitchat. Works out well and keeps us all happy. 

See, I wish I could brew a beer for my wife.  She's prego with our 2nd and we actually find out tomorrow what we're having! :-)

I'm thinking when she's all done being prego's that I'll make the Apple Beery recipe.  I think she'd like that one.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

btw, how many oak chips were u planning to add? those suckers are potent, so if u add a lot it'll overpower everything and taste like bourbon oak, which isn't bad, but they're strong in flavor

I have less than 1/2 ounce sitting in water still.  Are all oak chips the same?  They're probably dime size at most.  Probably 10?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bach's Brews said:

See, I wish I could brew a beer for my wife.  She's prego with our 2nd and we actually find out tomorrow what we're having! :-)

You are having poop diapers, puked up food, and crying...

1 minute ago, RickBeer said:

Well, good thing I've been through the ringer with our first one to know what to expect! :lol:

No you haven't.  You have amnesia.  Your wife, part of the evil 1/2 of our species, lured you when you were unsuspecting, and probably drunk.  "It wasn't so bad honey"  "remember how cute he/she was when they were so itsy bitsy teeny weeney?".  You, thinking without your brain, agreed.  When you are up at 2AM with diarrhea on the walls and in your face, see how you like it...   :o

My advice - go get snipped NOW!  Two you can handle (one on one).  Three - they have you outnumbered.  :lol:

Mine are in their early and late 20s.  ;)

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Bach's Brews said:

I'm thinking when she's all done being prego's that I'll make the Apple Beery recipe.  I think she'd like that one.

Congratulations...

15 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

No you haven't.  You have amnesia.  Your wife, part of the evil 1/2 of our species, lured you when you were unsuspecting, and probably drunk.  "It wasn't so bad honey"  "remember how cute he/she was when they were so itsy bitsy teeny weeney?".  You, thinking without your brain, agreed.  When you are up at 2AM with diarrhea on the walls and in your face, see how you like it...   :o

My advice - go get snipped NOW!  Two you can handle (one on one).  Three - they have you outnumbered.  :lol:

Mine are in their early and late 20s.  ;)

LOL! :lol:

18 hours ago, sabres032 said:

your lucky. my wife doesn't drink beer or even really drink. on the up side i always have my own taxi service lol

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bach's Brews said:

I have less than 1/2 ounce sitting in water still.  Are all oak chips the same?  They're probably dime size at most.  Probably 10?

concentrate on the OAK CHIPS..........................no not all oak chips r the same, just like not all RickBeers comments r the sane. notice I typted, the "sane" for RickBeer, he's been a Michigan fan too long.....it really starts to show its colors.....bleeding red.....OK where were we? Oak Chips aren't all the same. can you tell me what type of oak chips you have?

5 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

concentrate on the OAK CHIPS..........................no not all oak chips r the same, just like not all RickBeers comments r the sane. notice I typted, the "sane" for RickBeer, he's been a Michigan fan too long.....it really starts to show its colors.....bleeding red.....OK where were we? Oak Chips aren't all the same. can you tell me what type of oak chips you have?

I don't know off hand.  I received 1 ounce from a friend who has been brewing for about 5 years now.  He suggested to put 1/2 ounce or less in a 2 gallon batch because they're so potent.

yes they r potent! there are different concentrates of oak chips, i'm trying to think of the right vocabulary bcuz I've been drinking quite a bit, and as of now should be passed out in blissfulness so I can function at work tonight...... too bad for my employer hehehe.... ok where wuz the gyroscope pointing?  ok, u have medium oak chips, which r most common, light oak chips, and dark oak chips. I prefer medium oak chips because they're the in between for the light and dark and if u need lighter, u add less, darker u add more...

I usually add maybe 6 maximum to the LBK, but it depends on preference. and when I add, I just toss them in the LBK, and very lightly mix them in the top part of the wort so I dnt disturb the sludge at the bottom

6 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Debbie Downer. 

Kids are great. We had three, now in early thirties and late twenties. I know they are great because I love my grandkids, they're a lot of fun, and no trouble at all for me. Nope,no trouble at all. Haven't changed a single diaper in 3 years. Yup, kids are great.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

I usually add maybe 6 maximum to the LBK, but it depends on preference. and when I add, I just toss them in the LBK, and very lightly mix them in the top part of the wort so I dnt disturb the sludge at the bottom

I couldn't tell you if they're the light ones or the dark ones haha, but could you also put them in a muslin bag so they're not floating around all over the place and don't fall apart and get in the bottles come bottling day?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bach's Brews said:

I couldn't tell you if they're the light ones or the dark ones haha, but could you also put them in a muslin bag so they're not floating around all over the place and don't fall apart and get in the bottles come bottling day?

yeah u can do that too. most bourbon oak chips or cubes are a medium charr, I guess its an in between and most widely used. I got a huge bag of the chips and only used about 20 pieces in a years time lol!, but I also have an actual bourbon barrel that's aging a Cascadian winter dark ale, which basically an imperial stout because I used 3 extract cans for a 5 gallon recipe, which in reality should have yielded 6 gallons worth.

• Like 1

Bourbon Chips makes boys, Hmmm! Har!!

I am going to write that down.

Congrats, M

• Like 1