Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ga Ced

Bavarian Weissbier Partial Mash Recipe

Recipe:

1. B. Weissbier HME

2. LME Goldeb

3. 4oz carapils malt

4. 4oz crystal malt( I think I should have purchased 2 row)

5. WB06 dry wheat yeast

I plan to follow the Mr. Beer partial mash instructions, but I have a few questions first.

1. Do I use the entire packet of WB-06 yeast?

2. Will I be ok steeping the crystal malt 15? I read another thread where Mr. Beer Josh recommended 2 row and flaked oats for the wheat beer. I wish I would have seen that post before I ordered.

3. Should I use all 4oz's of each grain?

4. Also I plan to add coriander and sweet orange zest. What amount should I use for each and when should I add them to the wort?

• Like 1

Crystal and Carapils can be steeped. 4oz of both will be ok. Josh recommended 2-row and oats in a mash for increased mouthfeel. Oats for the mouthfeel. Oats cannot be steeped, they have to be mashed. You need 2-row for the enzymes to mash. You will be ok to use the whole sachet of WB-06. I'm guessing that you are doing a Mr. Beer size batch. If so, no more than 1oz of coriander seed. You might want to start 0.5oz of coriander for your first batch to get the feeling for how much effect it has, then try 1oz in your next batch. Zest of 1 large sweet orange added during boil or added at day 7 (soaked in just enough vodka to cover for 48 hours prior to adding). Add zest and vodka together. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, scouterbill said:

Crystal and Carapils can be steeped. 4oz of both will be ok. Josh recommended 2-row and oats in a mash for increased mouthfeel. Oats for the mouthfeel. Oats cannot be steeped, they have to be mashed. You need 2-row for the enzymes to mash. You will be ok to use the whole sachet of WB-06. I'm guessing that you are doing a Mr. Beer size batch. If so, no more than 1oz of coriander seed. You might want to start 0.5oz of coriander for your first batch to get the feeling for how much effect it has, then try 1oz in your next batch. Zest of 1 large sweet orange added during boil or added at day 7 (soaked in just enough vodka to cover for 48 hours prior to adding). Add zest and vodka together. 

Thank you! What is the purpose of the vodka and what brand would you recommend? I have a black cherry vodka on the shelf but I assume flavored vodka will not be tastey in this brew

1 minute ago, Ga Ced said:

What is the purpose of the vodka and what brand would you recommend?

Not @scouterbill, but the purpose of the vodka is to kind of pull out the oils in the zest and make a tincture. I can't imagine the brand would matter. I would not recommend using flavored vodka.

22 minutes ago, MRB Tim said:

Not @scouterbill, but the purpose of the vodka is to kind of pull out the oils in the zest and make a tincture. I can't imagine the brand would matter. I would not recommend using flavored vodka.

I guess I will be vodka shopping tomorrow. I have one more question: what is the flavor difference between adding the peels during the brew process vs at the 7 day mark.

• Like 1

Fermentation is a chemical process that can strip flavors away. Adding at the 7 day mark is basically post-fermentation and most of the flavors will be preserved.

• Like 1

i used to be a huge vodka drinker loved them screwdrivers!! but man, that s*#t caught up with me later in life and i dnt the stuff now!

• Like 1

On April 20, 2016 at 6:38 PM, MRB Tim said:

Does any flavor of the liquor transfer? Can I use bourbon? I'll have to see what I have laying around. I don't touch liquor. 

8 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Does any flavor of the liquor transfer? Can I use bourbon? I'll have to see what I have laying around. I don't touch liquor. 

No, it doesn't transfer. If you used bourbon, the flavor would transfer. By the way, bourbon is also liquor.

13 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

No, it doesn't transfer. If you used bourbon, the flavor would transfer. By the way, bourbon is also liquor.

Hoppy thought it was BodyWash...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Lol, yes I know. However I know I have bourbon cuz I just got it for my upcoming birthday. Poured a glass on the rocks the other day that eventually was given to the grass because it tasted like burning.

im the basement however I may have a clear liquor or two. Just wanted to make sure clear or brown liquor didn't matter. 

I sure wouldnt want any coconut from rum sneaking into my grapefruit IPA. I hate coconut almost as much as I hate birds. 

9 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

As far as I know, you want to use a clear spirit like vodka as it doesn't have an inherent flavor. If you think of a bourbon barrel stout, the bourbon "flavor" comes through. When you want a "tincture", you want an alcohol that won't affect the flavor but will deliver the desired flavor of the ingredient steeped (vanilla, orange peel, lemon peel, etc.).