Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
MurphMan

Foam after 3 weeks

Good afternoon everyone. I was going to bottle my surly dog today but notice that after 3 weeks in the Lbk, there is still some form at the top of the brew. Is this ok to bottle as I know every brew is different.mi have done 5 different brews and this is the first time it turned out like this after the 3 weeks. I did a sample taste and it does taste good. 

bottle up buddy, its normal to sometimes still have foam after three weeks....unless your making a super duper strong brew three weeks is all ya need... Fermentation is usually done by the second week the third week is for cleaning up your beer.... Bottle up good luck and enjoy.... Cheers!!!

• Like 1

Thank you, I know every brew is different just wanted to make sure though. Also since you mentioned it, If I  ever do make a super duper strong beer, do you suggest an extra week in the Lbk? Would it ruin the batch if bottled after only three weeks? My neighbor wants to try a high ABV batch, of course with one of my LBKs that is.

NEVER go more than 3 weeks.  No reason to.

Chase FLAVOR, not ABV.  A high ABV beer will require many months of conditioning.

• Like 1

Ok Rick, thank you. I will let him know if he wants a high ABV brew, he will have to learn patience before drinking his first one. 

Every batch is different but also every yeast is different. You use the yeast that came with the refill? Different yeasts look differently after three weeks.

chase whatever you want to chase, it's your beer. Make a 12% barley wine if that's what tickles your pickle. 

• Like 1

Even if you had your brew fermenting at the low end (of temperature range) for the yeast, it should be done after three weeks. A steady hydrometer reading could confirm this. A couple of days past the three weeks will not make much difference, but four weeks is too long, unless there is a specific lager period for the beer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MurphMan said:

Thank you, I know every brew is different just wanted to make sure though. Also since you mentioned it, If I  ever do make a super duper strong beer, do you suggest an extra week in the Lbk? Would it ruin the batch if bottled after only three weeks? My neighbor wants to try a high ABV batch, of course with one of my LBKs that is.

lot of people do alot of things differently ,, i think our friend hoppy goes longer then three weeks sometimes if i read some of his post correct... maybe he'll chime in with his thoughts ,, he seems to be making a new beer everyday........but 3 weeks is what seems to work in general for everybody,,, other then that get a hyrometer and learn how to use it and then you'll know exactly when whatever brew your making is done.........

3 minutes ago, Stroomer420 said:

lot of people do alot of things differently ,, i think our friend hoppy goes longer then three weeks sometimes if i read some of his post correct... maybe he'll chime in with his thoughts ,, he seems to be making a new beer everyday........but 3 weeks is what seems to work in general for everybody,,, other then that get a hyrometer and learn how to use it and then you'll know exactly when whatever brew your making is done.........

I think he only goes over 3 for big abv recipes and "specific" brews (ex. Abbey Dubbel in the secondary).  I know his Bourbon Stout is gonna be in the barrel for about a year!  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

I know his Bourbon Stout is gonna be in the barrel for about a year!  

That's only 'cause he was so drunk when he batched it, he doesn't remember where it is!

• Like 3

Not very nice, NBADT!  He will resemble that remark...  AND be proud of you! ;)

• Like 1