Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JoshR

ESB SALE!!! 50% OFF!!!

We have a bunch of Seasonal ESB Refills that are getting close to their Best Buy date (Approximately May 22nd - June 1st - give or take a few days) so we want to get them out of here. We're offering them for 50% off until they are gone. They come with Nottingham yeast (which will be fresh).

Get yours before they're gone forever!!!

http://www.mrbeer.com/esb-2014-autumn-seasonal

• Like 5

I would heartily recommend getting one of these before they're gone.  It's a winner.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, sabres032 said:

What specialty grains would go with this kit to make this a partial mash? 

All of them. It all depends on preference and what you're trying to make.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

All of them. It all depends on preference and what you're trying to make.

To keep it within style but add some extra body and flavor. Not looking for anything over the top though, nothing more than a pound of grains..

I just ordered 2, along with the 2 I already have, probably turn this into an English or Scottish ale, experiment with one then brew up a big batch

• Like 1

well shoot! since I got two coming, i'll brew one up this weekend straight up to try it out. b4 going Gonzo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoppySmile! said:

well shoot! since I got two coming, i'll brew one up this weekend straight up to try it out. b4 going Gonzo

That ship sailed long, long, long ago.  Eons ago.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sabres032 said:

To keep it within style but add some extra body and flavor. Not looking for anything over the top though, nothing more than a pound of grains..

I've got a batch 10 days in that I did with 3 oz. Caramel 40 and 4 oz. Victory.  I could sneak a taste and see how it is?

• Like 2

Heres my thought pattern on all HME products

"holy heck, 50% off!!! Im going to buy four and worry about explaining it to my wife later.  $13 is a steal!!! Im so excited!!! :) Wait, 13 x 4 is $52 plus $8 for shipping so roughly $60.  Did I almost really just pay $60 for 8 gallons of beer?  I can make almost 15 gallons for that same amount using all grain" (closes tab on browser and thinks, "Man my wife would be proud")

Half off is still almost double the cost just for convience and time. Is it worth it? Maybe... but I always hold out for $5 cans whenever they pop up at any retailer.  And even then Im going to want some aroma and flavor hops and a different yeast so my $5 can turns into a $20 batch when you figure in at least one bag of hops, a pack of yeast and an LME / DME to boil the hops in... so frustrating.  

Sorry, Im just venting.  Ive made plenty of good MRB batches with just the HME.  I just HATE the damn price!!!

• Like 1

I doubt the seasonal will get any lower than that, when they were getting rid of the spiced Belgian ale, they marked them down to around 12.50 a can too or was 10.00?

6 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Heres my thought pattern on all HME products

"holy heck, 50% off!!! Im going to buy four and worry about explaining it to my wife later.  $13 is a steal!!! Im so excited!!! :) Wait, 13 x 4 is $52 plus $8 for shipping so roughly $60.  Did I almost really just pay $60 for 8 gallons of beer?  I can make almost 15 gallons for that same amount using all grain" (closes tab on browser and thinks, "Man my wife would be proud")

Half off is still almost double the cost just for convience and time. Is it worth it? Maybe... but I always hold out for $5 cans whenever they pop up at any retailer.  And even then Im going to want some aroma and flavor hops and a different yeast so my $5 can turns into a $20 batch when you figure in at least one bag of hops, a pack of yeast and an LME / DME to boil the hops in... so frustrating.  

Sorry, Im just venting.  Ive made plenty of good MRB batches with just the HME.  I just HATE the damn price!!!

If you buy a cow, milk will be a lot cheaper. I hate that it is $2 per gallon!

• Like 5

I have to laugh at the venting.  Yes, Mr. Beer is more expensive than extract brewing which is more expensive than all grain brewing.  And yes, if you buy a can of HME and then make multiple modifications, all bought in small packaging, it costs even more.  Is there ANYTHING where this isn't true?  It costs a lot to go out to dinner, it is cheaper to buy prepared food at the grocery store, and cheaper yet to cook a meal from raw ingredients.

I compare what I do with beer to the cost of buying at the store - but that's not a fair comparison either.

Costs $6 PER PINT to buy a beer at a bar.  $102.24 for 2.13 gallons.

Costs $12 PER 4 PACK for some craft beer, $12 PER 6 PACK for other.  Using the cheaper price, that's $45.44 for $2.13 gallons.

Even at full price, with shipping (which everyone should be spreading over multiple cans), Mr. Beer is a deal as compared to the above.  Yes, there are cheaper options, like with everything else.  But you pay for convenience and time.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

I compare what I do with beer to the cost of buying at the store - but that's not a fair comparison either.

Costs $6 PER PINT to buy a beer at a bar.  $102.24 for 2.13 gallons.

Costs $12 PER 4 PACK for some craft beer, $12 PER 6 PACK for other.  Using the cheaper price, that's $45.44 for $2.13 gallons.

$60 for a 6 gallon refill of CAL HME is approx 60 beers. 

vs

2 Busch light 30 pack is $32

Vs

12 pack of michelob Amber bock (which is quite good) is $10. To get  60 bottles it will cost you $50.

Vs

making an all grain 5 gallon batch on average maybe costs $20-$23. And we'll assume 50 beers is the yield. 

The average 2 gal MRB recipe is about $25. The average AG 5 gallon batch is about the same. But you yield an extra 30 beers. 

MRB HME batch takes me 20 minites

A standard refill maybe takes 45 minutes

Partial mash 5 gallon takes 3 hours

all grain batch takes 4-8 hours depending on what you're doing. 

I can't argue the times, HME is a time saver for sure. 

What just makes me laugh is people saying they can't afford a bigger brew kettle to go all grain but then they go buy a seasonal four pack for the same price as my kettle. It cost me approx $160 to go all grain. You know the best part? All my BIAB batches taste like beer, not apple juice. No waiting weeks just to remove an apple taste. You wait for it to carb and then you drink it, depending on the style that is... 

Ive been typing this between feeding the kids and making coffee and holding a crying baby. Sorry for any typos or bad grammar. 

Have be a nice Saturday my friends. Xoxo

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

$60 for a 6 gallon refill of CAL HME is approx 60 beers. 

vs

2 Busch light 30 pack is $32

Vs

12 pack of michelob Amber bock (which is quite good) is $10. To get  60 bottles it will cost you $50.

Vs

making an all grain 5 gallon batch on average maybe costs $20-$23. And we'll assume 50 beers is the yield. 

The average 2 gal MRB recipe is about $25. The average AG 5 gallon batch is about the same. But you yield an extra 30 beers. 

MRB HME batch takes me 20 minites

A standard refill maybe takes 45 minutes

Partial mash 5 gallon takes 3 hours

all grain batch takes 4-8 hours depending on what you're doing. 

I can't argue the times, HME is a time saver for sure. 

What just makes me laugh is people saying they can't afford a bigger brew kettle to go all grain but then they go buy a seasonal four pack for the same price as my kettle. It cost me approx $160 to go all grain. You know the best part? All my BIAB batches taste like beer, not apple juice. No waiting weeks just to remove an apple taste. You wait for it to carb and then you drink it, depending on the style that is... 

Ive been typing this between feeding the kids and making coffee and holding a crying baby. Sorry for any typos or bad grammar. 

Have be a nice Saturday my friends. Xoxo

I don't think that I've ever produced 20 beers out of a 2 gallon recipe.  Most of my recipes produce between 16-18 12oz bottles.  I just bottled up the Pumpkin Weissbier recipe and that produced 14 GOOD bottles and 2 that may be undrinkable due to massive amounts of sediment.  I can't imagine what this would've produced if I didn't cold crash for 3 days!  Thank goodness I purchased the Bavarian Weissbier for $5/can because at the retail price of $16.95 for 14 good 12oz bottles of beer I would've been very disappointed. 

I think that the powers-that-be at Mr. Beer realized that we, the consumers, were ready to expand our horizons and being the attuned corporation that they are started expanding into partial mash recipes.  It was really a stroke of marketing genius.  Now they can appeal to a wider range of home brewers from the novice to the "brewmaster in training". 

As far as Mr. Beer HME's recipes...  I think that they're a wonderful gateway into the world of home brewing for anyone who wants to give this hobby a go.  I highly doubt that I ever would've taken such an interest in home brewing, or given it a shot, if I didn't come across that $10.00 Beer in a Barrel kit 9mths ago. 

These are just some random thoughts that I felt like sharing with my fellow brewers.  :)

• Like 5

Creeps you do have to give a lot of credit to your all grain friend who inspired you with the A.G. experience, and take in hand that many of us out here didn't or haven't had the great brewing influences that you have acquired, which is awesome! I wish I had! but still for new brewers alike, Mr. Beer is a stepping stone to the next generation of brewers/ brewing, and I have to give all my appreciation and thanks to this company for allowing me get an inexpensive start on a hobby that's turned into my Only Favorite thing to do now!! Ha!.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

Creeps you do have to give a lot of credit to your all grain friend who inspired you with the A.G. experience, and take in hand that many of us out here didn't or haven't had the great brewing influences that you have acquired, which is awesome! I wish I had! but still for new brewers alike, Mr. Beer is a stepping stone to the next generation of brewers/ brewing, and I have to give all my appreciation and thanks to this company for allowing me get an inexpensive start on a hobby that's turned into my Only Favorite thing to do now!! Ha!.

You're my partial mash/grain Yoda, Hoppy!  True story!!  Speaking of Yoda (Star Wars)...  Where has Mr. Why been??

18 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

I don't think that I've ever produced 20 beers out of a 2 gallon recipe.  Most of my recipes produce between 16-18 12oz bottles.  I just bottled up the Pumpkin Weissbier recipe and that produced 14 GOOD bottles and 2 that may be undrinkable due to massive amounts of sediment.  I can't imagine what this would've produced if I didn't cold crash for 3 days!  Thank goodness I purchased the Bavarian Weissbier for $5/can because at the retail price of $16.95 for 14 good 12oz bottles of beer I would've been very disappointed. 

I think that the powers-that-be at Mr. Beer realized that we, the consumers, were ready to expand our horizons and being the attuned corporation that they are started expanding into partial mash recipes.  It was really a stroke of marketing genius.  Now they can appeal to a wider range of home brewers from the novice to the "brewmaster in training". 

As far as Mr. Beer HME's recipes...  I think that they're a wonderful gateway into the world of home brewing for anyone who wants to give this hobby a go.  I highly doubt that I ever would've taken such an interest in home brewing, or given it a shot, if I didn't come across that $10.00 Beer in a Barrel kit 9mths ago. 

These are just some random thoughts that I felt like sharing with my fellow brewers.  :)

5 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

I never would've started brewing if a co worker hadn't given me a free kit. So I thank MRB for that!!!

hoppy, what all grain friend? I have a buddy that I got started. he owes me!! 

7 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

I may start to sound like a whiner here but I just want to say one last thing. New Brewers should try to figure how much they want to brew. 2 gallons at a time isn't that much, approx a case every two months if you only have one LBK. What I did wrong and my buddy did right was he started big and I started small. I bought everything for two gallon batches so when I wanted to make 5's I had to buy new stuff. My buddy went top of the line right away and that might not make sense for a lot of people but it did for him. I bought everything for 2 gallon batches while he bought for 5 with 10's in mind. He has a lot more equipment than me and nicer stuff but we are prob pretty even with money spent.  I now have two of everything. This is not a cheap hobby so I try to minimize costs anywhere I can. 

P.s. We've made a ten gallon batch that costed $100 before... That is obsurd. We're not always very smart.

You don't sound like a whiner at all.  When you have a family to take care of every dollar counts!  Hobbies, in general, are expensive!  I don't even want to think about the amount of money I've "invested" in my hobbies--past & present:

Saltwater Aquariums

Freshwater Aquariums

R/C Cars, Boats, Helicopters, Trucks

Automobiles 

Reptiles & Exotic Animals

Electronics

Etc, etc...!

i'm going middle of the line, got a co worker that has a welder and gonna build my portable stand with it, and invest a little at a time, deciding post pone brewing from may til probably sept now, which should give me the time to have it ready for operation by then, I take in everyones input and try to ingest it all to help improve my means at brewing the beer I want. i'm not going to be successful everytime, but so far it hasn't been a bust for me. and like everyone else, it's all about fun! it's my only passage away from all else that matters

not only reason for postponing. I have a brother last year who I hired to renovate my bathroom and he basically gutted it, then got throw in jail, and its been like this since, so starting may i'm going to attempt to finish where he left off. i'm a lot better at building beer than building bathrooms!

This is an entertaining discussion with some valid points being made on both sides (sorry for the passive voice AC).  Yesterday, as I ordered my 3rd ESB in as many weeks, I did consider for a brief moment about how much $$ is going toward beer these last 8 months.  OK -- the moment passed.  Brewing beer is a fine hobby for me and Mr. Beer, with their partial mash recipes and 2-gallon batch size fits my level of brewing skill as well as consumption rate.  I realized months ago that if I wanted to save money, make a whole lot of beer, and devote even more time to brewing, I could do that.  But for now, I will continue to jump on every Mr. Beer sale or Target clearance that comes my way!?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

I may start to sound like a whiner here but I just want to say one last thing. New Brewers should try to figure how much they want to brew. 2 gallons at a time isn't that much, approx a case every two months if you only have one LBK. What I did wrong and my buddy did right was he started big and I started small. I bought everything for two gallon batches so when I wanted to make 5's I had to buy new stuff. My buddy went top of the line right away and that might not make sense for a lot of people but it did for him. I bought everything for 2 gallon batches while he bought for 5 with 10's in mind. He has a lot more equipment than me and nicer stuff but we are prob pretty even with money spent.  I now have two of everything. This is not a cheap hobby so I try to minimize costs anywhere I can. 

P.s. We've made a ten gallon batch that costed $100 before... That is obsurd. We're not always very smart.

I suspect that the reason that Mr. Beer is successful is that the percentage of all grain brewers that spend a lot on equipment and then quit is much higher than the percentage of Mr. Beer brewers that buy and then quit.

I've heard the "buy big" argument before.  Makes sense UNLESS you get great deals.  For example - I bought a 5 gallon stainless pot for $19.99.  Great for my 5 gallon extract batches, I don't need any valves, and for $20 you can't come close in a big pot.  If I do someday go the wort chiller, large pot, hoses, valves and burner route then I'll spend the money I guess.

However, I can't imagine my consumption rate changing enough to justify it, it's already up to 6 a week which is 3 or 4 times what I used to drink.  

57 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

I suspect that the reason that Mr. Beer is successful is that the percentage of all grain brewers that spend a lot on equipment and then quit is much higher than the percentage of Mr. Beer brewers that buy and then quit.

I've heard the "buy big" argument before.  Makes sense UNLESS you get great deals.  For example - I bought a 5 gallon stainless pot for $19.99.  Great for my 5 gallon extract batches, I don't need any valves, and for $20 you can't come close in a big pot.  If I do someday go the wort chiller, large pot, hoses, valves and burner route then I'll spend the money I guess.

However, I can't imagine my consumption rate changing enough to justify it, it's already up to 6 a week which is 3 or 4 times what I used to drink.  

Couldn't agree more but ofcourse I must further the discussion because this is a lot of fun.  I think there's a lot of forum members who use MRB and don't get the results they expect. The beer in two weeks or three weeks is crazy. The temp ranges they give to brew their beer is more very misleading. It's like the "get them in the door" sales method. Once they have our LBK they'll be forced to stick with us or just quit. I think a lot more people quit after MRB than you think. 

Youre an extract brewer. You have no need for a chiller or a bigger pot. I'm a "brew whatever I feel like" kind of brewer. I really enjoy using briess extracts with a full 60 minute boil and the option to top off if the chiller is at my buddy's house. That method needs nothing more than a three gallon pot and a little bit more time. I never mentioned that method previously. That may take 3 hours realistically but still would only cost $20 for 2.5 gallons or maybe $30 for 5 gallons. 

The big buy method is silly unless you're really passionate about this and you have extra time and a very accepting wife or no wife at all. Plus a decent job to support this beast of a hobby. I don't reccomend a big buy but I was a rare case where I probably could've gotten away with it. 

The hobby is dependant upon your consumption. I drink more beer than I should. That's why we've moved up to 10 gallons. And it's a great reason to get together with friends and watch some water boil and drink. 

Not to single you out Rick but what do you actually brew with? I remember hoppy telling you about a sale and you said you don't use MRB anymore? How long does it take? How much is an average batch? I know you like your porters and other beers that have more minimal hop additions.

ttyl 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Oh and one more thing. Kids and wife are napping, I could type all day.  I waited until the 6G kit went on sale and I snatched it up.  Cost me like $100 and I couldnt have been happier.  I brewed my 6 gallons of CAL immediately.  Then i started to brew more and learn more and when my buddy asked what he should buy to get started i showed him the brewers best kit.  Lets compare shall we?

MRB 6G kit: (from Memory) $100 on sale

6 gallon Fermenter w/ burp collar

plenty of bottles

6 gallons worth of CAL

Snatizer

Bottling Wand

Carb Drops

Brewers Best: $79 dollars on sale

6.5 gal Primary Fermenter

6 gal Carboy (also could be used as a fermenter)

Carboy Brush

6 gal Bottling Bucket (also could be used as a fermenter)

Capper

Bottle Filler

Plastic Paddle

Bottling Spigot

Book

Easy Clean

Econo-Lock

Thermometers

Hydrometer

Siphon Hose

Bottle Brush

Lid

Auto-Siphon

This is why I had someone steering me in the right direction when I started.  Im not bashing here... Read my review on the Bad Moon Rising from last night.  That stuff is superb!!! (<-- $5 HME Deal) Ive had some good ones and Ive had some bad ones. I actually like the CAL, I like my Wiess so far too (<-- $7 HME deal).  The howling Red ale is very nice.  Im still getting used to the wicked warmer whatever with bourbon.

Heres the end of my rants (probably not)

Dear Mr Beer, Lower your damn prices.  Im sure youre doing well for yourselves and Im very proud of you.  But Creeps McLane will only buy your product when its at a reasonable price.  And one last thing cuz Im feeling aggressive now.  Your HME taste like HME.  Get rid of the extract taste however you must.  Ive brewed perfect batches with LME and AG with no off flavors.  Your product has a distinctive taste and its not good.  The best part of your company is the forum.  That was mean, Im sorry but Im sure you all know exactly what Im talking about.  You need the forum to learn how to correctly brew your beer.  Thanks to the Vets who have been helping newbs for years.  Oh and the other best thing in your company is @MRB Josh R . Hes the reason I stay on this forum and youve generated a lot of sales off of him and his knowledge and patience with us newbs.  Slap Hands

P.S. to new brewers.  You'll make wonderful beers with the MRB partial Mashes.  Wonderful no doubt.  Go in that direction.  the grains and an extended boil with the the wort will benefit you so much.  And control your temps.  That is the secret to MRB if youre content with 2 gallon batches.  Now go, Go my son and brew like a God.  Amen

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Couldn't agree more but ofcourse I must further the discussion because this is a lot of fun.  I think there's a lot of forum members who use MRB and don't get the results they expect. The beer in two weeks or three weeks is crazy. The temp ranges they give to brew their beer is more very misleading. It's like the "get them in the door" sales method. Once they have our LBK they'll be forced to stick with us or just quit. I think a lot more people quit after MRB than you think. 

Youre an extract brewer. You have no need for a chiller or a bigger pot. I'm a "brew whatever I feel like" kind of brewer. I really enjoy using briess extracts with a full 60 minute boil and the option to top off if the chiller is at my buddy's house. That method needs nothing more than a three gallon pot and a little bit more time. I never mentioned that method previously. That may take 3 hours realistically but still would only cost $20 for 2.5 gallons or maybe $30 for 5 gallons. 

The big buy method is silly unless you're really passionate about this and you have extra time and a very accepting wife or no wife at all. Plus a decent job to support this beast of a hobby. I don't reccomend a big buy but I was a rare case where I probably could've gotten away with it. 

The hobby is dependant upon your consumption. I drink more beer than I should. That's why we've moved up to 10 gallons. And it's a great reason to get together with friends and watch some water boil and drink. 

Not to single you out Rick but what do you actually brew with? I remember hoppy telling you about a sale and you said you don't use MRB anymore? How long does it take? How much is an average batch? I know you like your porters and other beers that have more minimal hop additions.

ttyl 

I brew 5 gallon extract batches  Several are linked in my signature.  2.5 gallons of water, 6+ lbs of LME, steeped grains and hops. Low $20 to low $30 for 5 gallons. Split between two LBKs.  5 gallon pot, quart and pint measuring cup, strainer, scale.  I buy LME for $2.50 a pound, hops in 4 oz bags for around $1.25 an ounce or less,  grains for $1.69 a pound or so, dry yeast for $3 or so.  Takes about 4.5 hours including cleanup.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Oh and one more thing. Kids and wife are napping, I could type all day.  I waited until the 6G kit went on sale and I snatched it up.  Cost me like $100 and I couldnt have been happier.  I brewed my 6 gallons of CAL immediately.  Then i started to brew more and learn more and when my buddy asked what he should buy to get started i showed him the brewers best kit.  Lets compare shall we?

MRB 6G kit: (from Memory) $100 on sale

6 gallon Fermenter w/ burp collar

plenty of bottles

6 gallons worth of CAL

Snatizer

Bottling Wand

Carb Drops

Brewers Best: $79 dollars on sale

6.5 gal Primary Fermenter

6 gal Carboy (also could be used as a fermenter)

Carboy Brush

6 gal Bottling Bucket (also could be used as a fermenter)

Capper

Bottle Filler

Plastic Paddle

Bottling Spigot

Book

Easy Clean

Econo-Lock

Thermometers

Hydrometer

Siphon Hose

Bottle Brush

Lid

Auto-Siphon

This is why I had someone steering me in the right direction when I started.  Im not bashing here... Read my review on the Bad Moon Rising from last night.  That stuff is superb!!! (<-- $5 HME Deal) Ive had some good ones and Ive had some bad ones. I actually like the CAL, I like my Wiess so far too (<-- $7 HME deal).  The howling Red ale is very nice.  Im still getting used to the wicked warmer whatever with bourbon.

Heres the end of my rants (probably not)

Dear Mr Beer, Lower your damn prices.  Im sure youre doing well for yourselves and Im very proud of you.  But Creeps McLane will only buy your product when its at a reasonable price.  And one last thing cuz Im feeling aggressive now.  Your HME taste like HME.  Get rid of the extract taste however you must.  Ive brewed perfect batches with LME and AG with no off flavors.  Your product has a distinctive taste and its not good.  The best part of your company is the forum.  That was mean, Im sorry but Im sure you all know exactly what Im talking about.  You need the forum to learn how to correctly brew your beer.  Thanks to the Vets who have been helping newbs for years.  Oh and the other best thing in your company is @MRB Josh R . Hes the reason I stay on this forum and youve generated a lot of sales off of him and his knowledge and patience with us newbs.  Slap Hands

P.S. to new brewers.  You'll make wonderful beers with the MRB partial Mashes.  Wonderful no doubt.  Go in that direction.  the grains and an extended boil with the the wort will benefit you so much.  And control your temps.  That is the secret to MRB if youre content with 2 gallon batches.  Now go, Go my son and brew like a God.  Amen

"Your HME taste like HME.  Get rid of the extract taste however you must." 

Is this that strange aftertaste you get?  I've noticed it over & over again, but thought that it was just me. 

I used to be in restoring muscle cars/trucks and invested into the pneumatic air & tools, then got rid of all that about 15 years ago, then acquired a ski boat that I finally abandoned and the darn thing is still in my driveway 50% finished, and when I started this hobby I was gonna be dam sure I finish. well i'm 100% brewing beer with a 100% of the time I have free. my last hobby I care to do

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

"Your HME taste like HME.  Get rid of the extract taste however you must." 

Is this that strange aftertaste you get?  I've noticed it over & over again, but thought that it was just me. 

• Like 1

I too Buy on sale but I like the low time/effort it takes. I like a small batch so I can make lots of different flavors.  I may make 3 batches a month and now have a decent pipeline extending for up to a year on some brews. AND I can carry LBKs from basement to Kitchen with no difficulty.

I experiment with lowering cost, that is one reason I tried splitting a Coopers can between 3 LBKs. Yes I added stuff, but not excessively.

I am now doing more with partial mash, but I am not ready to go the All Grain and 5-10 gal route. Mostly though, I experiment with various extract additions, LME & DME, and hops.

Mr B's method keeps all my stuff in the basement out of the way of SWMBO.

Still having fun with it.

Cheers!

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

I too Buy on sale but I like the low time/effort it takes. I like a small batch so I can make lots of different flavors.  I may make 3 batches a month and now have a decent pipeline extending for up to a year on some brews. AND I can carry LBKs from basement to Kitchen with no difficulty.

I experiment with lowering cost, that is one reason I tried splitting a Coopers can between 3 LBKs. Yes I added stuff, but not excessively.

I am now doing more with partial mash, but I am not ready to go the All Grain and 5-10 gal route. Mostly though, I experiment with various extract additions, LME & DME, and hops.

Cheers!

I want to try coopers too but I'd have to do some comparisons.nmaybe I'll do some research tonight. I can get briess LME for $13 at the LHBS or $9 online plus shipping. Is coopers the same as muntons? I think I've seen muntons at the store but I'm not familiar with it so I pass it by.

I'm always open to options. I like full creative control of my brews or I would like to know what they're hopped with. I want it all, fast, good, and easy.

I've been trying to find recipes I can make with only a 20 minute boil and some LME but every beer seems to need a bittering addition to offset the malt. Best I can come up with is a 40 min boil but by then I may as well just do a full 60.

On April 30, 2016 at 8:16 PM, Bonsai & Brew said:

I've got a batch 10 days in that I did with 3 oz. Caramel 40 and 4 oz. Victory.  I could sneak a taste and see how it is?

On April 29, 2016 at 3:22 PM, sabres032 said:

What specialty grains would go with this kit to make this a partial mash? 

Well, at 1.015 and I'm pretty sure that this is going to turn out fine -- lots of flavor and from what I've read on the style, nice ESB character.  I chose grains based on a Google search, so who knows?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

Cheers!

Looking online and Muntons and Coopers is approx $17 for 3.3 lbs or 3 lbs, whatever they are.

Briess LME for 3.3 is about $9

I cant find anyone else selling Briess LME outside of my area.  What do y'all get it for?  The factory is 20 miles from me here in Green Bay.  Maybe I get it cheaper? 

13 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Looking online and Muntons and Coopers is approx $17 for 3.3 lbs or 3 lbs, whatever they are.

Briess LME for 3.3 is about $9

I cant find anyone else selling Briess LME outside of my area.  What do y'all get it for?  The factory is 20 miles from me here in Green Bay.  Maybe I get it cheaper? 

My LHBS store sells Briess LME and DME, 3.3lb LME is $10.95 and the DME is $5.95 per pound. They also sell Muntons LME and DME for about the same price. 

I just ordered two cans of the ESB along with an extra LBK since I broke one. I'm planning on about 2lbs grains to add to the cans of ESB and making a 5 gallon partial mash kit. Going to do some more research on the amount and style of grains to keep within ESB style and abv% Mr. Beer cans for. 

• Like 1

Briess LME for $9 is a good deal, it's usually higher - $10.95 - $11.99.  

I buy bulk LME for $2.50 a pound with my own container, they ship it for $3 per pound.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Briess LME for $9 is a good deal, it's usually higher - $10.95 - $11.99.  

I buy bulk LME for $2.50 a pound with my own container, they ship it for $3 per pound.  

Unfortunately my LHBS does not have bulk LME. If AIHB has bulk LME shipped for $3.00/lb I just may order from there and save the drive. 

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 9:10 PM, Creeps McLane said:

I want to try coopers too but I'd have to do some comparisons.nmaybe I'll do some research tonight. I can get briess LME for $13 at the LHBS or $9 online plus shipping. Is coopers the same as muntons? I think I've seen muntons at the store but I'm not familiar with it so I pass it by.

I'm always open to options. I like full creative control of my brews or I would like to know what they're hopped with. I want it all, fast, good, and easy.

I've been trying to find recipes I can make with only a 20 minute boil and some LME but every beer seems to need a bittering addition to offset the malt. Best I can come up with is a 40 min boil but by then I may as well just do a full 60.

Try this then, with no boiling (except for water initially)

I tried my 1 week old test 2/3 full dregs bottle after 4 hours in the fridge (all non-recommended practices) and I really liked it. I think it was close. It tasted really smooth. Sure to be better after a couple months.

I am cooling the Mod#1 and Mod #3 made with the other 2/3 of the Cooper's can now to get contrast.

Cooper's Dark Ale Mod #2   All un-hopped malts are Briess.
1/3 can Cooper's Dark Ale + 8 oz Special Dark LME + 8 oz  sparkling amber DME +  8 oz pils light DME +  HBC438 hop 0.5 oz @ flameout  (HME dissolved separately and divided between  LBKs). Carbonation 2 sugar dots per 750 mL.

ABV --> 1/3 Cooper's = 2.35 + LME= 1 + DME (=1 + 1) --> 5.35% 

I reckon that is almost same as 1/3 Cooper's +   1x Robust + 1x Smooth + 1x Pale - hops to taste. I found the bitterness enough but tastes differ.

Of course you can use the Coopers's can  and make 6 gal in one pot by using 3x malt and hops that I did.

I did not go out of my way to lowball the malts, so I paid for 1 lb bags of DME and the 3.3 lb LME can at the higher end mentioned. Still figure per LBK, $6 for the Coopers (on sale) and $6 for 1.5 lb DME  and I used the Cooper's yeast (1/3 per LBK.)

I am OK with $12 for 2 gal of beer, although you all grain guys will laugh at me  - LOL

Cooper's Dark Ale Mod#2.jpg

• Like 1

I just sumhow got on sum Russian black market website, must have ben the light web, a gentle side of the dark web, and purchased 50 kilos of raw pale lme that I have to pick up in india then ship to nova scotia then to Oklahoma. well i'm on a cargo plane as I type, kinda bumpy bcuz its cheappp flyt, shud be ind india ind about 7 hrs, will post more info when I pass border patrol with Rickbeer passport that a frnd hacked

• Like 1

On 5/1/2016 at 6:10 PM, Creeps McLane said:

No, Coopers is the same as Mr. Beer. Coopers owns MRB, and they make all of our extracts (since 2012).

Coopers is same company, but does not mean products are same unless identical label. I.E. Cooper's Lager mightnot be same as Mr B Lager (it might be but can't be expected.).

The Coopers Dark Ale part 3 of 3, tastes totally different.

Bitterness comes through with little sweetness unlike #2. Some nay be from different hop (EKG), some may be from the additional Dark LME. The bitterness lingers in the mouth, not unpleasantly but is more of a roasty bitterness. I think a small amount of sweetness would improve to take the edge off it - that is to substitute some of the Sparkling Amber or Trad Dark Malt for some of the Light DME to get residual sweetness up a notch but not much though.

Quite drinkable though, just a different darker drink.

It may round out after a couple months.

Coopers DA3.jpg

Cooper's Dark Ale, part 1 of 3. Cooper's original recipe (I used Mr Booster instead of Cooper's Brew Enhancer but close to same).

If making 6 Gal, use 1 can Cooper's DA and 3 packs Mr Booster.

This is a serviceable Mild Ale close to English style. Calculated at 3.5% ABV. Sessionable.

Lighter color, inoffensive.

OK - even after 1 week carbonating and 4 hrs only in fridge, I will say that I really enjoyed a 2nd glass with Spicy beef stir-fry.

Coopers DA1.jpg

• Like 1

My two cans of ESB and replacement LBK arrived today. Score!!!!! In two weeks I brew them.. Like I said earlier I'm going to buy some grains and make this a 5 gallon partial mash batch.

The Nottingham yeast packets that came with the kits are 11 grams each. Since one pack will be enough to ferment a 5 gallon batch, I have an extra Nottingham yeast packet for something else. Double score!!!!!

• Like 4

got my two cans today as well! will be brewing one of them Friday maybe if I have time. one can is dented so will have to leave it unopened on stove burner while I'm at work tonight to let it melt back to original shape should be ready by morning

• Like 2

So I've been doing research on all grain and partial mash ESB recipes and it's all so confusing. I'm not at all familiar with the ESB style and, quiet frankly, I'm in information overload right now. I have two cans of the Mr Beer ESB and my plan is to mash some grains (possibly boil some hops for 10 or 15 minutes if needed) to make a five gallon ESB batch to stay within the Mr Beer ESB style. @MRB Josh R I concede to your expertise. What grains (and what amount) would you recommend to keep within the Mr Beer ESB style to produce a five gallon batch? I have recently converted a 5 gallon Igloo water cooler into a mash/lauter tun so I do have the capability to do a proper mash and batch sparge instead of just a grain steep. Any help without divulging the proprietary recipe would be greatly appreciated. 

• Like 2

Well first of all, our kits do 2 gallons, which means you'd either have the ability to do a 4 gallon batch or a 6 gallon batch. Sure, you could do a 5 gallon batch, but if you use 3 cans, it will be too strong for the style. If you use 2 cans, it will be too weak for the style.

Steep some carapils. That's about all I'd add to it as the seasonal cans are pretty good on their own, especially the ESB. Maybe a little 2-row and an equal amount of flaked barley.

There's absolutely no need to do a batch sparge unless you're doing an all-grain batch. You won't be using more than a pound of grain so it's pointless. Sparges and "proper" mashes are intended to flush the sugars out of base malt in all-grain recipes. The HME is your base malt so there's no need to do a full mash as it won't benefit you in any way.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2016 at 11:23 AM, MRB Josh R said:

Well first of all, our kits do 2 gallons, which means you'd either have the ability to do a 4 gallon batch or a 6 gallon batch. Sure, you could do a 5 gallon batch, but if you use 3 cans, it will be too strong for the style. If you use 2 cans, it will be too weak for the style.

Steep some carapils. That's about all I'd add to it as the seasonal cans are pretty good on their own, especially the ESB. Maybe a little 2-row and an equal amount of flaked barley.

There's absolutely no need to do a batch sparge unless you're doing an all-grain batch. You won't be using more than a pound of grain so it's pointless. Sparges and "proper" mashes are intended to flush the sugars out of base malt in all-grain recipes. The HME is your base malt so there's no need to do a full mash as it won't benefit you in any way.

I only have two cans of the ESB and I was kind of hoping to mash about three pounds of grains to make up for the extra gallon of water. But, I ran out of disposable cash for this pay period so I'll just combined the cans and do a four gallon batch. Figure I'll be this on Monday. 

• Like 1

I think that most of this convo overlooked the fact that the LBK and Mr. Beer system is a way to easily identify a beer you'd like to make and have fun making it at home with minimal initial investment and relative ease.

The most important part to note is: you can make great tasting beer at home! (and in quantities that don't involves cases and cases of something you might not like.)

• Like 3

I brewed both cans yesterday to make a four gallon batch which is fermenting in a five gallon carboy. Pitched the yeast 3pm yesterday at 65 degrees and there is already action in the carboy this morning at 8am. This Nottingham yeast is no joke. 

• Like 4