Mr.Beer Community
itsstouttime

Do I need Carapils with Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout

Getting ready to start a batch of Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout with partial mash recipe. I'm planning on drinking it July Fourth. I will re post with results. I am wondering if I should run to the store and get some Carapils , because I really want a good long frothy head on this.

Since it is not part of the recipe you do not "need" it. 

But from what I understand adding it won't hurt.

• Like 1

Yeah - honestly neither have I.....or it has been hit and miss depending on how hard I pour, etc. Plus each refill has a different profile.

Was one of your others an Irish stout? 

I think with the added grains, etc. You will have more of a chance of getting the frothy top. 

But no harm in trying and if it is easy enough to grab some carapils go for it. Why not right?

Or brew without, see what happens, and add it to the mix next time if you like beer enough to brew again.

The only other two batches I've done were Pilsners. I have to drive to the home brew store about 45 minute drive there and back, but I think it's worth it. Depending on how this turns out I think I'll just start ordering Carapils with each order.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I use 4 oz of  carapils with every beer I brew.  While adding this to a recipe doesn't guarantee a big foamy head and lengthy retention, in my experience it's made a noticeable difference.  The other day I drank a Staggerback Stout that I'd brewed with carapils; it poured with a nice creamy head that stayed around for a good long time and left nice lacing on the glass.  One wouldn't think that  malt-heavy recipe like that (it uses two cans of HME, for those unfamiliar with it) would benefit that much from the effect of the grain, but the head and retention were far better than I remember from the first time I brewed that beer, without carapils.  And it's only $1.79/lb at my LHBS.

Which is a long, wordy way of saying "Go for it!"

• Like 2

45 minutes to and from is quite a commitment, especially for grains!

Order carapils with every order now!

For me. that is my "golden LME," "carb drops" and "booster."

I don't care. If I am brewing it I am throwing golden LME in it so I am ordering it with every brew. And you know what? I like having a nice solid ABV so I',m throwing in booster too. And bottling? I hate using sugar. It sucks and sticks to the sugar pour thing. So I'm using carb drops every time as well.

• Like 2

You don't need Carapils with any beer, but it doesn't hurt, either. But with the oats, that beer does have a nice head already, with great retention, too. But the addition of Carapils should boost the body a bit more. Personally, I would just add more oats and 2-row.

• Like 1