Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JoshR

Specialty Grain Ideas

Hey guys, are there any specialty grains you would like to see Mr. Beer carry in the future for our partial mash recipes?

• Like 1

cara red, biscuit, cara hell, midnight wheat, smoked malt

• Like 3

Melanoidin might be a good one to look at. Big malt flavor and some red/copper color addition without too much residual sugar. Good for adding malty richness that may be lacking in some extract recipes.

12 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

Hey guys, are there any specialty grains you would like to see Mr. Beer carry in the future for our partial mash recipes?

I mash cara red with all my red ale recipes. great flavour.  make a good imperial red hme  partial mash recipe for all to enjoy.

• Like 2

Maris Otter, along with Peated malt would make a nice addition to your Churchill Nut Brown Ale Craft series

• Like 2

Good one, Hoppy!  It would indeed be nice to have Maris Otter available here.

• Like 1

Maris Otter is a great malt, but really only works as a base malt, rather than a specialty malt. It's simply a high grade English 2-row. It wouldn't impart much to the beer compared to cheaper 2-row unless used in large amounts.

• Like 1

English Chocolate makes a nice addition to the Porter & Stout.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

Maris Otter is a great malt, but really only works as a base malt, rather than a specialty malt. It's simply a high grade English 2-row. It wouldn't impart much to the beer compared to cheaper 2-row unless used in large amounts.

I think you'd have to do something approaching a mini-mash, but it would be worth it. I think you'd have to get a pound or so for a 2.5 gallon recipe to make much impact. And you'd have to keep it at 150 or so for at least 30 minutes. Aside from holding temperature and amount of water, mashing isn't fundamentally different from steeping.

MO can give really good conversion efficiency, but it is definitely a base malt.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Definitely Special B!:)

#specialB4theWIN!

• Like 2

I would like to see some recipes / kits using specialty adjuncts like Flaked Corn, Rice, Barley, Wheat, and Oats.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, satdiver said:

I would like to see some recipes / kits using specialty adjuncts like Flaked Corn, Rice, Barley, Wheat, and Oats.

The Whispering Wheat uses Red Wheat Flakes in it.  Great recipe btw.  Welcome to the forums! :)