Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jrblessing1

Brewing a Diablo IPA today

This is my second attempt to a new hobby. First attempt came out good with what came in my kit. Any suggestions on doing my first IPA? 

Yep, just follow the kit instructions and make sure everything is sanitized. Don't bother tinkering with the kit until after you've brewed it and get a feel for the flavor and bitterness. 

Cheers and happy brew day. 

• Like 2

great ipa. I made it and loved it. still my favorite homebrew kit for an ipa

Taste is good but aroma is light. For more aroma I would dry hop it with 1 oz citra or cascade.  Put in sterilized hop bag an put in lbk 1 to 2 weeks before bottling. That will give great citrous or grapefruity aroma. 

This is a good brew to cut your teeth on.  Like others, I would suggest brewing it straight-up first.  Once you've tasted it, you can try brewing it again later with some tinkering.  I enjoyed it when I made it the first time, but it was even better the second time with the addition of 1 oz of Cascade hops (in my case I did a 30-minute boil with 1/2 oz and dry-hopped with the other 1/2 oz).  Now I have a Black IPA in an LBK that will be ready for bottling this week, using Diablo as a base.  In my opinion, this is one of MrBeer's best.

2 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

Taste is good but aroma is light. For more aroma I would dry hop it with 1 oz citra or cascade.  Put in sterilized hop bag an put in lbk 1 to 2 weeks before bottling. That will give great citrous or grapefruity aroma. 

I've always read anything more than a five day dry hop starts to give grassy flavors. But yes, cascade, citra our even Falconer Flight 7C's dry hop will give the new prenominal aroma. 

19 hours ago, sabres032 said:

I've always read anything more than a five day dry hop starts to give grassy flavors. But yes, cascade, citra our even Falconer Flight 7C's dry hop will give the new prenominal aroma. 

Depends on the hops, but this is generally true. I usually dry-hop 5-7 days before bottling. 2 weeks is too long. 

• Like 1

the diablo ipa on its own merit is a good kit.  once you try it, if you can find Blackduck diablo ipa recipe somewhere here its a modified version that is outstanding.  follow the thread to the end to see all the changes and additions etc.  I would wait until I was more familiar with the process of brewing and when I felt ready for hop additions etc.   his recipe was my first krausen volcano! 

start with the post from blackduck dated dec 7 2012.  read to its conclusion. it will walk you through his recipe, his findings etc.

I did his recipe as stated in 12/7 and loved it.  click on the "reply to diablo ipa dry hop" to go to the thread.

• Like 1