Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
craftbeersyndrome

My brewing bug is back!

Well, it's been over 9 months since the last time I brewed any beer. The last two didn't turn out. So, I got discouraged and quit like and dummy! A few months ago I got the urge to brew again, but kept putting it off until tonight! I'm gonna try it again! I ordered The Partytime Pilsner and I'm gonna steep some Pilsen Malt with the recipe. I'm supper excited about it...I can't wait to get started. This will be my 8th batch that I've brewed and I'm hoping this one pans out, because I don't want to buy beer from the store anymore!!  Cheers!

• Like 6

Welcome back! I really hope it turns out well for you. There is nothing better than producing a beer that puts a smile on your face every sip you take.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DjPorkchop73 said:

Welcome back! I really hope it turns out well for you. There is nothing better than producing a beer that puts a smile on your face every sip you take.

Thanks! You're right about that. I was looking back through my beer brew notes and found that, the last 3 beers I brewed didn't pan out. I brewed Horse's Ass Ale 3 times and the first batch was great, not so great the last two. Jamaican Mon was a complete disaster!! It still tastes like rubbing alcohol after 9 months. I have no clue what happened. Oh well, I'm starting fresh and I'm excited about the grains that Mr. Beer has added. Cheers! 

rubbing alcohol... fusels...  compounds produced when yeast is stressed out usually due to too hot a fermentation that give the beer a solvent like or rubbing alcohol taste.  once you got them you are kinda stuck with them in your batch. they don't go away.

when you brew you want to look up the optimal conditions for the  yeast you are using. the mr beer ale yeast you ought to shoot for keeping your fermenter in a cooler with ice at around 64-67f.   fermentation produces heat. inside the fermenter it can get 5-10f hotter than ambient air temp.  if your cooler is 64 and you get a really nutso ferment going, the wort can reach 74f+... which can start to make fusels.  "fusel" is german for "damn this beer tastes like rubbing alcohol!"

I made a mead once that hit 18% abv. I didn't bother with temp controls and it was full of fusels. the hangovers were monumentally bad headache-wise.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

rubbing alcohol... fusels...  compounds produced when yeast is stressed out usually due to too hot a fermentation that give the beer a solvent like or rubbing alcohol taste.  once you got them you are kinda stuck with them in your batch. they don't go away.

when you brew you want to look up the optimal conditions for the  yeast you are using. the mr beer ale yeast you ought to shoot for keeping your fermenter in a cooler with ice at around 64-67f.   fermentation produces heat. inside the fermenter it can get 5-10f hotter than ambient air temp.  if your cooler is 64 and you get a really nutso ferment going, the wort can reach 74f+... which can start to make fusels.  "fusel" is german for "damn this beer tastes like rubbing alcohol!"

I made a mead once that hit 18% abv. I didn't bother with temp controls and it was full of fusels. the hangovers were monumentally bad headache-wise.

Yeah, I had it fermenting in my basement which was around 67 and the stick on thermometer read around 68 or 70 if I remember correctly. This is good to know for the future. I'll be using US-05 on this next batch and it says 59-75 for the temp. range. So should I try and ferment more on the low side like around 59-64?

us 05 is a nice, simple yeast. ..clean fermenting.  I didn't notice it contributing anything to flavor profile at 64-68f.   us04 on the other hand...  I try to keep 64f or lower.  I have found that if it gets hot it produces bizarre apple like flavors that I don't like in my stouts.  the 05 never gave me vigorous fermentations. the us04? some of my most explosive ferments came from us04.

additional note:  some yeast actually perform better hottish and contribute all manner of flavors.. a hefeweisen yeast fermented hot can make tons of banana or bubblegum flavors.  a saison fermented warmer than usual makes the most complex funky, fruity, floral flavors.  know your yeast. cant be stressed enough along with use the right yeast for the beer youre making.

• Like 1

Zorak?  I've been checking the obituaries for months. I thought for sure we had lost you.

• Like 4

nah, still alive.  since the reboot here I haven't been doing much brewing.  . . or posting.  had a bunch of stuff going on work, home, lack of funds, etc etc etc...    I try to pop in now and then to see if I can put my 1 cent into a conversation. not a big fan of mr b's format.  it was fine before but that's just my opinion.   I am slowly getting my brew back on. got 2 in the fermenter.. one on the books and plenty more to do soon. 

• Like 2