Mr.Beer Community
Snuffy

Intro to the forum

Hello all, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm 56, been drinking beer for over 40 years (don't tell my mom) and have never ever thought about brewing my own beer.

Received a MRB kit from the wife, the one with the plastic bottles and 2 cans, pilsner and cerveza. She also got me two of the American Light said they were bogo. They came with booster packs while the two in the kit did not.

I have been reading the forum when I can, I mixed up the Czech Pilsner and it has been sitting in my closet for a week @ around 66-68 degrees. I have been using one of those heat guns and pointing it at the liquid in the LBK. So I plan on going 3 weeks in the keg, then bottle and will move the bottles upstairs where the temp is 75°F for 4 weeks, then put a couple in the fridge and taste. Thinking about getting another keg for 10 bucks and mixing up another batch in the meantime.

I prefer dark beers most of the time, I like porters and stouts, like the Oatmeal Porter from Highland Brewing. I live near Asheville and hope to travel there soon and check out the brewpubs. I also love Spaten Optimator, SA Octoberfest, and pumpkin ales. I really dig those pumpkin ales in the Fall...... I usually buy several cases of PA to last me into the next year, and last year I got 6 cases of SA Octoberfest to drink to make the PA's last but they were gone by mid January.

I do not care for IPA's,  they are too hoppy for me.

Also I hate Corona....I'm thinking of throwing the can of Aztec Cerveza in with the CAL along with the booster pack, think that will work? I'm not a big fan of Bud, or the light beers, but I need to learn the process of brewing first.

Also is a bottling wand needed or can I use tygon tubing cut to the length of the bottles?

I truly appreciated those who have contributed to this forum, and I look forward to brewing beer that I will enjoy.

Snuffy

• Like 2

Welcome Snuffy!

I assume you mean you're aiming a temp gun at the liquid, not a heat-producing gun?

A bottling wand works great, you open the spigot once and the wand generates a perfect fill every time.

You can check the recipe section of MrBeer.com for what you could do with Aztec and/or Cal.  Doing both, with a booster, will generate an ABV around 7.1% and take a few months to condition.  

Read the info in my sig while you're waiting.

• Like 1

Welcome to the community, Snuffy! :D

1 hour ago, Snuffy said:

Also I hate Corona....I'm thinking of throwing the can of Aztec Cerveza in with the CAL along with the booster pack, think that will work?

Yes, that will work fine. It will be around 7-8% so be sure you stay at the low end of the temp scale to prevent or minimize any overflows.

1 hour ago, Snuffy said:

Also is a bottling wand needed or can I use tygon tubing cut to the length of the bottles?

Any food grade tubing will work, but a bottling wand is just so much easier.

• Like 2

Thanks all. Yes Rick I made a poor choice of words, it a temp measuring gun.

Welcome aboard, sir!  You're gonna love doing this...  I promise! :)

• Like 1

Welcome - If you want an easy to make  rich, dark beer get a can of the Porter Hopped extract and put in a pack of Robust and a pack of Smooth LMEs. Gives you an mixture of roasty and caramelly flavors at about 5.5% ABV.

Another good one to try is "Roses Rambling Red" recipe if you like the Oktoberfesty ones.

• Like 2

Like creams said Snuffy welcome to the addiction, I was hooked after my first brew , happy brewing and welcome to the forums 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Snuffy said:

Also I hate Corona....I'm thinking of throwing the can of Aztec Cerveza in with the CAL along with the booster pack, think that will work? I'm not a big fan of Bud, or the light beers, but I need to learn the process of brewing first.

One of the earliest brews I did was a CAL with Munich, Crystal 80 and Roasted Barley for steeped grains, a good dose of DME for hop boil, over a lb of Amber LME for dark malty flavor and hopped with Chinook and Willamette. You wouldn't hate that one if you like big, dark beers.

Better yet, just brew up the CAL and let your in-laws drink it and get some of the ESB on sale and give that a go. ;)

• Like 1

Welcome Snuffy,

I am into this hobby now for over a year and my beer gets compliments now.

It takes mistakes to learn and the more you read and discuss in the forums, The beer gets better than you can buy.

I tried corona once.

Best, M

• Like 2

Welcome! You'll find the forums informative and generally entertaining. It seems like most everyone covered the basics, and it also seems like you've been doing some research on here. There's always plenty to learn.

• Like 1

welcome Snuffy! 56 yrs old and been drinking for 40 years, well I wouldn't know anything about drinking all those years, seems to me u have a drinking problem and my only suggestion, ( it's what I do when I don't know what to do) Brew More Drink More!!! and I pray that you don't developed Obsessive Brewing Disorder!!! It's a Terrible Disease!!

• Like 2

If you like S.A. Try the powerful patriot ale, I liked the first 4.25 gallons,i make 6 this time around it made Sam taste like water at my side by side comparison, I highly recommend it, patients is the key to this one though,6 to 8 weeks in the bottle then fridge for 7days 

• Like 1