Mr.Beer Community
kraig927

Churchhill nut brown recipe ideas

I am looking to make the nut brown and am looking for some recipe ideas. I am looking to mash some grain, and add a lme and a hop boil as well. Also any yeast suggestions for this batch as well. 

Depends on what you like because the possibilities are endless with this refill.

Personally, I would keep it to style as an English nut brown, but I would bring it more malt forward with some Munich or Vienna malt (2-4 oz) and maybe some Crystal 60 (2-4 oz). I'd possibly add a bit of Victory malt (2-4oz) for more "nuttiness". I wouldn't do a hop boil at all. Instead, maybe add 1/2 Fuggle at flameout. I would use S-04, or any other British yeast.

• Like 5

I have a nut brown ale in 5 gallon secondary and I brewed it with peated malt to make it more an Scottish brown ale, but I think I got a lil carried away with the peated malt and it basically dominates the flavor. once again if u use peated malt, no more than 2oz. per 5 gallon and I might have gone 4oz.

• Like 1

Hmmm.  I have this refill and some Munich malt.  Was planning to brew it straight-up first as a baseline, but this is tempting.

Thanks cisco...think I'll give that a try...some new mr beer recipes on there as well if others haven't seen the site. Not trying to go all mad scientist or anything but what does everyone think of me mashing .5 - 1  lb of marris otter grain with this recipe ?

10 hours ago, kraig927 said:

Thanks cisco...think I'll give that a try...some new mr beer recipes on there as well if others haven't seen the site. Not trying to go all mad scientist or anything but what does everyone think of me mashing .5 - 1  lb of marris otter grain with this recipe ?

Most of those are actually old recipes that we have revived.

Mashing Maris Otter won't be any different than mashing regular 2-row, except more expensive. As mentioned in a previous thread, Marris Otter is a base malt, not a specialty malt. Base malts don't provide much to partial mash recipes other than enzymes to convert specialty malts. Maris Otter is best used in an all-grain recipe. 

• Like 1

thanks josh. What specialty malts would compliment this recipe then ? I have some caramel 120 I need to use up if that would work. Might be  a little too dark a grain? Also some carahell but don't think it will match the flavour profile.

4 minutes ago, kraig927 said:

thanks josh. What specialty malts would compliment this recipe then ? I have some caramel 120 I need to use up if that would work. Might be  a little too dark a grain? Also some carahell but don't think it will match the flavour profile.

120 will work, but is very dark. It will provide some sweetness and some dark fruit/raisin flavors. Carahell is just the brand name for Weyermann's Caramel 10 (same as crystal 10). There's no point in putting C10 in with C120 as it won't provide much, but added sweetness. I gave some recommendations in my answer to your initial post above.

• Like 1

I'm going to mini-mash mine with some two-row, biscuit, and medium crystal. half ounces of fuggles for five minutes

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 11:03 AM, MRB Josh R said:

Depends on what you like because the possibilities are endless with this refill.

Personally, I would keep it to style as an English nut brown, but I would bring it more malt forward with some Munich or Vienna malt (2-4 oz) and maybe some Crystal 60 (2-4 oz). I'd possibly add a bit of Victory malt (2-4oz) for more "nuttiness". I wouldn't do a hop boil at all. Instead, maybe add 1/2 Fuggle at flameout. I would use S-04, or any other British yeast.

I made this last night and did 2 oz of Munich, Crystal, and Victory with Target hops (didn't have any Fuggle or Williamette at my LHBS).  Smelled amazing and can't wait to see how this turns out.

• Like 4

On 8/2/2016 at 7:57 AM, Bach's Brews said:

made this last night and did 2 oz of Munich, Crystal, and Victory with Target hops (didn't have any Fuggle or Williamette at my LHBS).  Smelled amazing and can't wait to see how this turns out

how did it turn out?

On 6/13/2016 at 8:00 PM, ohsigmachi said:

I'm going to mini-mash mine with some two-row, biscuit, and medium crystal. half ounces of fuggles for five minutes

same question.....

im curious as i brewed a similar batch based on comments from this thread.   i was really happy with the results.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 5:24 PM, cisco said:

Here is a recipe from the coopers website using the nutbrown.

https://store.coopers.com.au/churchill-s-bulldog-craftrotm-pack.html

That link did not work for me but ...http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/125/

They list it as 6.5% only.

With the base can rated @ 5.5 % and each LME pack estimated to add 1% ...... and they put in 2   ??    .hmm.

That adds up to 7.5% to me.

The base Churchill's is a little underwhelming to me, and I was wondering if anyone threw an extra HME into it? I know there are a handful of craft recipes that use 2 HMEs (Burleywine, Gila Monster, etc) and wondering if throwing, say a Diablo IPA or Bewitched Amber along with Churchill's would move it from a nice light brown into scotch or strong ale territory? I don't see any recipes using Churchill's along with another (I could have missed it).

I'm a relative newbie (only 7 batches so far) and not into the mad sciencing of mashing and malts (yet). I see that old Cooper's recipe adds a LME (Pale).

http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/125/

Is adding a 2nd HME too bold? Thanks!