Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
TacTicToe

Is this normal?

Still pretty new to the brewing thing, but loving it. These damned sales here are killing me, cant brew all this product fast enough. 

Anyhoo, Im on my 6th batch of beer now. 2 have been in an LBK, one was a Cider in an LBK and 2 were in my SS Brewmaster Bucket. I just started a new batch to replace what I am currently drinking, for when the time comes. I made a batch of the American Classic Light. Followed the recipe as before. Dissolved a packet of booster as well. I ferment and carbonate in a deep freezer that is controlled with a Johnson controller. Temp is maintained at 70-72 degrees constant. 

This batch is acting a bit different. I checked on the temp and things about 4 hours after putting the LBK into the freezer to ferment, and that thing was already kicking into high krausen mode. Like a full head of foam after only a few hours. 18 hours later, I check on it and the foam is oozing out of the top. I wiped everything up, had to put a rag around the lid to catch the foam. 

The previous batch I made was a 5 gal batch of a Bluemoon clone. It was done in the brew bucket and the gas coming from the blow off tube was incredible. Nothing was able to ooze out because there was so much room left over in that bucket. But now I am seeing a similar issue with the LBK. 

So is this massive foaming normal? Am I just now doing something right? Am I doing something wrong? I just dont want to cause any off flavors, because so far I have been enjoying the hell out of the beer I have been making. Or is it just different from one batch to the next? 

My freezer is a much more controlled environment than I had originally as well, not sure if that influences things that much. 

Any ideas?

Overflows are common, especially when the yeast is very fresh and the temps are warm. I would suggest lowering your temps a bit. I ferment all of my beers at 65-68 (my lagers at 55).

Overflows won't cause off-flavors, but they will cause a mess. Just wipe off what overflowed to prevent mold and your beer should be fine. The overflows only happen within the first few days and only for a short time.

Welcome to the community! :D

I brew nearly everything at 65. Make sure you're measuring wort temp and not air temp.

• Like 3

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 3:00 PM, RickBeer said:

I brew nearly everything at 65

even your coffee?