Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
MnMBeer

Bottle wash day

Hi Folks,

It was bottling day today and started brainstorming again. Hmmm

If only we had a dishwasher with fingers. Hmmm

Imagine a dish rack with two nozzles, one that suds the inside of the bottle and another that rinses with hot water.

The perfect bottle machine, I might make us one. Anyone ever come across a bottle washer?

Best, M

Pray for lost folks

• Like 1

Serendipity...I was just thinking of this yesterday......

Here is my idea......some type of container that oscillates water. 

Instead of holding bottles vertically like a dishwasher it holds them horizontally - then it fills with water. You put in your cleanser. It then starts to whirl and oscillate and lightly shake.  It has handles. When done you unplug, carry outside, open a valve and dump the water. (or hold over the sink. Whatever.)

8 hours ago, MnMBeer said:

Hi Folks,

It was bottling day today and started brainstorming again. Hmmm

If only we had a dishwasher with fingers. Hmmm

Imagine a dish rack with two nozzles, one that suds the inside of the bottle and another that rinses with hot water.

The perfect bottle machine, I might make us one. Anyone ever come across a bottle washer?

Best, M

Pray for lost folks

Here is the "rinse with hot water".

514t3uCWRqL._SL1000_.jpg

• Like 1

I've had this one for probably 30 years.

.20160613_105013.jpg

Coincidentally washing bottles today for a 5 gallon batch of all-grain Helles Bock/Maibock.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

I thot that was a bong or something..........................

Hoppy's back!!! :D

well I haven't had a beer in 3 days ( at dad's home for his bday and fathers day) back at home with my fat tire mini keg ice cold waiting for me all this time!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoppySmile! said:

my fat tire mini keg ice cold waiting for me all this time!

Just like an old friend or a faithful dog! :D 

• Like 1

Yep I built it with CPVC pipe and parts. The 2700 GPH "dirty water" pump is overkill, but only $60-00 at Harbor Freight. The pipe and fittings were about $70-00. I wait till I have about 60-80 bottles to wash. Its a bit of a mission to set up for just 20. Water, Oxiclean etc.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, syncman said:

Yep I built it with CPVC pipe and parts. The 2700 GPH "dirty water" pump is overkill, but only $60-00 at Harbor Freight. The pipe and fittings were about $70-00. I wait till I have about 60-80 bottles to wash. Its a bit of a mission to set up for just 20. Water, Oxiclean etc.

nice job!

17 hours ago, syncman said:

You should build and market these. ;)

• Like 2

Rats, now i am getting more ideas.

Both ideas posted above look like real time savers with positive results.

Like Winnie the Poo always says. Hmmmmm "think think think"

Cheers, M

Yesterday I washed 110 bottles in about 21/2 hours, not much effort. Started outside and it started to rain, so I moved to the kitchen. Not too messy. Wife not too p@##$%d off. Only issue is pump sucks the sink dry every few minutes. Not enough water for the system.

IMG_4510.JPG

• Like 2

I'll be washing bottles today, about 50 of them. It'll be me, the bottles, a brush, and a lot of heartache. 

I wish I had the Syncman3000!

• Like 1

I have 8 or so soaking right ow and about a case on deck witn about 3 cases in storage needing cleaning. Uck

• Like 1

I try to stay on top of the washing/label removing.  Certain bottles are so easy and others have labels that seem to be adhered with Krazy Glue!

Fill up the bathtub with non scented dishsoap and let them sit a few hrs.  Then just a quick dip in the brew cleanser before throwing in the sugar.

6 minutes ago, Bopper09 said:

Fill up the bathtub with non scented dishsoap and let them sit a few hrs.  Then just a quick dip in the brew cleanser before throwing in the sugar.

No need to rinse?  They don't end up a little "soapy?"  

3 hours ago, Bopper09 said:

Not a good idea. Soaps, even the unscented ones, are made of fats and lye. There will be a residue of the fats that can interfere with things like head, head retention and lacing. 

When I am just cleaning the bottles, I just have large buckets of PBW mixed up. Let them sit for about an hour completely submerged, then give them a good rinse and into the sanitizer. I also use the PBW for cleaning all the glasses I use for beer as well. They are always crystal clear and the beer laces really nice on them.

If I am looking to remove labels, then I soak over night in a solution of OxyClean. Even the crazy glued labels come right off. Only labels to be a bit tough are the vinyl labels on the Becks Sapphire. They take a bit more scrubbing but also come clean. Those black bottles are worth it though. :)

Bathtub will have all sorts of residue in it.  Fine for the label removal step, not fine for the bottle washing step.  Unscented dishsoap is fine though.  

I use a bottle brush and just running warm water then sanitize before bottling. It takes a while. I was considering putting the brush on an variable speed electric drill but was worried about damaging the bottles. On the other hand I use the PET bottles so only about 10 per LBK. Not so bad. 

The brush is a baby bottle brush taped to a large copper wire (because the brush handle was too short.).

Can't load pic - either in PNG or JPG  error 200.

OK Got it on another try.

brush 20161005_095128.png

My process. I rinse the bottles at the end of the day and then store them with a small amount of water in them. This keeps anything from getting solid. Then I use the bottle washer RickBeer showed, with really hot water (count to ten, bottle is getting too hot to hold) and I have never had a problem getting them clean. I once even forgot to sanitize after cleaning and had no issues.

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎05 at 4:25 AM, AnthonyC said:

No need to rinse?  They don't end up a little "soapy?"  

I don't notice much, if any difference.  But I do rinse with the brewing sanitizer (that is supposed to react with beer just fine) just before bottling, the tub is just to kill any old trub or crap that may have collected in the garage since last being used.  Maybe I'll try just rinse better and see if my beer turns out better.

1 hour ago, Bopper09 said:

I don't notice much, if any difference.  But I do rinse with the brewing sanitizer (that is supposed to react with beer just fine) just before bottling, the tub is just to kill any old trub or crap that may have collected in the garage since last being used.  Maybe I'll try just rinse better and see if my beer turns out better.

I do use the Mr. Beer sanitizer before bottling...  but I have to admit that I have never used soap to clean a bottle.  I always just use hot water, fill, shake, rinse, and then drain upside down to dry.  Maybe I'm lucky... Maybe I'm onto something.  Who is to say??

I wash as I use.  Unscented soap, clean and rinse with really hot water, then store with caps on loosely.  

37 minutes ago, Shrike said:

I wash as I use.  Unscented soap, clean and rinse with really hot water, then store with caps on loosely.  

If you have plastic PET bottles, you should NOT rinse with really hot water.  It bakes in the flavor.

Also, unless you're about to use a bottle, it should be left to dry before storage.  A bottling tree is a great way to dry bottles.  

Thanks for the advice on the hot water; I did not know that.  And yes, I always let the bottles dry thoroughly before storing them.

22 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

I do use the Mr. Beer sanitizer before bottling...  but I have to admit that I have never used soap to clean a bottle.  I always just use hot water, fill, shake, rinse, and then drain upside down to dry.  Maybe I'm lucky... Maybe I'm onto something.  Who is to say??

Any way of doing it, it's the only part of brewing that sucks an a-hole.  I love the rest of it, I don't even mind cleaning the kegs.  But, I guess as long as the beers are drinkable, it shouldn't matter much how, but good points about the plastic bottles, soaps, etc.  Good to know, thanks guys. 

• Like 1

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎06 at 6:46 AM, Shrike said:

Started doing this as well, keep a 5 gallon pail in the garage not far from the beer fridge, and after pouring dip the bottle into a tub w/ water and a bit of unscented dishsoap to rinse out the trub.