Mr.Beer Community
mylesmcg

apple taste and flat

brewed a cerveza then the american ale. both have the apple taste and are flat (lids are screwed on tight). both fermented 3 weeks but the cerveza has now been conditioning for 6 weeks and ale for 4 weeks.  i used cold water from the fridge but i think i need to keep an eye on the temp better before pitching the yeast.  so i guess from reading on here i just have to let them condition longer?  right now i also have a pilsner conditioning and currently cold crashing my peanut butter choc stout which im bottling tomorrow. i really hope these don't have the same apple taste.

side note bottles are kept in the corner of my kitchen were temps are a steady 74/75F for conditioning.

Plastic PET bottles should firm up in days, at most 2 weeks or so, if at the proper temp (yours are).  If they don't firm up / have no carb, then the likely answer is you missed adding sugar, or you added way too little.  

If you use glass bottles, I recommend doing at least 1 PET bottle to ensure you can tell they are carbing up.

At 4 and 6 weeks they should be fully carbed.  3 days in the fridge to let the carbonation reabsorb into the beer and they should be perfect.

i used the drops for my PET bottles. for the 740ml i used 2 drops as instructions say and the 0.5ltr bottles i used 1 drop

I've had some batches not carb at all, but it was definitely because not enough sugar and one where the cold-crashing got out of hand and iced the beer.  

If you used carb tabs and didn't let the beer sit in cold crashing for a month or let the whole thing freeze solid, it would have carbed. The lids weren't tight enough. It's the only thing that makes sense.

3 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

Is that area in your kitchen prone to sunlight?

No i have them in covered boxes. No light at all

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, J A said:

I've had some batches not carb at all, but it was definitely because not enough sugar and one where the cold-crashing got out of hand and iced the beer.  

If you used carb tabs and didn't let the beer sit in cold crashing for a month or let the whole thing freeze solid, it would have carbed. The lids weren't tight enough. It's the only thing that makes sense.

The only one im cold crashing is my stout that im bottling tomorrow so we'll see how that sample tastes

• Like 1