Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
sabres032

All grain AIPA recipe.

It's been awhile reading and researching but I think I've nailed down my AG AIPA. With the equipment I have at the moment I can comfortably brew a full volume of 4.5 gallons on my stove top to reach a target of 3.0 gallons in the fermenter. 

Whatcha all think, is it OK as is or should I rearrange the grain bill?

Screenshot_20160623-115722.png

• Like 2

Figure I'll mash in at 148-150 for an hour, mash out at 170, vorlauf then batch sparge at 170 and vorlauf again. Hopefully I'll hit a target boil volume between 4.25 to 4.5 gallons. 

• Like 1

Dude! That looks perfect. I'm kind of jealous that it's not on my to-be-brewed list. :D 

Unless you're really confident of your boil-off, I'd shoot a little high for the boil gravity. I think your more likely to get around a gallon of boil-off om 60 minutes. If you don't reduce to your target, you could be stuck with more post-boil volume, but a low OG. You can always top up a little if you're way high on the OG. Again, if you've got your system calibrated and you're confident of your numbers then it's full steam ahead!!;)

1 hour ago, J A said:

Dude! That looks perfect. I'm kind of jealous that it's not on my to-be-brewed list. :D 

Unless you're really confident of your boil-off, I'd shoot a little high for the boil gravity. I think your more likely to get around a gallon of boil-off om 60 minutes. If you don't reduce to your target, you could be stuck with more post-boil volume, but a low OG. You can always top up a little if you're way high on the OG. Again, if you've got your system calibrated and you're confident of your numbers then it's full steam ahead!!;)

I've brewed a few partial mash recipes from Northern Brewer that's had close to 6 pounds of grains, mashed, with late addition LME. I've consistently hit a gallon boil off over 60 minutes. That's why I'm aiming for 4.5 gallons. Thatvand that's what my stove top can handle. If I'm a little over no biggie, I'm fermenting in a five gallon carboy if I'm a little under, oh well.... I'll refine my process. 

• Like 1

As long as you have fermenter volume, it'll be fine. and, yeah, if you're shooting for a 1.068 OG, you could miss by a couple of points under and still have a plenty big beer. ;)

I'm going to do some 3-gallon batches that'll start with 5 gallons and should get down to 3.75 into a 5-gallon carboy or bucket for primary and then fill up a 3-gallon to the tippy top for secondary with no break material at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J A said:

As long as you have fermenter volume, it'll be fine. and, yeah, if you're shooting for a 1.068 OG, you could miss by a couple of points under and still have a plenty big beer. ;)

I'm going to do some 3-gallon batches that'll start with 5 gallons and should get down to 3.75 into a 5-gallon carboy or bucket for primary and then fill up a 3-gallon to the tippy top for secondary with no break material at all.

Right now I think I have a good process. The kits I've brewed have either hit the estimated OG or been .002 over or under. It might change a little with all grain but that's part of the learning process, right? Brew > drink > learn and refine. 

My cousin just started brewing the begining of this year and he will come over to help with my all grain batches. That way we both take notes and he can learn by watching and helping. After a few batches I plan on selling him my current rig, when he is ready, so he can refine his process and I'll upgrade for 5 to 6 gallon batches. 

That means I'll need to construct a bigger mash/lauter tun and purchase a propane burner. 

• Like 1

Dayum!!! I just priced this out about $35.00, including tax at my LHBS website. 

Oh well... Want a decent beer need to pay decent money. 

• Like 1

My wife just nailed the name for this brew. Since it has four malts and four hops she named it 4Play IPA. She even came up with a label for it incorporating a version of Disney's Little Mermaid castle with the phallic symbol in the tower.

Now you know why I married this woman. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, sabres032 said:

She even came up with a label for it incorporating a version of Disney's Little Mermaid castle with the phallic symbol in the tower.

Well, Okay, then...:lol:

1 hour ago, sabres032 said:

Dayum!!! I just priced this out about $35.00, including tax at my LHBS website. 

You'll have a bunch of hops left over for the next batch. And if you save the trub, you'll have that too. That means the next batch will cost less than $25. And if you think about it, you can't buy decent IPA for much less than $10 a six-pack. You'll come out with at least 5 sixers. 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2016 at 9:05 PM, J A said:

You'll have a bunch of hops left over for the next batch. And if you save the trub, you'll have that too. That means the next batch will cost less than $25. And if you think about it, you can't buy decent IPA for much less than $10 a six-pack. You'll come out with at least 5 sixers. 

I assume you are referring to rinsing and reusing the yeast? I haven't ventured into that skill yet. 

I have a few other recipe with the same grain bill but with different hops that are a few dollars cheaper. But I'm planing on brewing this on soon because I think it will taste delicious. 

• Like 1

What is the consensus on hop stand and dry hop?

I've seen a couple of article that basically said Hop stands and dry hops accomplish nearly identical results and I see this recipe has both.

I wonder if you would even notice if the beer was never dry hopped.

I did a hop stand on my last APA because I didn't want to deal with hops in the secondary. I think you'll get more and more subtle aroma from dry-hopping, but I really like the results I got with a 20-30 minute hop stand. Easy to do and since I use a hop bag, no extra stuff in the break/trub.

2 hours ago, ohsigmachi said:

What is the consensus on hop stand and dry hop?

I've seen a couple of article that basically said Hop stands and dry hops accomplish nearly identical results and I see this recipe has both.

I wonder if you would even notice if the beer was never dry hopped.

I'm not doing a hop stand in this recipe. Adding the flameout hops and immediately chilling. 

31 minutes ago, J A said:

I did a hop stand on my last APA because I didn't want to deal with hops in the secondary. I think you'll get more and more subtle aroma from dry-hopping, but I really like the results I got with a 20-30 minute hop stand. Easy to do and since I use a hop bag, no extra stuff in the break/trub.

Last IPA I did had a hop stand, commando. What a mess. Next time I'll use a hop sack. 

• Like 1

I do have another AG AIPA recipe that has a first wort hop and a hop stand but with the kits I have in que it will be awhile before I brew it.