Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
MrWhy

Might we discuss Bottling Buckets?

Hello all!

I have yet to try to bottle from a bottling bucket, but it is something I am considering trying. I almost consider it a rite of passage type thing.

Do any of you do this? What is your technique/process? What would you advice the bottling bucket first timer?

A couple of questions right off the bat 

* Can I use an LBK as a bottling bucket?

* How do you get the beer from the LBK into the BB?

1)  Yes

2) hose on spigot

I use a 2.5 gallon slimline that I bought at Walmart.  They no longer sell it, but it was 1/2 the price of Amazon.   Hose can be bought a LHBS, Lowe's, etc. - most buy food grade.  Bring the spigot to check the fit, it's the same hose that is used for the bottling wand.

Dissolve sugar in a cup of water on the stove, bringing to a boil.  After a minute boiling, remove from heat and put in a bigger pot with ice and water.

Sanitize bottles.

Wipe off pot and pour solution in bottling bucket.

Put in beer with hose, stirring gently around 1/2 way point. 

Gently tip LBK forward as it gets close to uncovering spigot (cold crashing ensures you will get almost every drop.

Turn off spigot, remove hose.

Gently stir, bottle 8, gently stir, bottle 8,...

• Like 2

Instead of using a pot to make simple syrup like Rickbeer, one thing I stumbled upon a few years ago was using a Pyrex glass two-cup measuring cup in the microwave.

I sanitize the cup, put water in, nuke it to a boil, stir in sugar with a sanitized spoon, spray some star san on some cling wrap, cover the measuring cup and put it in the fridge.

Sanitize the bottles, and then add the cooled simple syrup to the (sanitized) bottling LBK.

Two things about my bottling LBK: I bought an extra LBK lid just for bottling and racking that I drilled a hole in the fits the hose off the spigot very tightly, I also use a step down tube inside the LBK to slow the flow rate down, seems to make for much less aeration.

When I rack to a bulk aging vessel (some call it a secondary) I use a modified soda maker (Fizzini) to fill up the "secondary" with CO2 (put it in through the spigot) and then rack the beer into it. that means that the fermented beer comes into contact with the least amount of oxygen as I can manage.

Implies you're using a siphon in the LBK?  I just run a hose off the spigot, and crack the valve about 3/4.  No need for a siphon.

2 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Implies you're using a siphon in the LBK?  I just run a hose off the spigot, and crack the valve about 3/4.  No need for a siphon.

Not sure how you interpreted that, I run the hose directly off the LBK spigot, through a modified LBK lid into another LBK, same process whether bottling or racking to secondary.

I broke our pyrex measuring cup chilling down for yeast hydration.

Microwaved the water chilled in the freezer with a foil cover. rested in ice while adding yeast @ desired temp.

The only secret here is the total sugar ratio to wort volume I suppose if we did the math.

12oz bottles = 24 X 0.75 tsp sugar or 24 X 0.5 tsp  then we get 18 - 12 tsp sugar nominal 15 tsp.

Correction welcome as I am new to batching as well.

Best, M

I just use an online priming sugar calculator (from those brewers up north), it has never steered me wrong.

Ah, the stepdown tube is in the bottling bucket?  Wouldn't that increase flow rate as it narrows?  Or no due to lack of pressure.

No lid drilling is necessary, but it will not hurt.

Www.screwybrewer.Com for a calculator.

9 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Ah, the stepdown tube is in the bottling bucket?  Wouldn't that increase flow rate as it narrows?  Or no due to lack of pressure.

No lid drilling is necessary, but it will not hurt.

Www.screwybrewer.Com for a calculator.

I own a Siberian Husky, dog hair literally floats through the air constantly. For me, a lid with hole is definitely a necessity.

• Like 1