Mr.Beer Community
pearlmikejam

Sanitizing and Dry Hopping

I have two questions about dry hopping.

First, can I sanitize the hop sack when I sanitize the others items while I am brewing and then place the sanitized sack in a ziplock with the remaining hops I am going to use to dry hop?  I have always sanitized when I am ready to dry hop, but that seems inefficient given the two primary times to sanitize are when brewing and when bottling.

Second, if I am dry hopping after two weeks fermentation, how delicate do I need to be when placing the hop sack in the wort?  Will the beer be disturbed if I just drop it in?

On a related note, what is the consensus regarding leaving the brewing hop sacks in the wort for fermentation if one is going to dry hop?  The Mr. Beer recipes say to leave it in, but I have not brewed a recipe that called for dry hopping.

No, you cannot.  When they get wet, the hops swell up.  You want to sanitize the sack, add the hops, and put it in the LBK.  Many simply boil water, remove pot (or cup from microwave) and drop in the sack, then remove it with tongs and lay it on a sanitized plate (again, boiling water put in the plate works).  

Yes, the beer will be disturbed.  Open lid, gently lower into LBK.  Don't drop it from 5 feet :).

Follow the recipe.  If you want it in less time, add it closer to the end.  Do not remove it during fermentation until you are bottling.

• Like 4

I'm assuming that you're going to be dry hopping in the last few days of fermentation.... correct?  If so, that would mean that your hop sacks would be moist and in a zip lock for over 2 weeks.  To me, that sounds like a recipe for contamination.  I've put moist paper towels in zip locks to add moisture to my cigar humidor & after about a week or so there was evidence of mold on the paper towel.  I would just take the less than 10mins that it takes to boil up the hop sacks prior to adding to your wort.

No need to be delicate.  I do a quick look to make sure that there are not contaminants on or near the lid, do a quick wipe with a dry paper towel regardless, quickly open the lid, drop it in, and quickly close.  I've had zero issues using this method. 

Leave the hop sacks in the wort.  Digging them out only perpetuates the possibility of contamination.

**Side Note... If you dry hop commando than you can skip the boiling of the hop sack step thus saving you the time you were hoping to save.  :)

EDIT... HAHA...  I wasn't thinking outside the box like Rick was.  No, don't skydive your hops from 5ft above the LBK. 

Thanks for the responses guys.  Just to clarify, I am creating my own recipe.  I am going to boil some hops for flavor and aroma from 5 to 20 minutes.  Since Mr Beer recipes leave the hop sack in the wort, I was not sure if this was necessary after boiling the hops and/or if dry hopping.  To some extent, it seems unnecessary and serving no purpose.

1 hour ago, pearlmikejam said:

Since Mr Beer recipes leave the hop sack in the wort, I was not sure if this was necessary after boiling the hops and/or if dry hopping.  To some extent, it seems unnecessary and serving no purpose.

Doing partial boil/late addition extracts doesn't leave much contact time with the aroma hops. If you put them at flameout and relatively quickly pour the wort into cold water sitting in the LBK then leaving them allows maximum uptake. I do all-grain full boil and end up leaving the sack with all my hops in the wort through the cool-down process. Even with a wort chiller, 5+ gallons of boiling wort takes 20 minutes to cool to 80 or 90 degrees, depending on weather and tap water temp. Sometimes I do an extended hop stand, cooling the wort to 165 and stopping the chiller to let it sit at that temp for up to 30 minutes before resuming the cooling process. Whatever I do, I don't leave hops in the primary fermenter. Dry-hopping in big batches, especially in a carboy is easier and more effective going commando but for an LBK it leaves too much stuff in the way of bottling. With the hop sack(s) in the LBK, be sure you cold crash with the LBK propped up slightly on the spigot end. That'll ensure that the hop sack will settle into the goo at the back and not slip forward to block the spigot when you try to empty the LBK.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, J A said:

. Dry-hopping in big batches, especially in a carboy is easier and more effective going commando but for an LBK it leaves too much stuff in the way of bottling. With the hop sack(s) in the LBK, be sure you cold crash with the LBK propped up slightly on the spigot end. That'll ensure that the hop sack will settle into the goo at the back and not slip forward to block the spigot when you try to empty the LBK.

Yeah. Although I do find my hop sacks generally float and I get them out with sanitized tongs right before bottling.

Oh, also I use sanitized tong to move the hop sacks from the wort concentrate to the LBK before pouring it into the LBK. Saves much mess you get if they should plop in - or bounce out or even hang over the rim :-/. (See Rick on dropping hop sacks from great heights. Wet sugary sticky ones are worse.)

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

Yeah. Although I do find my hop sacks generally float and I get them out with sanitized tongs right before bottling.

Oh, also I use sanitized tong to move the hop sacks from the wort concentrate to the LBK before pouring it into the LBK. Saves much mess you get if they should plop in - or bounce out or even hang over the rim :-/. (See Rick on dropping hop sacks from great heights. Wet sugary sticky ones are worse.)

Good idea with the wort hops.  That has always been a little tricky.

2 hours ago, pearlmikejam said:

Good idea with the wort hops.  That has always been a little tricky.

Second that...I only did one Mr. Beer batch before I realized that the pouring the hop-sack was a bad idea. :D

• Like 1

Yeah, when I've dry hopped the different recipes, I just toss the hops in commando (ie. no hop-sack), it seems to work fine for me.

• Like 2

I'm picking up on this because I need to dry hop my Thunder Bay IPA. There's already 3 hop bags in the LBK now, so the dry hop will be 4. My plan was to boil a cup of water and put the hop bag in there for sanitation. 

How long to leave it in there? 

Should I add the hop tea to the wort? 

Should I remove the 4 hop bags at bottling time? 

There won't be any "hop tea", because you're putting the BAG in the boiling water, NOT the hops.  Then, remove the bag, open it, put in the hops, and place them gently in the LBK.  

You can remove the hop bags at bottling time, but there is no reason to.  If you cold crash and tilt the LBK when you do so, you'll get all the liquid out.

• Like 4

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 6:19 PM, TonyKZ1 said:

Yeah, when I've dry hopped the different recipes, I just toss the hops in commando (ie. no hop-sack), it seems to work fine for me.

Wow - no spigot clogging or anything?

Yeah, I don't do that anymore. I recently had such a bad problem with the hop parts clogging the bottle filler wand that I now put them in a small muslin bag along with a few glass marbles/beads to give it some weight, whenever I dry hop.

I had to keep stopping, remove the bottle filler, clean it, re-assemble, and sanitize that I finally just quit bottling that recipe. I was close to being done anyhow, so I didn't lose much beer, but it seemed like it took forever to bottle it.