Mr.Beer Community

Kinda freaked out today. I saw a few leaves had some strange white residue on them, I immediately starting googling powdery and downy mildew pics. Then i go to work and think on it for a bit. The white residue seemed to be kind of in a straight line affecting 5-6 leaves. Then I determined, it was bird poop... 🦅 💩. Im gonna stop worrying about it. RDWHAHB 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

71C614B7-D155-407B-91EB-BDC03855D476.jpeg

2425418D-B277-4B85-9460-E898FB696578.jpeg

5412A8C9-44A6-4757-A78A-EA296F4B7692.jpeg

Hops are going on the power grid!

• Like 3

I had to go against my morals and spray for Japanese beetles this morning. Theyre devouring my raspberries and im scared theyll move to my hops next. Theres already evidence of them but they’re havoc must be stopped! I got organic and safe for veggies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

I had to go against my morals and spray for Japanese beetles this morning. Theyre devouring my raspberries and im scared theyll move to my hops next. Theres already evidence of them but they’re havoc must be stopped! I got organic and safe for veggies. 

Yeah, they hit our roses and other flowers and were wreaking havoc. The beetle trap nabbed a ton of em, but I finally got a bottle of Liquid Sevin and had to spray. Here in VB, they're about done. Guess they have a fairly short life cycle.

Lol, when I put out the beetle trap, I got the bait scent on my hands and had to go inside and wash it off, cause they were flocking to me so heavy it was ridiculous. On my shirt, in my hair, not good!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cato said:

Yeah, they hit our roses and other flowers and were wreaking havoc. The beetle trap nabbed a ton of em, but I finally got a bottle of Liquid Sevin and had to spray. Here in VB, they're about done. Guess they have a fairly short life cycle.

Lol, when I put out the beetle trap, I got the bait scent on my hands and had to go inside and wash it off, cause they were flocking to me so heavy it was ridiculous. On my shirt, in my hair, not good!

No way! I wouldve freaked out. Where did you get the trap? Im very interested 

No way! I wouldve freaked out. Where did you get the trap? Im very interested 

Hardware stores, home depot, Lowe's all sell them. If you get one remember to put it away from your garden a bit. Don't want to draw more to your plants. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

141BFA95-9842-409B-ADDA-53CB0A540495.jpeg

8F51F91C-35F5-46C7-B9EB-FAD0CE03DC5F.jpeg

Impressive! When do you harvest?

46 minutes ago, Cato said:

Impressive! When do you harvest?

Probably not for another few weeks. Im guessing

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

Probably not for another few weeks. Im guessing

Then, are they used fresh or do you dry them out? Lol, I obviously know nothing but compressed pellets, but all those fresh hops is exciting! Very cool that they've done so well!

1 hour ago, Cato said:

Then, are they used fresh or do you dry them out? Lol, I obviously know nothing but compressed pellets, but all those fresh hops is exciting! Very cool that they've done so well!

You can dry them or use them the same day as picking as “wet hops”. I was hoping to use both my columbus and centennial in a wet hopped beer but it looks like they won’t be ready at the same time. 

• Like 1

I knew my yard was too shady, but I gave it a try to see just how pitiful the results would be. The better growing one is Centennial the other is Columbus.

20180712_140300.jpg

20180712_140309.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, D Kristof said:

I knew my yard was too shady, but I gave it a try to see just how pitiful the results would be. The better growing one is Centennial the other is Columbus.

20180712_140300.jpg

20180712_140309.jpg

Is that year one?

On Friday, July 27, 2018 at 5:28 PM, Creeps McLane said:

This is one of my first year hop plants. Roots are just adjusting to their new home

B170A321-BE95-4767-923A-8C50998A6115.jpeg

Yes, I just planted those this year. Pics were taken early last week. Seeing yours makes me feel a little better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, D Kristof said:

Yes, I just planted those this year. Pics were taken early last week. Seeing yours makes me feel a little better.

I planted mine and they did absolutely nothing for months. Now theyre starting to grow. I thought they were dead. Guess not

• Like 3

Planted my “this year” hops around May 25th. They didnt do anything until a few weeks ago. The pic from the previous post was my Hartwick plant. This post is to showcase my Prussia plant. Crazy what this thing has done in two maybe three weeksC1419B0C-ADA4-4966-9974-EA8724BAC913.thumb.png.aac38e59eeab592483e78a17d38db03e.png

F1EC3392-0423-4CED-8C85-C38DB7887DC2.jpeg

C489D10F-5621-4208-A271-6F19650A2ED6.jpeg

BA8D72F5-6208-44BB-A7A9-D6177942E4D7.jpeg

• Like 3

A week ago i couldnt smell anything from my hops. Today i went and smelled them and i was blown away. Even over the wet grains in the compost pile for two days i could smell them. And i thought my centennials were so much further behind my columbus plant... that is simply not so. Possibly harvesting this weekend. I checked last night and they’re significantly dryer than even a few days ago

50F77EB3-7DE3-466A-B953-AE28E7B38AB3.jpeg

A148DC22-AC7A-4BEC-B18F-5A9E96BB1E3E.jpeg

• Like 4

80 mph winds coming our way. I think ill be harvesting hops off the lawn tomorrow morning. Ping pong ball size hail too. God damn

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:46 PM, Creeps McLane said:

80 mph winds coming our way. I think ill be harvesting hops off the lawn tomorrow morning. Ping pong ball size hail too. God damn

Saw photos of Lambeau. HOLY CRIPES. You OK, or have you put out the sandbags around the garage?

2 hours ago, D Kristof said:

Saw photos of Lambeau. HOLY CRIPES. You OK, or have you put out the sandbags around the garage?

We got a little water in the basement, not much though. Hops are still standing. Its just been raining with rain behind that. We needed some rain but damn... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

We got a little water in the basement, not much though. Hops are still standing. Its just been raining with rain behind that. We needed some rain but damn... 

Hmm, better check with my sister in Neenah and see how she faired.

• Like 1

Picked about 6 lbs of hops today. Which is about 18 oz when they’re dried. Got two paper bags about 3/4 of the way full. It took all day between everyday life things and brewing. I was still picking during whirlpool. I have about 4 lbs in the dehydrator and my basement now looks like this:

0B955E2B-8547-4C7C-97E5-17EB11340647.jpeg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Picked about 6 lbs of hops today. Which is about 18 oz when they’re dried. Got two paper bags about 3/4 of the way full. It took all day between everyday life things and brewing. I was still picking during whirlpool. I have about 4 lbs in the dehydrator and my basement now looks like this:

0B955E2B-8547-4C7C-97E5-17EB11340647.jpeg

I did look back through this thread but not sure which strain of hops you are harvesting here? Looks like you started out with two strains at one point.

13 minutes ago, Cato said:

I did look back through this thread but not sure which strain of hops you are harvesting here? Looks like you started out with two strains at one point.

Big screen is centennial, the rest is columbus. Prussian and harwick are in their first year. Only the prussian May get harvested this year 

• Like 2

Big screen is centennial, the rest is columbus. Prussian and harwick are in their first year. Only the prussian May get harvested this year 

that is greatness. i'll bet your basement smells good. and here i am opening store bought packs of hops.....SMH.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jdub said:

that is greatness. i'll bet your basement smells good. and here i am opening store bought packs of hops.....SMH.

Dude... last night i was overwhelmed with the smell of hops and then id come inside and smell sweet wort boiling. It was crazy. Crazy good

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:59 AM, Creeps McLane said:

Creeps, I couldn't help but laugh when I heard your uncensored choice of words. As for the Japanese beetles you can eliminate them by treating your yard to control the grubs earlier in the spring. Haven't had the problem in nearly 20 years since I nuked them. Having sacrificial plants is also a good way to control them if you keep those plants far enough away from the hops. A rose bush or two will attract those little ba$tard$ like manure attracts flies. The rose bushes can be sprayed with natural insecticides to wipe them out. 

Great information about the red coloration of the bines. I'll need to keep that in mind next year.

• Thanks 1

I’m about ready to start stringing mine up. Tough to see in the picture but the ones that are on the far side of one picture are close to two feet. 

23CAEC6E-57E5-453C-B02A-D68F42AB3094.jpeg

CECE1C24-34A4-490B-94F9-6C0EE2FAE650.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, efdbrian said:

I’m about ready to start stringing mine up. Tough to see in the picture but the ones that are on the far side of one picture are close to two feet. 

23CAEC6E-57E5-453C-B02A-D68F42AB3094.jpeg

CECE1C24-34A4-490B-94F9-6C0EE2FAE650.jpeg

Holy hell!!! Where do you live again??? Crazy how much taller yours are than mine

I’m near Hershey, PA. Most of them have grown that much in the last two weeks. We’ve had some warm weather and rain. 

• Like 2

How are them golden hops there @Bonsai & Brew?

i got action in my planter

E2CE04C2-4917-4C9F-B67D-4A59BEB239D1.jpeg

All of my hops look just like yours  -- "Golden," Nugget, and a couple unknown varieties are all popping up.  Even so, I ordered Magnum + Mt. Hood rhizomes from Strange Brew just to make sure.

• Like 1

Cut back the shoots twice and then let the stronger ones grow. This is where theyre at after a lot of rain lately 

05386355-54E1-41ED-8988-B05E81B88F25.jpeg

• Like 1