Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Broox

First bottling with a hop sack

So, in less than a week, I will bottle my first batch of beer where I used hops and put the sack in the fermenter. Any tricks? Anything I need to watch out for? I don't try to take the sack out before bottling, right? I really looking for the dumb things you did when you were new, so I do different dumb things.

1 minute ago, Broox said:

So, in less than a week, I will bottle my first batch of beer where I used hops and put the sack in the fermenter. Any tricks? Anything I need to watch out for? I don't try to take the sack out before bottling, right? I really looking for the dumb things you did when you were new, so I do different dumb things.

Hey Broox.  I've left the hop sack in and I've taken it out.  What I find best when bottling from an LBK is to sanitize a pair of tongs and remove the hop sack prior to bottling.  Whenever I have left it in, it somehow always manages to make its way to the spigot and block it.  Good luck!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AnthonyC said:

Hey Broox.  I've left the hop sack in and I've taken it out.  What I find best when bottling from an LBK is to sanitize a pair of tongs and remove the hop sack prior to bottling.  Whenever I have left it in, it somehow always manages to make its way to the spigot and block it.  Good luck!

That is what I wondered about, thanks. Do you try to get all the wort out of it?

2 minutes ago, Broox said:

That is what I wondered about, thanks. Do you try to get all the wort out of it?

No, b/c when you lift out the hop sack a lot of the fine hop particles will fall back into your wort if you do that.  This will cause your beer to be filled with a lot of gunk.  I guess you could if you cold crash for 2 days after removing it.  

• Like 1

So, after three weeks fermenting, I am going to remove the hop sac, then cold crash for two days. Then bottle.

Then condition.

Then drink.

Then repeat as needed.

20 minutes ago, Broox said:

So, after three weeks fermenting, I am going to remove the hop sac, then cold crash for two days. Then bottle.

Then condition.

Then drink.

Then repeat as needed.

Cold crashing is optional.  Unless I added hops directly to the wort, I don't bother.  If you allow the wort to drain into your wort via the hop sack than you may want to cold crash.  If you quickly remove the hop sack with minimum dripping back into the wort, than I wouldn't bother.  If you add hops commando, I would always recommend cold crashing.  I think some brewers (like Rick) always cold crash.  Sorry if thats inaccurate, Rick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broox said:

You should just bottle as normal.  Do not take the sack out before bottling, and I usually prob the back of the LBK up with a few napkins or a pot holder to help with bottling those last few bottles.  Good luck!

Kevin

Yes, I always cold crash.

I never use hop sacks, but I never dry hop either.  

When I transfer to my bottling container (same as if you did bottles), before the spigot gets uncovered I put the LID of the LBK under the back of the LBK to get the last drops.  If you don't cold crash, the trub will start to flow towards the spigot at this point.

Well, not taking the sack out sounds easier, so I will go that route. I do cold crash.

Thanks for all the advice!

46 minutes ago, Broox said:

Well, not taking the sack out sounds easier, so I will go that route. I do cold crash.

Thanks for all the advice!

And do NOT try to get wort out of the hop sack from dry hopping.  Squeeze it and you will have a mess.

• Like 1

I take out the hop sacks and tilt the LBK by hand to get all the beer out.