Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mikeybass

Tasting Concern (Newbie Alert)

Hey guys, totally completely brand new to this beer brewing stuff...but having fun so far.  I'm about 17 days into the fermentation process of my Diablo IPA batch in the LBK.  Just went for a taste test.  The beer that came out was pretty cloudy and there was a good amount of residue in the bottom of my glass.  I could taste the flatness of the beer...it wasn't sweet, which means hopefully I'm on the right track.  But I could also taste what I'm assuming is the yeast?  Almost had a slightly carbonated taste which I'm assuming means its still fermenting.  Sorry for the lack of description on this...just want it to be right.  The cloudy issue...should that be a concern?  Or am I freaking out over nothing?  Thanks for the feedback...sorry for my newbie-ness.  Hoping my first batch is kick ass...cuz I could see this hobby to be very addicting :)

Yes, you got yeast (trub) in your sample.  Had you let the glass sit, it would have settled eventually.  Let it go 21 days, then bottle and store at 70 or warmer for four weeks.

• Like 4

Ok great thank you so much.  And thanks for the great articles you've shared.  Lots of great advice out there.  Cheers!

• Like 1

On July 21, 2016 at 7:30 PM, RickBeer said:

Yes, you got yeast (trub) in your sample.  Had you let the glass sit, it would have settled eventually.  Let it go 21 days, then bottle and store at 70 or warmer for four weeks.

Quick question on the trub at the bottom of my LBK.  I know this is a good sign, as it means I'm making beer.  However, when it comes to the bottling process which I'll be starting in a few days, is there issue if that gets into the bottles?  If so, is there a good method of keeping it out of the bottles?  Been doing some reading, but most of what I've found just explain what the trub is, or that its a good sign.  Just not sure what to do with it now.  Thanks.

Well, disregard I guess.  I just read your post about cold crashing.  Sounds like that's the answer.  Again, thanks for all the info @RickBeer.  

Any other suggestions you feel I should know, I'd be happy to accept. :)

Cold crashing is part of the answer.  Tilting the fermenter (also described in that post), takes care of getting away from the spigot.

It's not a problem if it gets in the bottles - unless a lot gets in.  In fact, the sugar will make more trub with the yeast.  That's why you don't drink homebrew out of the bottle, unless you're a fan of natural regulation of your digestive system (yes, that's what yeast does).  Pour GENTLY into a glass, leaving the last quarter inch in the bottle, or stop pouring when you see it get cloudy.

And a big "Attaboy!" for finding the answer!

• Like 1