Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Creeps McLane

Brewing formulas

Are there any simple formulas for calculating grain absorbsion and boil volumes and possibly target gravities?

Why can't I find Brix to SG? I can only find SG to Brix even though I clearly type Brix to SG. Working on a fancy brew day spread sheet right now. Anyone have a formula?

Because you don't use Google well?   :blink:

Brix -> SG Equation:
SG = (Brix / (258.6-((Brix / 258.2)*227.1))) + 1
(Source: Brew Your Own Magazine) 

SG -> Brix Equation:
Brix = (((182.4601 * SG -775.6821) * SG +1262.7794) * SG -669.5622)

• Like 2

Here's the recipe calculator I use:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/

Everything you need is there. There are a lot of online recipe calculators available for free. Q-brew is one that includes Mr. Beer ingredients if you're using any HMEs.

You do have to get a few brews in to "calibrate" your system, but once you have your boil-off rate figured out you'll know pretty much exactly what pre-boil gravity and wort volume you need to get to a desired OG. FG is going to be determined by yeast strain and attenuation. Every yeast you buy has an average attenuation percentage figure listed for it.

After you mash a few all-grain batches, you'll know your likely conversion efficiency and grain absorption will be and you can tune your calculator to accurately predict what your entire process will do from start to finish.

• Like 2

I'm making a spreadsheet with formulas to help on brew day. I have a bunch of calculators bookmarked but I want their secret formulas. That way I'll just plug them in my spreadsheet and only need one app. And even do it without Internet. 

16 minutes ago, J A said:

Here's the recipe calculator I use:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/

Everything you need is there. There are a lot of online recipe calculators available for free. Q-brew is one that includes Mr. Beer ingredients if you're using any HMEs.

You do have to get a few brews in to "calibrate" your system, but once you have your boil-off rate figured out you'll know pretty much exactly what pre-boil gravity and wort volume you need to get to a desired OG. FG is going to be determined by yeast strain and attenuation. Every yeast you buy has an average attenuation percentage figure listed for it.

After you mash a few all-grain batches, you'll know your likely conversion efficiency and grain absorption will be and you can tune your calculator to accurately predict what your entire process will do from start to finish.

I think I have everything now. I don't have my boil off rate figured out but that will be a little hard since I use a propane burner and my buddy uses an induction burner. I just split the middle and will kinda use that. A couple weeks from now we're going to try to knock out 2 possibly 3 beers in a day. Want my spreadsheet up and cracking by then. 

Heres what I have so far

image.png

• Like 1

The Beersmith App for you phone or pad does all of these same things. 

• Like 2

Yeah...my Brewers Friend has an app, but I just open a browser on my phone and access the info that way when I'm brewing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

The Beersmith App for you phone or pad does all of these same things. 

Yes it does, but that costs me $8. Plus I'm bored. Really proud of myself today. 

• Like 1

Over the last few days i have been working on a spreadsheet for recipe building and then also brew day. I am 98.5% done. I have the following built into my spreadsheet:

gravity points per grain to determine the expected extraction from each malt 

IBUs, think that sounds easy? I had to make a formula for "the boil factor", "the big factor" AAU, g/ml or something thing plug those equations into another equation based on oz and AA% and time. Super tedious

i now can make a recipe and know how much water to mash with and how much to sparge with taking in acct grain absorbsion and my boil off rate. 

I have my boil efficiency and brewhouse effciency figured out based on the grain gravity points taking a modest 72% rate. Then i also have my actual Preboil OG ofcourse to get my mash effciency. Measured in brix and converted over to SG.

trying to determine if i want to put a priming calc in there... I dont think i will

i didnt measure SRM at all. Part because i dont care and part because i dont really care. If my brown is a bit amber i really dont care. We brew mostly pale ales anyway. 

I jacked all the hops from ych. I am up to "H" in the alphabet. Thats the 1.5% I have yet to do.

the purpose was to make something that does all i need it to but also be able to share back and forth with my buddy. We have qbrew recipes on a shared dropbox also. But this just seems cooler. We can pull up recipes on our phones, tablets, laptop and computer with two clicks.

thanks to brewsmith and realbeer.com for the formulas.  I feel like a function god today. Figuring out how to transfer each grains extraction potential in a cell was almost a complete deadend. All praise to the "right" function and also the iferror function. Love you guys. 

• Like 2

IMHO with all the other trouble you went to it seems a shame not to include a SRM scale. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

IMHO with all the other trouble you went to it seems a shame not to include a SRM scale. 

Yeah... I plugged SRM in last night. I have a little tweaking to do but nothing too big. It was quite easy compared to other formulas

Dead end... Priming sugar calculator has me hung up. I have my residual formula worked out but cant get my corn sugar calc to make sense. Ugh, breathe creeps, breathe...

CreepSmith Version 1.1.2 Updates:

Simpilized Layout of Data

Fixed Total Gravity Points calculations to figure in extraction potential instead of grain gravity points constant value

Fixed "Brew House Efficiency" by Correcting Total Gravity Points

Adjusted Mash Volume Formula

Damn these Long Hammer IPAs are good

Fixed Extract Potential Value Formula

Fixed GP Potential Value Formula

Edit Undo Previous Potential Value Formulas

Started over on the God Damn Extract Potential Formulas

Figured out Estimated OG based off 85% Mash Efficiency and 80% Boil Efficiency

Fixed Estimated FG with ={OG --> GP * ((100- Yeast Attenuation)*.001)] -->SG

Fixed ABV Estimate to reflect Estimated OG & FG

Final Results:

Recipe

10Lbs 2-Row

1 oz Amarillo @60

Qbrew

OG- 1.055

FG- 1.014

ABV- 5.4%

SRM- 4

IBU- 34

CreepSmith

OG- 1.054

FG- 1.014

ABV- 5.33%

SRM- 6

IBU- 34

Difference in SRM is I have 2 Row at 3L and Qbrew is at 1.8L.

Wow, Im freaking drained.  At least I can go to bed knowing my formulas are worked out.  Maybe you dont care but this forum is like my Facebook.  I like beer much more than Faces.  Unless were talking about the band Faces with my boy Rod Stewart, which Id still pick beer but Im pretty particial to Rod the Mod

• Like 1

How would i figure the IBUs on a HME? I wrote down all the ibus off of qbrew based on 2 gallons, but then i figured i should use 1 gallon. Then i ended up with 100+ IBUs when i tested a recipe. Not sure how qbrew has it figured out

to get the 100% extract potential of an hme i had to bump its gravity from 1.036 to 1.049 to compensate for my 80% figure. That seems to be working fine for me. Its these damn ibus...

Did some adjusting last night so extracts weren't used in the mash volume calculator and I made a dry Hop section that makes that a little more easy to understand

IMG_0043.PNG

IMG_0044.PNG

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:01 PM, Creeps McLane said:

How would i figure the IBUs on a HME? I wrote down all the ibus off of qbrew based on 2 gallons, but then i figured i should use 1 gallon. Then i ended up with 100+ IBUs when i tested a recipe. Not sure how qbrew has it figured out

to get the 100% extract potential of an hme i had to bump its gravity from 1.036 to 1.049 to compensate for my 80% figure. That seems to be working fine for me. Its these damn ibus...

Can you write a script that enters it in QBREW (or some other existing calculator) and takes the result? Cheating a bit, but they you would be in agreement - lol.

Excel does have some interesting ways to get data from external places, not that I am an expert but I have seen it done.

1 hour ago, Nickfixit said:

Can you write a script that enters it in QBREW (or some other existing calculator) and takes the result? Cheating a bit, but they you would be in agreement - lol.

Excel does have some interesting ways to get data from external places, not that I am an expert but I have seen it done.

I did have to use qbrew to steal the gravity and ibus of MRB HMEs. Beside that, i only use it to compare against my spreadsheet. Thats actually Apples "Numbers" app. Same thing as excel im sure

12 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

I did have to use qbrew to steal the gravity and ibus of MRB HMEs. Beside that, i only use it to compare against my spreadsheet. Thats actually Apples "Numbers" app. Same thing as excel im sure

Maybe. I an talking about things like accessing external databases using SQL or similar.

or this

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Get-external-data-from-a-Web-page-708F2249-9569-4FF9-A8A4-7EE5F1B1CFBA

• Like 1