Mr.Beer Community

Has anyone ever used fresh hops in their beer?  If so, can you help me out?  How does the ratio change as far as amounts?  How do you add them?  Do you simply wash then add?  Are they stronger or more mild?  Just hoping to hear from people who have done this before doing any internet searches.  Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Nah, I picked some up awhile back.  My MIL's landlord has some growing over at his farm and he said to help myself.  I don't think they'll be ready til fall though.

2 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Google...  https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/how-to-harvest-prepare-and-store-homegrown-hops/

Use for aroma due to unknown IBUs. You need more than with pellets.

Did you know that youve told someone ton"google" something 127 times. My advanced search tells me so. Good day Google King. 

image.png

19 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Did you know that youve told someone ton"google" something 127 times. My advanced search tells me so. Good day Google King. 

image.png

Dammit!  I only had time to look at 126 of the results. 

If you are talking 'wet' hops, I have heard it's about a 6:1 ratio. If you dry out the whole hops then the weight is the same 1:1. If you are thinking of doing a wet hopped beer, keep in mind the additional kettle space needed. When I harvest and package, an ounce of dried whole hops fits nicely in a gallon sized bag. Multiply that times 6 in your kettle and factor in the fact that they won't absorb as much water since they are already 75%-80% water. 

With that in mind, I do plan on making my first wet hopped IPA (or maybe a pale ale) soon. I've already started to harvest some of my hops and dry the first round. My next harvest should be about 2 weeks away when I will have both Centennial and Cascade ready at the same time.

Good luck with your new adventure! Cheers!

IMG_3963.JPG

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, efdbrian said:

If you are talking 'wet' hops, I have heard it's about a 6:1 ratio. If you dry out the whole hops then the weight is the same 1:1. If you are thinking of doing a wet hopped beer, keep in mind the additional kettle space needed. When I harvest and package, an ounce of dried whole hops fits nicely in a gallon sized bag. Multiply that times 6 in your kettle and factor in the fact that they won't absorb as much water since they are already 75%-80% water. 

With that in mind, I do plan on making my first wet hopped IPA (or maybe a pale ale) soon. I've already started to harvest some of my hops and dry the first round. My next harvest should be about 2 weeks away when I will have both Centennial and Cascade ready at the same time.

Good luck with your new adventure! Cheers!

IMG_3963.JPG

Fantastic!  Thank you very much, and good luck with your recipe. :)