Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
MTBrewer

Muslin Sack Question

I brewed my first batch using hops in a muslin sack and it wasn't until I was into it that I realized that I didn't know how to use them for sure. I cut off a portion and then added 1.5 oz of hops like I planned. I tied a knot in both ends and trimmed off the excess. It was then I realized that I had packed the sack fairly tight. How tightly packed should I make a sack when using it?  Does it matter?  Does anyone have a picture of what a properly prepared muslin sack looks like that they would be willing to post here? 

The hops need to be able to expand, they swell up when wet. The muslin sack works fine IF you did not stretch it out and then pack it.

Also, if you are dry hopping, you need to SANITIZE the sack first, then add the hops.  If you are adding the hops at flameout, you are good to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MTBrewer said:

I brewed my first batch using hops in a muslin sack and it wasn't until I was into it that I realized that I didn't know how to use them for sure. I cut off a portion and then added 1.5 oz of hops like I planned. I tied a knot in both ends and trimmed off the excess. It was then I realized that I had packed the sack fairly tight. How tightly packed should I make a sack when using it?  Does it matter?  Does anyone have a picture of what a properly prepared muslin sack looks like that they would be willing to post here? 

The hop sack must be very loose so you get enough water exposure/exchange between the hops and the batch. If it's too tight, you will be trapping most of the good stuff inside and you will only get flavor from the outside. Each hop sack should already be sized for your hops.

• Like 1

Thanks foe,the feedback Rickbeer and MRB Josh. Those are the answers I kinda expected but hoped not to hear. Looks like I pretty much did it wrong. Fitting since I was making Horse's Ass Ale. 

At least now I have a good reason to make it again. Thanks fellas. 

• Like 1

you've still made ale just not the ale intended. don't mean it won't be good in it's own right. oh and in the fwiw department I prefer the re-useable nylon hop bags. fine netting vs. the loose weave of the muslin. the muslin lets more hop matter thru (imho) the nylon allows for more enthusiastic squeezing of the hop sack to get all that hoppy goodness.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

you've still made ale just not the ale intended. don't mean it won't be good in it's own right. oh and in the fwiw department I prefer the re-useable nylon hop bags. fine netting vs. the loose weave of the muslin. the muslin lets more hop matter thru (imho) the nylon allows for more enthusiastic squeezing of the hop sack to get all that hoppy goodness.

Dont get me wrong, I intend to drink all of it when it's ready. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

and in the fwiw department I prefer the re-useable nylon hop bags

I buy 1-gallon paint strainers from Home Depot for hops. Just wash them in very hot water to get any residue off of them. They work great and last forever. And the 5-gallon size makes a really great BIAB bag. Tough as nails and perfect size for a 4 or 5 gallon pot doing 2 1/2 or 3 gallon batches. And cheap! ;) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, J A said:

I buy 1-gallon paint strainers from Home Depot for hops. Just wash them in very hot water to get any residue off of them. They work great and last forever. And the 5-gallon size makes a really great BIAB bag. Tough as nails and perfect size for a 4 or 5 gallon pot doing 2 1/2 or 3 gallon batches. And cheap! ;) 

again in the fwiw department I just wash mine in cold water, 6 min regular wash in a Kenmore. I bought my 4 hop bags in '13 and still going strong. My grain bags are not so durable so far every 18 months they start tearing.