Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
AnthonyC

Need Advice ASAP

I have a BW that is about ready to expire that I didn't nprice and one that I already opened.  What would the damage be if I used both in 1 2.5 gallon batch of Bad Moon Weizen?

@RickBeer

4 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

In my opinion, that would make for a very nice Weizenbock.  Did you add both?

No, I chickened out and only added the one.  

Just now, AnthonyC said:

No, I chickened out and only added the one.  

Bad Moon is on my 'next up" short list -- maybe I'll try it then.  How else will we ever use up all these BWs?;)

15 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Bad Moon is on my 'next up" short list -- maybe I'll try it then.  How else will we ever use up all these BWs?;)

15 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

I 50/50 regret it, but I was dreadfully afraid of the legendary TWANG!

image.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

...only thing I changed was that I added 4oz of victory malt, 2 row, and flaked wheat.  

• Like 1

I rarely notice any 'twang' when using lme.  now when I use DME  that's a different story.  for me dme always has notes of strangeness that remind me of playdough.  if you add to this by using cheap yeast odds are good the final beer will taste subpar.

as for expiration dates: think of them as 'best before' dates. hme cans that are near expiration will still be good.. just not as good as fresher.  cans that are relatively recently expired , are intact, and have been stored properly can also be used but with some lesser quality.  really OLD cans or cans that are damaged , bulging or were not stored in temperature controlled environs I would toss.  you don't want ecoli or botulism.

as for adding two cans to a beer.. why not? more malt.. higher abv.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

I rarely notice any 'twang' when using lme.  now when I use DME  that's a different story.  for me dme always has notes of strangeness that remind me of playdough.  if you add to this by using cheap yeast odds are good the final beer will taste subpar.

as for expiration dates: think of them as 'best before' dates. hme cans that are near expiration will still be good.. just not as good as fresher.  cans that are relatively recently expired , are intact, and have been stored properly can also be used but with some lesser quality.  really OLD cans or cans that are damaged , bulging or were not stored in temperature controlled environs I would toss.  you don't want ecoli or botulism.

as for adding two cans to a beer.. why not? more malt.. higher abv.

I did notice that the top of one can was a little expanded.  That one is going back to Target.

7 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

I have a current batch of all-grain Pale Ale that's an "improved" version of a partial mash I made back in April. When I first started drinking that beer it was really good, but had a little flavor that was obviously extract. Not a "twang" by any means, but definitely different from the all-grains that I'd been doing. I immediately vowed to update the recipe and finally brewed it last month. I kegged that beer so it's ready to drink and pretty incredible, though it's still a little fresh and hoppy (really fits an IPA style profile). 

Anyway, last night I compared one of the original beers to the all grain and it was really interesting. You absolutely couldn't tell the difference in the looks of the beers. The flavor of the older beer had improved so that the only difference in flavor was that the PM had just a little more residual sweetness (Amber extract) and the hops had faded a little. Otherwise there's no way you'd have guessed that they were different beers. I never got an HME batch to age out to anywhere near that level of flavor, but this one really turned out perfect after an extra month conditioning and a few weeks in the fridge. 

I'd say there's definitely hope for late-addition extracts/partial mash brews turning into great beers. I'll never bother with seeing if I can get decent results with aging HME batches - just no reason for me to pursue it.;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J A said:

I have a current batch of all-grain Pale Ale that's an "improved" version of a partial mash I made back in April. When I first started drinking that beer it was really good, but had a little flavor that was obviously extract. Not a "twang" by any means, but definitely different from the all-grains that I'd been doing. I immediately vowed to update the recipe and finally brewed it last month. I kegged that beer so it's ready to drink and pretty incredible, though it's still a little fresh and hoppy (really fits an IPA style profile). 

Anyway, last night I compared one of the original beers to the all grain and it was really interesting. You absolutely couldn't tell the difference in the looks of the beers. The flavor of the older beer had improved so that the only difference in flavor was that the PM had just a little more residual sweetness (Amber extract) and the hops had faded a little. Otherwise there's no way you'd have guessed that they were different beers. I never got an HME batch to age out to anywhere near that level of flavor, but this one really turned out perfect after an extra month conditioning and a few weeks in the fridge. 

I'd say there's definitely hope for late-addition extracts/partial mash brews turning into great beers. I'll never bother with seeing if I can get decent results with aging HME batches - just no reason for me to pursue it.;)

JA, I completely agree with you.  Some of the recipes that I made back in January-March sucked, even after 3wks conditioning.  Now, after about 28wks of conditioning, they are much much better.  I think that I'm having more issues with everything tasting almost the same, unless the recipe is severely modified.  Ex. Brew ale ze Bub tastes almost identical to American Burleywine when following the Mr. B recipe to a tee.  I'm sure that this has a lot to do with the base hme.  I really hope that in the future Mr. B will sell lme in larger capacity so that I can skip the hme altogether.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

I really hope that in the future Mr. B will sell lme in larger capacity so that I can skip the hme altogether.

If Mr. Beer doesn't intend to market LME in larger quantities, it's really easy to order from any number of sources on the internet. Ideally you'd buy bulk from a LHBS with decent product turnover and have relatively fresh stuff to work with that's cheaper than internet, but short of that ordering 3 lb cans to suppliment your Mr.Beer HME habit shouldn't be problem.:)

5 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

JA, I completely agree with you.  Some of the recipes that I made back in January-March sucked, even after 3wks conditioning.  Now, after about 28wks of conditioning, they are much much better.  I think that I'm having more issues with everything tasting almost the same, unless the recipe is severely modified.  Ex. Brew ale ze Bub tastes almost identical to American Burleywine when following the Mr. B recipe to a tee.  I'm sure that this has a lot to do with the base home.  I really hope that in the future Mr. B will sell lme in larger capacity so that I can skip the hme altogether.

That's never going to happen.  Mr. Beer's business is selling HME and things that complement them.  Selling you LME so you don't have to buy the HME makes no sense for them.  

1 minute ago, RickBeer said:

That's never going to happen.  Mr. Beer's business is selling HME and things that complement them.  Selling you LME so you don't have to buy the HME makes no sense for them.  

Excellent point, sir!

35 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Patronize your LHBS, don't order LMEs on line.

I would love too Jim, but my guy is on the average 20-25% more.  If I only need 1 or 2 items it makes sense, but if I have a big order it's not worth it.

8 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

I would love too Jim, but my guy is on the average 20-25% more.  If I only need 1 or 2 items it makes sense, but if I have a big order it's not worth it.

That's because they don't have the customer base of a national company,  you get a substantial discount if you order hundreds of a thing rather than say 10. Besides we're talking about ordering a couple cans of LME(1 if it's an LBK), hops, & yeast. Not exactly a bank breaker.   

1 hour ago, Jim Johnson said:

That's because they don't have the customer base of a national company,  you get a substantial discount if you order hundreds of a thing rather than say 10. Besides we're talking about ordering a couple cans of LME(1 if it's an LBK), hops, & yeast. Not exactly a bank breaker.   

True, but when you pair that with a bad attitude and extreme arrogance that is where I have to draw the line.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

True, but when you pair that with a bad attitude and extreme arrogance that is where I have to draw the line.  

That'd make a difference

• Like 2