Mr.Beer Community
JoshR

NEW RECIPE - Lock, Stock, and Barrel Imperial Stout!!!!

i'm currently fermenting an amber ale that'll have some spiced rum oak chips added during secondary fermentation. I did an F.G. reading and maybe a week shy from secondary. but after trying a rum oak aged amber ale I bought, I was in love, tastes better than bourbon aged beer in my opinion

• Like 2

It's fermenting away quite merrily and I have easily the thickest krausen I've had from a Mr Beer kit. Feeling pretty good about having learned the trick of turning the lid back about a quarter turn to let more COout, there's likely a lot being made.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, yawgeh said:

It's fermenting away quite merrily and I have easily the thickest krausen I've had from a Mr Beer kit. Feeling pretty good about having learned the trick of turning the lid back about a quarter turn to let more COout, there's likely a lot being made.

It does not let more CO2 out.  It allows liquid to more easily come,out in an overflow.  CO2 gets out just fine with the lid tightened.

It came out to around 1.029 after three weeks. I tasted a bit of the hydrometer sample. Not sure how much effect the Lagavulin had at that point, but it's definitely an imperial stout! Now I just have to wait 6 to 12 months. Oh well, plenty of shorter conditioning beers to brew in the meantime.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

OK, I'm fridging a 16 oz. Grolsch bottle of Lock, Stock & Barrel for Friday.  Anyone else with me??

I put mine in the fridge last night! :)

• Like 2

I tried my first one of these today after conditioning for five months.  This is a great beer.

• Like 2

I'm going to try an all grain version of this using my uncle's Imperial Stout recipe, Pride of Ringwood hops and French oak medium cube. Debating if I want to soak the oak cube in Woodford Reserve or Elijah Craig 18 year old single cask bourbon. 

After reading through the thread I've seen everyone using oak chips not cubes, so I do have one question. Would one 1oz French medium oak cube, soaked in enough whiskey to cover, bring a light oak flavor? The cubes have more surface area I really don't want the oak to be overpowering. Reading the interwebz I see brewer adding 2-3oz per five gallon batch, that seems like a lot to me. The flavor of the hops says cedar and oak. 

28 minutes ago, sabres032 said:

I'm going to try an all grain version of this using my uncle's Imperial Stout recipe, Pride of Ringwood hops and French oak medium cube. Debating if I want to soak the oak cube in Woodford Reserve or Elijah Craig 18 year old single cask bourbon. 

After reading through the thread I've seen everyone using oak chips not cubes, so I do have one question. Would one 1oz French medium oak cube, soaked in enough whiskey to cover, bring a light oak flavor? The cubes have more surface area I really don't want the oak to be overpowering. Reading the interwebz I see brewer adding 2-3oz per five gallon batch, that seems like a lot to me. The flavor of the hops says cedar and oak. 

Yes, cubes will work fine. That's what I used in mine. I would have preferred cubes for this recipe, but they were more difficult to source than the chips. Also, chips work better in the LBK as the beer would really need to sit on cubes for awhile.

What I did was kegged the beer in a 5 gallon corny keg (I did a 4 gallon batch) with the cubes in the keg. Then I put it at low cellar temps (52-55) for 6 months with just enough Co2 for a protective cap. Then I carbed it 6 months later and bottled it with a counter-pressure bottle filler.

• Like 2

I only wish I had a keg to do that with. I was going to ferment the beer for three weeks, in my big mouth bubbler, then transfer to an ale pail for four or five months with the bourbon and oak cube. I think I can get my hands on a co2 tank to get a protective layer in the pail but that's the best I can do. 

Man, I cannot wait for this one to be ready!!!   I threw in 3 of the Saint Pat's HMEs into this one and am giving it a full year to condition, so it'll be ready in the late fall.  At the time it was my longest conditioning beer on record, but now the 5g AG Barleywine holds that record--Optimal conditioning time is TWO YEARS!!

• Like 2