Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
syncman

LME vs. DME

I have been following this guy, Counterbrew.

http://counterbrew.blogspot.com/

Want to try some of his recipes, but was wondering if 1.75# of Dry malt was equal to 1.75# of Liquid malt, for substitution purposes? LME seems to come in large cans, and storage would be a problem once opened.

Syncman, I honestly don't know the answer to your question but I was browsing the link that you provided in your post and that is some great stuff!  Thank you! 

No, it is not the same.  DME is dried LME, with the water taken out.

Jim just responded...

And 1lb of LME = .8lbs of DME

Storage is not a problem once opened.  Pour a layer of cheap vodka over the surface, or cover and refrigerate and mm use within a few weeks.

• Like 2

Cutting a 5gal recipe down to 2gal gives some awkward sizes. Rounding up to the next 1/2# shouldn't cause too much flavor change should it? Not making gold medal stuff here, just tasty beer for myself.

There is a wealth of information on the forum regarding this.  You'll find that people take 5 gallon recipes and put 2.5 gallons in an LBK all the time.  They cut nothing, brewing a 5 gallon recipe and putting it into two 2.5 gallon LBKs to ferment...

That chart is great thanks. Rick, I am trying not to brew 5 gallons at a time. 2 gal, 16 bottles of the same beer is plenty. Variety is the spice of life. 5 gallons would take too long to consume, before moving on to the next flavor. Right now I have the Helles Bock, American Ale, a French Country Ale and a Cider brewing. All in Mr Beer kegs I picked up on Craigslist.

5 hours ago, syncman said:

Want to try some of his recipes, but was wondering if 1.75# of Dry malt was equal to 1.75# of Liquid malt, for substitution purposes?

You simply have to download a brewing calculator and learn to use it if you intend to adapt or change recipes. It's really easy and there are any number of calculators available for free. Q-Brew is best if you intend to use Mr. Beer products.

2 hours ago, syncman said:

Rick, I am trying not to brew 5 gallons at a time. 2 gal, 16 bottles of the same beer is plenty. Variety is the spice of life. 5 gallons would take too long to consume, before moving on to the next flavor.

Five gallon batches yielding 2 cases of beer is great! You end up drinking one when it's ready and leaving one to age for a few more months. Every beer style benefits from that. And for late-addition extract batches, you don't even have to have a big boil pot (full boil, whether it's all-grain or extract requires at least a 30 quart pot and more heat than the average kitchen stove produces easily).

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:57 AM, syncman said:

That chart is great thanks. Rick, I am trying not to brew 5 gallons at a time. 2 gal, 16 bottles of the same beer is plenty. Variety is the spice of life. 5 gallons would take too long to consume, before moving on to the next flavor. Right now I have the Helles Bock, American Ale, a French Country Ale and a Cider brewing. All in Mr Beer kegs I picked up on Craigslist.

I'm with you - besides, I can't carry 5 gal up and down stairs.

Next, I will brew a Coopers 6 gal Pilsener HME can, and split it 3 ways with different additions per LBK.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:01 AM, RickBeer said:

There is a wealth of information on the forum regarding this.  You'll find that people take 5 gallon recipes and put 2.5 gallons in an LBK all the time.  They cut nothing, brewing a 5 gallon recipe and putting it into two 2.5 gallon LBKs to ferment...

I have not tried 5 gal split but I did split a Coopers 6 gal kit (Dark Ale) into 3 LBKs and have a few more Cooper's HME cans I got on sale to do the same with.

I have cans of the  Draft, Bitter, Lager, IPA, Pilsener and Sparkling Ale to brew up. At 6 gal each that will keep me a while.

8 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

I'm with you - besides, I can't carry 5 gal up and down stairs.

If you're brewing 6 gallons, you are putting it in 3 LBKs, so you are carrying 2 gallons up and down stairs.  That's what I'm doing with 5 gallons...  5 gallon pot, 2.5 gallons of water, add LME and hops, by the time I'm done it's about 2 - 2.25 gallons of wort.  Add it to a gallon of cold water in each LBK, top off, and carry one at a time up and down the stairs.  I use my ramps and a Rubbermaid tub which makes carrying even easier.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

If you're brewing 6 gallons, you are putting it in 3 LBKs, so you are carrying 2 gallons up and down stairs.  That's what I'm doing with 5 gallons...  5 gallon pot, 2.5 gallons of water, add LME and hops, by the time I'm done it's about 2 - 2.25 gallons of wort.  Add it to a gallon of cold water in each LBK, top off, and carry one at a time up and down the stairs.  I use my ramps and a Rubbermaid tub which makes carrying even easier.

Yep. Sound similar, I was thinking to 5 gal fermentation  vessels. 

I have not got to 5 gallon pot yet, I am still using a smaller one which makes it a little more complicated.

But since I plan making each LBK differently probably 5g is not needed.

Last time, I made up the 6gal HME first, added that to LBKs then made the malt/hop additives for each LBK separately and added those in. I have to check my bigger pots in case I want 3 the same.

For the Pilsner, I will make one standard Cooper's recipe then other 2 with different increments of malt and hops, and I will lager ferment the strongest one.

The Pils kit comes with Coopers mix of Ale and Lager yeast so will ferment OK in low 60's and I will split it between the 2 LBKs. I plan to  use 34/70 for the other.

If it works I will end up with beers at ~ 4.2, 5 & 5.5% ABV.

If you're getting a 5 gallon pot for partial-boil extract, you might as well look at this 30 quart stainless turkey fryer. Some of the stuff that comes with it may be superfluous, but it's hard to find a better boil pot for the money. It'll boil smaller amounts just fine and if you step up to full-boil extracts or even occasional BIAB all-grain, this will handle them perfectly. ;)

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/outdoor-gourmet-30-qt-stainless-steel-pot-kit#repChildCatid=27722

I bought a lot of stuff trying to step up a little at a time and have ended up spending much more than I would have just going to bigger equipment as soon as I knew I wanted to do more than just 2 1/2 gallons at a time. I did a number of batches where I did partial mash, split boils, etc and realized it was just way more work and created as many problems as it solved. 

You do have to be aware of the slippery slope, though. I've been looking for a 13 gallon fermenter so I can do 10-gallon double-mash batches and I can keg 5 gallons and bottle the other 5. :D

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:18 AM, THatch said:

Now that's cool, never saw one with grain. To bad they didn't include what % efficiency they based the conversion on. You could tailor it right to you