Mr.Beer Community
scouterbill

Summer's last brew

I thought that I would brew one last light drinking summer beer. I spent some time yesterday tweaking the wild wheat recipe. I was reading some of Hoppy's posts about honey malt and thought I would try it out. Here is the recipe for my last summer brew of 2016: Honey Wheat IPA.

Wild wheat recipe as a base. 2oz. Honey malt and 2.5oz. Carapils steeped at 160f for 30 minutes. 1oz. Citra hops at flame out. WB-06 yeast pitched at 68f. Holding fermentation temp at 62f. Dry hop with 1oz. Mosaic hops at day 14. Bottle on Labor day and enjoy by the end of September and into October.

• Like 3

2 oz of honey malt should give you a notable amount of flavor. I would not use any more than 2 oz in recipe if you haven't used it before though.

A little honey malt goes quite a long ways.

2 hours ago, scouterbill said:

I thought that I would brew one last light drinking summer beer. I spent some time yesterday tweaking the wild wheat recipe. I was reading some of Hoppy's posts about honey malt and thought I would try it out. Here is the recipe for my last summer brew of 2016: Honey Wheat IPA.

Wild wheat recipe as a base. 2oz. Honey malt and 2.5oz. Carapils steeped at 160f for 30 minutes. 1oz. Citra hops at flame out. WB-06 yeast pitched at 68f. Holding fermentation temp at 62f. Dry hop with 1oz. Mosaic hops at day 14. Bottle on Labor day and enjoy by the end of September and into October.

I Like It! I just brewed a third wild honey wheat 2 weeks ago, must be my favorite so far. I like the wheat yeast you're using, I think I used s-33 on all mine, plus threw in a golden lme for a crisp finish. I've had everyone rant and rave about this beer, and I kept mine pretty basic, so adding extras could only enhance it more! lemme  know how it turns out!

• Like 3

@HoppySmile! I loved how the honey malt made my car smell on my way home from the LHBS. The hop additions are my homage to "Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA", I love that beer. I decided to go with 2oz. of Honey malt to balance the hop additions. Only time will tell. I'll let you know how it turns out. 

• Like 1

For my last summer seasonal brew, I put together a little "Saison" using S-33 instead of Belgian yeast. Mostly Pilsner grain with a dose of wheat and a little Crystal for color. I wanted to spice it up and give it some character that the yeast would lack so I brewed in some Grains of Paradise, lemon zest and ground ginger as well as adding a touch of orange/coriander extract I've had infusing for a while into the secondary. Initial taste test was very promising!

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

when does summer end? I've got 50 gallons to brew up b4 then!!!!

Still brewing, but not "seasonal" beer. Around here lawnmower beers are appropriate nearly year round. I just figure I'm done with hefeweizen and saison-style beers, though.

Now it's on to Oktoberfest!! On to stouts and porters!! On to dunkels and dopplebocks!! :)

Actually I might just be getting just one more brew in before about November. We're headed out of town to take our son to college and have a week of vacation while we're in the Northwest. When we get back, if all goes well we expect to be able to finish up selling our house and closing on our new place. If that happens, we start packing almost immediately and we'll be moving in September and still getting settled in October.

I've put 2 fives and 2 smaller batches into fermentation over the last couple of weeks to be working while I'm gone and kegged up 4 more fivers from the month of July. I won't be hurting for beer in the pipeline, but if I can manage one more brew day on the 28th, I'll do up an Marzen-style ale for an Oktoberfest beer and might try to sneak in an extract porter or stout. My new neighbors are going to like me a lot! :D

• Like 3

I've not brewed anything since April. Just too warm, even in the basement. Also, I could never keep changing out ice packs in a cooler, my summer schedule is just too hectic. Looking forward to late September when I can start up again. I actually had to buy some beer this week for a party, because I am selfish and want to keep my home brews just for me and a couple of close friends. I do share my homebrews with my wife and two adult children, but only when they insist! (Yes, call me a selfish, beer-drinking bastard -I still won't share!)

• Like 4

right now I've got four lbk's going, doing the small batches during summer, its easier to maintain for me., a dble Czech pilsner ( similar to the Chewbacca imperial stout), a sparkling ale, wild honey wheat, and the infamous, Cerveza El Hoppyesta Del Muchaco Lima Bean Lager!!! brewed for experimentation only! had to use 5 lbs of lima bean extract

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

right now I've got four lbk's going, doing the small batches during summer, its easier to maintain for me., a dble Czech pilsner ( similar to the Chewbacca imperial stout), a sparkling ale, wild honey wheat, and the infamous, Cerveza El Hoppyesta Del Muchaco Lima Bean Lager!!! brewed for experimentation only! had to use 5 lbs of lima bean extract

Hahaha...  hilarious, Hoppy!

I put an Oktoberfest-style ale recipe together and brewed a 5-gallon batch last Sunday. I kegged up an Oktoberfest lager a few weeks back and that's tasting so good, I decided to do a very similar recipe using ale yeast. 

Just joined up with a new local brewing club and we're doing a club brew to be ready by the end of October. We'll do a Cascade SMASH APA so I'll be brewing that this coming weekend. The week after that, I'll probably try to go right on top of the cake with a bigger IPA while I've got the chance.

• Like 1

Well, I bottled my "Honey Wheat IPA" today. I can't wait for this one to be ready. The gravity sample was amazing. Even my wife had positive comments and she doesn't like beer. Her comment was: "that tastes like a 'Greyhound', all you need is a salted rim and you'll have a 'Salty Dog'". That comes as high praise from her as one of her favorite drinks is a Salty Dog. The Mosaic and Citra hops were a wonderful combination. I'm going to definitely do this one again. Oddly enough, 2oz of honey malt wasn't nearly enough. End of Summer is going to be tasty!

• Like 1

scouterbill, just so you know, I copied your idea.  When you originally posted this, I was all set to brew a batch of Wild Wheat that weekend, and only needed the Saaz hops from my LHBS.  Seeing your post, and being a big fan of Deschutes' Fresh Squeezed IPA myself, I decided to get the Citra and Mosaic instead, along with the grains you mentioned.  I only went with 1 oz. of honey malt, though.  I haven't tasted any samples yet, I'm about a week behind you.  I added the Mosaic today to dry-hop, and it sure smells wonderful!  Anyway, thanks for posting your plan so I could follow suit!

• Like 1

@wvu1989 I hope it turns out how you like. While my gravity sample was very tasty, I still have some work to do to get close to 'Fresh Squeezed IPA'. Even so, I'm really going to like this one!

• Like 2

I really don't know when summer ends. or when I have an empty LBK. halted the 5 gallon brewing for the summer, was going to try an a.g. recipe, but acquired a roommate and now my brew/storage room is being relocated, and I basically decided to stop all together and start it next spring, so in the meantime, i'll just keep filling these little buggers up! just brewed up a diablo partial mash Saturday, then sunday I kinda went bonkers on an dble American lager, with 6 oz. of smoked cherry malt, 2 oz. of liberty hops, and saflager-23. regardless how it turns out, it's going down the hatch!!

• Like 1

I don't know about you guys, but I am totally ready for a break from the hot/humid weather and the opportunity to REALLY start brewing without the help of a cooler.  I'm sitting on SO many recipes and I can NOT wait to get them rolling!  :)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

I don't know about you guys, but I am totally ready for a break from the hot/humid weather and the opportunity to REALLY start brewing without the help of a cooler.  I'm sitting on SO many recipes and I can NOT wait to get them rolling!  :)

I have quite a few as well, but with baby #2 about to come any day now, I have to wait.  I was lucky enough to bottle my Naughty Cream Ale last night without a baby popping out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bach's Brews said:

I have quite a few as well, but with baby #2 about to come any day now, I have to wait.  I was lucky enough to bottle my Naughty Cream Ale last night without a baby popping out.

Nice!!!  Congrats on baby#2!  :) 

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 8:27 AM, HoppySmile! said:

I really don't know when summer ends. or when I have an empty LBK. halted the 5 gallon brewing for the summer, was going to try an a.g. recipe, but acquired a roommate and now my brew/storage room is being relocated, and I basically decided to stop all together and start it next spring, so in the meantime, i'll just keep filling these little buggers up! just brewed up a diablo partial mash Saturday, then sunday I kinda went bonkers on an dble American lager, with 6 oz. of smoked cherry malt, 2 oz. of liberty hops, and saflager-23. regardless how it turns out, it's going down the hatch!!

What did you do for your partial mash of the Diablo? I'm looking at making this again tonight or tomorrow.

On 9/5/2016 at 11:38 PM, scouterbill said:

I hope it turns out how you like. While my gravity sample was very tasty, I still have some work to do to get close to 'Fresh Squeezed IPA'. Even so, I'm really going to like this one!

@scouterbill, I opened my "scouterbill Wild Wheat" over the weekend, and I really like it.  The citrusy hops hit you up front, much like an IPA, but as it warms up, the wheat beer flavors come through a bit more.  A very interesting beer, thanks again for posting your idea!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wvu1989 said:

@scouterbill, I opened my "scouterbill Wild Wheat" over the weekend, and I really like it.  The citrusy hops hit you up front, much like an IPA, but as it warms up, the wheat beer flavors come through a bit more.  A very interesting beer, thanks again for posting your idea!

@wvu1989 I'm glad it turned out well and you like it. "Scouterbill wild wheat", wow I have a named recipe now. :):rolleyes:

• Like 2

ok so I attempted a smoked lager and after the taste I hear a UUUUUUHHHHHHuuuuuuhhhhhh............ 2 weeks go by and I try it again while i'm still drunk kinda, and WOW! what a difference a minute can make!!!, not really, but I was surprised the smooth smoke after taste that I didn't expect, so i'm stinking this is a keeper for my last brew of the summer..................

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

ok so I attempted a smoked lager and after the taste I hear a UUUUUUHHHHHHuuuuuuhhhhhh............ 2 weeks go by and I try it again while i'm still drunk kinda, and WOW! what a difference a minute can make!!!, not really, but I was surprised the smooth smoke after taste that I didn't expect, so i'm stinking this is a keeper for my last brew of the summer..................

Hoppy, would you mind sharing that recipe?  What didnt you like about the initial taste??  Thanks!!

6 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

Hoppy, would you mind sharing that recipe?  What didnt you like about the initial taste??  Thanks!!

surely,,,, i'll post it in the morning after work. when I went to bottle all I could taste ( before sugar added), was the over powering malt sweetness and no real noticeable smoke flavor. and since I used 2 cans of American lager for one LBK, that's probably the reason why. However, after about 2 1/2 weeks bottled the smoke flavor has come out and you have a mild smoke after taste.

• Like 1

Smoking Gun Lager

2-American Lager HME's

2oz. Liberty Hops: 1oz.@ bittering - 60 min. boil

1/2 oz. @ aroma - 20 min. boil

1/2 oz. @ flameout

1-Booster ( optional)

4 oz. Smoked Cherry Malt

1-Saflager-23 yeast

the usual partial mashing grains @ approx. 160 degrees and I did this for about 45 minutes. then the hop process, and so on. I did this as an experiment when many were brewing smoked porters, I thought i'd try something different. I think this stuff gonna be pretty good in about a month and a half.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

Smoking Gun Lager

2-American Lager HME's

2oz. Liberty Hops: 1oz.@ bittering - 60 min. boil

1/2 oz. @ aroma - 20 min. boil

1/2 oz. @ flameout

1-Booster ( optional)

4 oz. Smoked Cherry Malt

1-Saflager-23 yeast

the usual partial mashing grains @ approx. 160 degrees and I did this for about 45 minutes. then the hop process, and so on. I did this as an experiment when many were brewing smoked porters, I thought i'd try something different. I think this stuff gonna be pretty good in about a month and a half.

What size batch is this?

I bought like 10 cans of American lager off a guy on ebay for right close to $100.00 this past spring, so i'm gonna dble up on things to brew to clear sum shelf space

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

I bought like 10 cans of American lager off a guy on ebay for right close to $100.00 this past spring, so i'm gonna dble up on things to brew to clear sum shelf space

First thing you need to clear out is that moochy ass room mate of yours! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

First thing you need to clear out is that moochy ass room mate of yours! 

i'm working on that, he's tryin to win his g/f back, she's not much a greedy soul or I would have bribed her by now! in the meantime i'm movong more stuff out of that room and it's starting to accumulate in and around the dining room.

I brewed Wild Bill's Honey Wheat IPA using about 2.5 oz. Gambrinus honey malt, 2.5 oz. carapils and 0.75 oz. Citra at flame-out.?

• Like 2

I liked this recipe a lot, however, I wanted to get even more hop flavor and aroma. I tried a variation on my original recipe. I added 1 1/2 pounds of wheat DME to 3/4 gallons of water and did a 15 minute boil with 1oz of mosaic hops and added 1oz of Citra hops with 5 minutes remaining. At flameout I stirred in a can of American Lager HME and then cooled the wort down to 120 degrees. I then transferred the wort to the LBK (with 1 gallon cold water) along with the hop sack. Pitched S-33 yeast at 68 degrees. Within 24 hours those yeasties were happily consuming sugars and the aroma coming from the LBK was amazing. I'll dry hop with another 1oz of Citra on day 10. Only time will tell.

Looks like I'll have a homebrew IPA for valentines day.

• Like 2

Well, I just bottled this batch. I got an amazing amount of bittering for a 15 minute boil. The hop aroma is good, however, not as good as I had hoped. Hop flavors are muted at best. Hopefully 3 weeks of conditioning will help, we'll see. Still on track to be my St. Valentines IPA.