Mr.Beer Community
Bittrblue

Lid blew off question

Hey everyone. Thursday I bottled two batches and put together a batch with pureed, canned strawberries. I always put my kegs in a cooler to maintain temperature. Somewhere between then and now, the top blew off my keg. The cooler stayed closed, but it hit hard enough to crack the thermometer I leave on the lid. Now, I did look around the web, and most people were told to just put the lid back on because they heard it happen and knew it was only a few minutes the beer was exposed. I have no idea when this happen, or how long the lid was off. The cooler is clean and sealed, but not sanitized.

So two questions:

Will my keg still be usable? I hope the explosion did not damage the threads on the cap.

Is the beer worth trying to save? Given I have no idea if it was a day and a half or a few hours the cap was off. I did recap it. I need tog go clean all the foam out of the cooler if I should try and save it. Had it been out of a cooler, I would have just tossed it.

Thanks you for your advice.

There is no point in tossing it.  If you already put the lid back on, then the "clean and then sanitize the lid and put it back on" step is moot.  

Why did it blow off?  Because you added too many fermentables and/or let it get too warm.  You mention a cooler but no frozen water bottles.  With the fruit, that thing would have probably hit 80 in a  sealed cooler.  

Threads are fine.  Next time ferment cooler, add fruit after a week, and loosen the lid a partial turn.

• Like 1

Thanks for replying.  I keep the cooler in my basement and a thermometer in it.  It has stayed in the 68 to 70 degree range for the last few batches.  I can't speak for at the moment of explosion though,  but I have no reason to think it was any different. 

As for the fermentables,  maybe that was it.  It was one can of no sugar added strawberries. I had done the same with cherries in a previous batch,  so used the same size can. 

I juat cleaned it up.  It smells  a bit of vinegar.  Although I am not sure if that is normal at this point.  I know after fermentation it should not.  

It was different, trust me.  All that sugar, BOOM!    You should not use a sealed cooler to ferment in without frozen water bottles.

• Like 1

I will make sure I do that next time.  Do I need that the whole few weeks? Or just the first few days? 

At least the first 4.  If you add fruit at the end of a week, then too.  In the three week fermentation, ideally the first two.  65 makes better beer.

• Like 2