Mr.Beer Community

So, I'll be kegging my first 5 gallon batch on Thursday and wanted some feedback so I do this right the first time.  I've been reading charts and grids about forced carbonation, but wanted to see what any of you thought?  It's a 5 gallong Honey Ale batch.  I don't have a kegerator, so my best option is to have the keg sit in a bucket of ice water to bring the temp. down before I insert the CO2.  Let me know your ideas and what you've run into!

6 hours ago, Bach's Brews said:

So, I'll be kegging my first 5 gallon batch on Thursday and wanted some feedback so I do this right the first time.  I've been reading charts and grids about forced carbonation, but wanted to see what any of you thought?  It's a 5 gallong Honey Ale batch.  I don't have a kegerator, so my best option is to have the keg sit in a bucket of ice water to bring the temp. down before I insert the CO2.  Let me know your ideas and what you've run into!

Do you need to have it carbed by a certain date soon? If you ask me, id just go off the kegerator chart.

you can just crank the psi up to 30 and be ready in a few daysif your keg is cold. Just make sure you purge the air out after you fill it with beer and also turn the psi down and purge and then adjust and purge and adjust and purge until you hit single digit psi for serving. First pour or three may be cloudy. 

If you dont have a fridge to hold your keg, i think you did the old cart before the horse. 

11 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Do you need to have it carbed by a certain date soon? If you ask me, id just go off the kegerator chart.

you can just crank the psi up to 30 and be ready in a few daysif your keg is cold. Just make sure you purge the air out after you fill it with beer and also turn the psi down and purge and then adjust and purge and adjust and purge until you hit single digit psi for serving. First pour or three may be cloudy. 

If you dont have a fridge to hold your keg, i think you did the old cart before the horse. 

Yeah, I'm looking at picking up a mini fridge off of Craigslist to use.  I'd like to have it ready for Labor Day weekend, but realize it may be short notice. 

Overall, what you're saying is that I set the psi at 30 once keg is cold for what? 48 hours? Then, purge, turn psi down to serving pressure 10-12 and keep purging as the pressure goes down.

2 hours ago, Bach's Brews said:

Yeah, I'm looking at picking up a mini fridge off of Craigslist to use.  I'd like to have it ready for Labor Day weekend, but realize it may be short notice. 

Overall, what you're saying is that I set the psi at 30 once keg is cold for what? 48 hours? Then, purge, turn psi down to serving pressure 10-12 and keep purging as the pressure goes down.

2 days, then check. Probably be more like 3. Just keep checking. Make sure your lines dont leak either. CO2 isnt cheap.

• Like 1

If you look up quick carbonation methods you will also find places that tell you to rock the keg. This introduces more beer into contact with the pressurized gas this speeding up the process. 

I don't recommend this, but it seems like you are in a pinch. There are two reasons why I try to avoid this. 

1. If you over carb it's more difficult to get the CO2 out of the beer than it is to get it in. 

2. Your beer isn't going to have proper time to condition. While it might be drinkable you are missing out on the conditioning time that will improve the beer. 

Just my 2¢

• Like 3

2 hours ago, efdbrian said:

If you look up quick carbonation methods you will also find places that tell you to rock the keg. This introduces more beer into contact with the pressurized gas this speeding up the process. 

I don't recommend this, but it seems like you are in a pinch. There are two reasons why I try to avoid this. 

1. If you over carb it's more difficult to get the CO2 out of the beer than it is to get it in. 

2. Your beer isn't going to have proper time to condition. While it might be drinkable you are missing out on the conditioning time that will improve the beer. 

Just my 2¢

I've read about the rocking method and definitely don't plan on ever doing that.  I think I'll just do the 2-3 days and check it each day to see where it's at and where I want the carbonation to be at.  PLUS it may not even taste ready by Labor Day weekend, which is why I have put 2 cases of bottled homebrew in the fridge! :-)

• Like 2

I kegged my first beer last night! Had to do it a day early due to my wife's due date coming up.  I didn't want to get stuck having to decide between seeing my new son being born or kegging my first beer! HA! All went well, currently sitting at 30 psi. I'll check it tonight to see how things are looking! Can't wait! So much faster and easier than bottling!!!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bach's Brews said:

I kegged my first beer last night! Had to do it a day early due to my wife's due date coming up.  I didn't want to get stuck having to decide between seeing my new son being born or kegging my first beer! HA! All went well, currently sitting at 30 psi. I'll check it tonight to see how things are looking! Can't wait! So much faster and easier than bottling!!!

Woosie!  Easy choice, beer...

• Like 1