Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Old Snipe

Brew 2 - Oktoberfest

Since my first batch was not a total disaster, I decided to brew a second batch. I used a can of Oktoberfest HME, one Smooth LME, and Safale 05 yeast. Placed it in the fermenter yesterday and marked the calendar for September 24 to bottle. That should have it ready for Halloween. I know I will miss Oktoberfest with my Oktoberfest, but it should make a nice late fall beer.

• Like 4

Let it stay in the LBK for a full three weeks. From yesterday to Sept 24 is not 21 days. Don't rush it! Then let it condition at room temperature for a month (or more). Your beer will be better. The S-05 yeast with the Oktoberfest is a good choice. Try and keep it near the mid 60's deg F while fermenting. 

• Like 3

Like Brian said go the whole 3-4. An Oktoberfest(Märzen bier) ages well, stash a few back for turkey day and Christmas  So you can see first hand how aging changes a brew.

• Like 2

Well waiting on this batch was not a problem. One week into fermentation my assistant bottler, also known as my bride, came down with a bad cold that she was kind enough to share. This batch spent 5 weeks in the lbk. We bottled last Saturday. I took a shot size sample and must admit it had a very pleasant flavor, just flat. So it will bottle condition for 3 more weeks from this coming Saturday before getting a couple of days in the fridge prior to sampling. I look forward to trying the finished product. May have to rename it Thanksgivingfest. Another positive note. I finally went by my lhbs to check out their setup. They were very helpful, even offering to consult on recipes once I start doctoring the refills. I was very pleased with the experience, especially based on posts indicating a snobbish attitude that is prevalent against Mr. Beer users in the larger home brew community. Cudos to Bull City Homebrew.

5 weeks was pushing it for off flavors, glad it tasted good.

3 weeks bottle conditioning is not enough, on that brew I would go 6 at least.

4 hours ago, RickBeer said:

5 weeks was pushing it for off flavors, glad it tasted good.

3 weeks bottle conditioning is not enough, on that brew I would go 6 at least.

I tasted my Malted up Cooper's Pilsener (AMber + dark DME -->Marzen) after a couple weeks and it is very disjointed. There is the bitterness - then the taste from malt, but they are no way cooperating. A couple more months maybe.

RickBeer was right, not that I doubted. I got impatient and tried one after 4 weeks conditioning. A little sweet, but not bad. Hopefully the sweetness will subside with time.

• Like 1

As rick said time helps every brew. I keg now and i ussually let it sit in keg for a week before sampling. At 2 weeks in keg it hits its stride. Yes all while under pressure.