Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JoshR

NEW RECIPE - Zombie Fest Lager!!

We are releasing a new Partial Mash Oktoberfest Lager just in time for the fall season. This full-bodied, malty Oktoberfest is probably the closest we have to a true german-style Marzen Oktoberfest Lager. With bready malts and just enough hop balance, I think you guys that go for the maltier beers are going to really enjoy this one. It is on sale for only $30!

Cheers!

http://www.mrbeer.com/hot-deals/zombie-fest-lager

• Like 5

Killer sale, bro!  What am I going to do with my spare $2.14?  Haha...  just kidding. ;)  Looks like a pretty nice recipe.  

This makes me want to place an order for all of the add-ons, since I have a can of Oktoberfest waiting in the wings!

• Like 1

I saw the thread title and got excited that this would be a Zombie Dust clone recipe. Bummed out that it's not! :unsure: :(

• Like 1

On September 16, 2016 at 8:13 PM, scouterbill said:

I saw the thread title and got excited that this would be a Zombie Dust clone recipe. Bummed out that it's not! :unsure: :(

3.3 lbs golden light LME or

2.76 lbs or golden light DME

2 oz citra @ 60

1 oz @ 20

1 oz @ 10

dry hop with FF 7cs

• Like 2

As I patiently wait for the grains and such to arrive tomorrow, I was pondering my first lager attempt. Is there any need to execute a D-rest for Mr. Beer lagers? I realize that the instructions don't call for it (knowing they are written to optimize the K.I.S.S. mentality), but is there any benefit to doing/not doing it? It might be over analysis on my part, but there is no sense in not asking. 

3 hours ago, Big Sarge said:

As I patiently wait for the grains and such to arrive tomorrow, I was pondering my first lager attempt. Is there any need to execute a D-rest for Mr. Beer lagers? I realize that the instructions don't call for it (knowing they are written to optimize the K.I.S.S. mentality), but is there any benefit to doing/not doing it? It might be over analysis on my part, but there is no sense in not asking. 

That's a good question Sarge.  A related question would be has anyone ever actually had the diacetyl butter flavor in their lagers because they did not allow for a D/R.  I've only done the D/R on 5 of 14 lagers that I've brewed and have not been able to detect diacetyl in any of them, with or without the rest.  On the other hand, it is pretty easy to go ahead and move the keg to ambient temp., say on Day 16 or so, and let the yeast finish up their work, just as a precaution if nothing else.  Good luck with your lager!    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

That's a good question Sarge.  A related question would be has anyone ever actually had the diacetyl butter flavor in their lagers because they did not allow for a D/R.  I've only done the D/R on 5 of 14 lagers that I've brewed and have not been able to detect diacetyl in any of them, with or without the rest.  On the other hand, it is pretty easy to go ahead and move the keg to ambient temp., say on Day 16 or so, and let the yeast finish up their work, just as a precaution if nothing else.  Good luck with your lager!    

Thanks for the input B&B. I'm not sure if the Oktoberfect is light enough, or if the 2 gallon extract batches are big enough to have it make a difference. It may not be necessary, but there's no harm in doing it either. I'm mostly just thinking out loud. I know that the 3-4-3 rule isn't in the instructions for marketing reasons and just wondered if this fell into that category. Either way, I'm excited to try my hand at my first lager!

• Like 1