Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BrianBrew

Hefeweizen

I want to brew a hefeweizen and came across two recipes. The old Who's your Hefe and the new Whispering Wheat Hefeweizen. I was wondering if anyone has tried these. I want a hefeweizen where you can taste the banana and clove similar to The Hef  by Frankenmuth Brewery. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

41 minutes ago, BrianBrew said:

I want to brew a hefeweizen and came across two recipes. The old Who's your Hefe and the new Whispering Wheat Hefeweizen. I was wondering if anyone has tried these. I want a hefeweizen where you can taste the banana and clove similar to The Hef  by Frankenmuth Brewery. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

I made the Whispering Wheat and liked it a lot.  One thing that keep forgetting is that I used washed yeast from my Northern Brewer's Abbey Dubbel in it.  I'm not 100% sure how much that effected the final flavor.  Not sure whether or not I tasted banana/clove flavor.  Hope that helps a little bit.

10 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

I made the Whispering Wheat and liked it a lot.  One thing that keep forgetting is that I used washed yeast from my Northern Brewer's Abbey Dubbel in it.  I'm not 100% sure how much that effected the final flavor.  Not sure whether or not I tasted banana/clove flavor.  Hope that helps a little bit.

Thanks Anthony. The WB 06 yeast that the Whispering Wheat calls for is supposed to give it its banana and clove flavor. Some say that is is also tart which many dislike about this yeast. I think the higher end of the fermentation range gives off more banana and vice versa. Using the yeast you did probably changed the final product some. Not sure if the Mr. Beer Wheat yeast used in the old Who's your Hefe produces the banana and clove flavor I am looking for. Maybe Josh could help with this one.

• Like 1

Both the Mr. Beer wheat yeast and the WB-06 will display banana esters, especially at higher temps (upper 70s). But if you REALLY want a strong banana flavor, try using Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Wheat, if you can get it. Hopefully, we will bring back liquid yeasts in the near future.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Both the Mr. Beer wheat yeast and the WB-06 will display banana esters, especially at higher temps (upper 70s). But if you REALLY want a strong banana flavor, try using Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Wheat, if you can get it. Hopefully, we will bring back liquid yeasts in the near future.

Thanks Josh. In your humble opinion which recipe do you think would be more of what I am looking for. The old Who's your Hefe of the new Whispering Wheat. I'm not liking what I read about the tartness of the WB 06 yeast.

They are both Hefeweizens, but the Whispering Wheat is a partial mash recipe and has grains that will help minimize any tartness from the yeast.

• Like 1

The other thing that I understand accentuates those flavors is to get the yeast in growth phase longer. So under pitching e.g. use only part of the packet - say 2 g / LBK.  And also stressing it - not oxygenating the water.

I think though that the banana and clove exhibit at different ends of the temperature range so not sure how easy it is to get both.

MrB Josh - some ideas here please?

2 different yeasts mixed?

Or maybe there is one product that actually mixes organisms in it to get both flavors.

To get both banana and clove, just ferment in the center of the temp range.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

To get both banana and clove, just ferment in the center of the temp range.

So for the Mr. Beer yeast would 70 be a good temp to try and achieve this?

From other yeast data, it seems the temperature is critical to getting the proper flavors.

I am not sure which one Mr B Wheat yeast most closely resembles.

I don't think you will go far wrong around 70 though.

WB-06 data sheet :

12-25°C (53.6-77°F) ideally 18-24°C (64.4-75.2°F)

for clove flavors : below 22°C (71.6°F)

for banana flavor: above 23°C (73.4°F)

Wyeast 3068 data sheet:

The classic and most popular German wheat beer strain used worldwide. This yeast strain produces a beautiful and delicate balance of banana esters and clove phenolics. The balance can be manipulated towards ester production through increasing the fermentation temperature, increasing the wort density, and decreasing the pitch rate. Over pitching can result in a near complete loss of banana character. Decreasing the ester level will allow a higher clove character to be perceived. Sulfur is commonly produced, but will dissipate with conditioning. This strain is very powdery and will remain in suspension for an extended amount of time following attenuation. This is true top cropping yeast and requires fermenter headspace of 33%.

Origin:
Flocculation: low
Attenuation: 73-77%
Temperature Range: 64-75° F (18-24° C)

Others

WLP300  says banana and clove. Reviews - mostly light banana 68-72 deg.

WLP 351 mostly clove  66-70 deg

• Like 1