Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bonsai & Brew

Sad Day for Mr. Beer?

It took me over a year, but I finally took the plunge and brewed an all-grain/partial-extract beer.  Using the mash-in-a-sack method (sorry, I've never really cared for the BIAB acronym ;)), I mashed 3.5 lbs. of grain and did a full 60 min. boil.  Continuing on with the FWIW theme of the day, here is my attempt at a 2.25 gallon MG (mostly grain) Vienna Lager:

Weyermann Vienna, 1.5 lbs.

Weyermann Pilsner, 1.0 lbs.

Weyermann Light Munich, 0.5 lbs.

Weyermann CaraMunich Type II, 4 oz.

Weyermann Carafa Special Type II, 3 oz.

Irish Moss, one-eighth tsp., 20 min.

BrewMax Pale LME X 2

Perle and Hallertau Mittelfruh, 0.5 oz. ea., 40 min.

Saaz (US) and Tettnang, 0.25 oz. ea., 5 min.

Saflager W34/70 yeast

QBrew says:

SRM: 17

IBU: 31

ABV: 4.6%

OG: 1.044!:)

Recipe Notes:  3 hours of brewing and I am still chilling wort! ?

• Like 2

most of us grow out of mr beer kits eventually and take the next steps.  the nice thing is that mr beer will always be there for you whenever you want a fast, easy, simple to throw together beer kit.  mr b welcomes you to brewing.. coaches you.. teaches you the basics... and when it is time for you to leave the 'nest', mr b waves proudly .. not 'goodbye' but 'until we meet again'. sniff.....  and proudly utters to himself 'our baby's a brewer now!'.

grain brewing is  a lot of extra work and chemistry.... the nice thing though is that you can dry the spent grain in the oven and grind them. use the ground grains to supplement flour for bread. it will add fiber, nutrients, flavor etc.  my missus uses 2 parts reg flour and 1 part spent grain flour I think.

• Like 4

Definitely not a sad day for us! When we see our customers taking their brewing to the next level, that only fills our hearts with pride knowing we got you started! :D Keep in mind, most of the Collaboration Recipes we have done in the past were with breweries whose Brewmasters got started with Mr. Beer. If we can help spark future generations of brewers, then we have done our job. Not only that, but the word of mouth really helps as well. ;)

So don't worry, B&B, we won't get jealous! As long as you promise to tell your friends about us! lol

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, zorak1066 said:

most of us grow out of mr beer kits eventually and take the next steps.  the nice thing is that mr beer will always be there for you whenever you want a fast, easy, simple to throw together beer kit.  mr b welcomes you to brewing.. coaches you.. teaches you the basics... and when it is time for you to leave the 'nest', mr b waves proudly .. not 'goodbye' but 'until we meet again'. sniff.....  and proudly utters to himself 'our baby's a brewer now!'.

Thanks Zorak, but it's still baby-steps for this brewer.  I've got another year's supply of MRB HMEs on hand and I still get pretty dang excited every time Mr. Beer announces a new partial-mash recipe.  Grains did change everything, but looking back at the past year of brewing, I'm still looking forward to another all-extract Angry Bovine Milk Stout!?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Definitely not a sad day for us! When we see our customers taking their brewing to the next level, that only fills our hearts with pride knowing we got you started! :D Keep in mind, most of the Collaboration Recipes we have done in the past were with breweries whose Brewmasters got started with Mr. Beer. If we can help spark future generations of brewers, then we have done our job. Not only that, but the word of mouth really helps as well. ;)

So don't worry, B&B, we won't get jealous! As long as you promise to tell your friends about us! lol

Nice!:)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Caramel Red Apple Porter?;)?

While apple seems to be popular in some beers for some people, I personally can't get around the fact that tastes similar to the acetaldehyde "green" flavor of young or off-flavored beer. I've tried to enjoy some of the apple/cider hybrids, but I just can't. :wacko:

Also, the only 2 beers I didn't like at our weekly employee tastings so far (I like beer) have both been "salted caramel" beers. So for the time being, any beer with the words "apple" or "caramel" simply don't appeal to me. Put those words together and it's a resounding "HELL NO". But, hey, a lot of people will disagree. And who knows, I might even like yours (I'll still try it - I'm not a monster!). ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MRB Josh R said:

While apple seems to be popular in some beers for some people, I personally can't get around the fact that tastes similar to the acetaldehyde "green" flavor of young or off-flavored beer. I've tried to enjoy some of the apple/cider hybrids, but I just can't. :wacko:

Also, the only 2 beers I didn't like at our weekly employee tastings so far (I like beer) have both been "salted caramel" beers. So for the time being, any beer with the words "apple" or "caramel" simply don't appeal to me. Put those words together and it's a resounding "HELL NO". But, hey, a lot of people will disagree. And who knows, I might even like yours. ;)

No, you are correct -- this recipe would taste like C-R-A-P!  This is my own little inside joke that I've managed to slip by a couple of times on the Forum. :)  But seriously, I would rather brew a real beer any day over some strange cider concoction!  Leave the apples for pie, I say! ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

No, you are correct -- this recipe would taste like C-R-A-P!  This is my own little inside joke that I've managed to slip by a couple of times on the Forum. :)  But seriously, I would rather brew a real beer any day over some strange cider concoction!  Leave the apples for pie, I say! ?

HAHAHAHA!!! I just got that. :lol: lol. It's obviously late for me, but was stopping by to catch up since I had been busy most of the day.

I'm working at the annual Great Tucson Beer Fest tomorrow with some of the other Mr. Beer crew so I've been busy brewing/kegging the beer and setting up for it so I'm a bit tired and missed the joke...lol. In fact, I think I'm going to call it a night.

Until Monday... Cheers!B)

One more thing, we tapped the Zombie Fest Lager (I made 10 gallons for the event), and it is AMAZING! Probably one of my favorite MRB recipes yet. I recommend a 3 day diacetyl rest at the end of fermentation, though, with that German lager yeast. If you do that, it comes out pleasantly bready and malty with a clean finish and very German character. :)

• Like 3

One more thing, we tapped the Zombie Fest Lager (I made 10 gallons for the event), and it is AMAZING! Probably one of my favorite MRB recipes yet. I recommend a 3 day diacetyl rest at the end of fermentation, though, with that German lager yeast. If you do that, it comes out pleasantly bready and malty with a clean finish , and very German character. :)

Will brew!

• Like 1

Just now, Bonsai & Brew said:

Will brew!

Be sure you ferment in the low to mid 50s.

Be sure you ferment in the low to mid 50s.

I'll have to wait a couple weeks to get it started, now that the Vienna Lager is pitched and at a nice 54 F as we speak.  I only have one Coleman cooler for lagers, but now you've got me thinking...;)

• Like 1

Even after making the switch, sometimes it's nice to whip up a quick, simple, and easy to clean Mr. Beer recipe.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

Even after making the switch, sometimes it's nice to whip up a quick, simple, and easy to clean Mr. Beer recipe.  

I'm already trying to come up with a partial mash Imperial Bavarian Wheat recipe to make a dent in my overstock of Target BWs! ;)

2 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

I'm already trying to come up with a partial mash Imperial Bavarian Wheat recipe to make a dent in my overstock of Target BWs! ;)

I hear ya.  That's why I'm going to do a Whispering Pumpkin Wheat.  That will hardly put a dent in my stock. :)

Just now, AnthonyC said:

I hear ya.  That's why I'm going to do a Whispering Pumpkin Wheat.  That will hardly put a dent in my stock. :)

Pumpkin Wheat sounds like a really nice seasonal.  As far as BWs, I may have to return to my Wheat of the Week thread.  Any other ideas?    

Believe it or not, I'm almost "wheated" out.  I already have Whispering Wheat, Pumpkin, Belgian Blanc, Dunkels, and I dont even know what else.  Haha.  

• Like 1

I've kind of moved on, but then again not. Some beers are straight extract, some extract with DME and hops, some extract and steeping grains, and a couple all grain.  Each has it's place, given how much time I have. MB will always be there for the quick brew with very decent results. And yes, tell your friends. Recently ran into an old friend who just started with MB. I spoke to him about a couple of years ago, and he remembered our conversation about brewing, which he now has started.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

My little messy corner in the kitchen last night along with a Black Moon Weizen for encouragement.?

image.jpeg

BB, how is that Black Moon Weizen?  I made it awhile back.  Good stuff?  When I tasted it at bottling I found it to be kinda meh.  Hoping it gets more flavorful as it ages.  I'd like to have it for Thanksgiving. 

3 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

BB, how is that Black Moon Weizen?  I made it awhile back.  Good stuff?  When I tasted it at bottling I found it to be kinda meh.  Hoping it gets more flavorful as it ages.  I'd like to have it for Thanksgiving. 

I'm just getting to really liking mine at 9 weeks in the bottle, AC. I was a little turned off by the early taste tests, but the flavors have melded together nicely. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

I really like it.  The only thing I changed from the original recipe was fermenting with Danstar Classic Wheat yeast, rather than the WB-06.  Who knows if that made any difference, but my batch has some really interesting wheat flavors that are quite nice.?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Big Sarge said:

I'm just getting to really liking mine at 9 weeks in the bottle, AC. I was a little turned off by the early taste tests, but the flavors have melded together nicely. 

Good to know, Sarge.  As you may have heard, I like when the flavors punch you in the face.  When I tasted mine it was kind of like a light beer.  Worse comes to worse I'll put it out for Thanksgiving for everyone else.

4 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

I really like it.  The only thing I changed from the original recipe was fermenting with Danstar Classic Wheat yeast, rather than the WB-06.  Who knows if that made any difference, but my batch has some really interesting wheat flavors that are quite nice.?

Well that's 2 respectable votes for it (you & Sarge).  Looking forward to the finished product.

I call it a great day for Mr. Beer!!! I just bottled my diablo ipa, with added waimea/azzaca and citra hop that the bottling taste was amazingly eggsalant!!! in a few days I bottle my creative smoked cherry malt lager, wondering how that'll turn out in a month or so??? next weekend I bottle the 4th batch of the witches flight, and second batch of helles bock. then its back to the Baltic porter 5 gallon brewing to be aged in the bourbon barrel, and barely a dent in the shelf full of other extracts waiting their fate!!!!

• Like 1

In the FWIW department. I've been a grain brewer for something like 3.5 years now. That don't mean I no longer brew HMEs or do extract  brewing.. I use which ever method I have time for this week..

• Like 4

I wonder if I cud mix cocaine with beer and throw in a few pain killers with sum K2, maybe Mr. Beer cud match that recipe and make everyone happy again!!!!???

7 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

I wonder if I cud mix cocaine with beer and throw in a few pain killers with sum K2, maybe Mr. Beer cud match that recipe and make everyone happy again!!!!???

two words: Janice Joplin

• Like 1

the guy who runs my local hbs is a cool dude.  I mentioned how I got my start with mr b and he didn't make a face or act all snooty.  he did however look with horror at my description of one of my dr frankensteins brews..  where I used water from boiling cabbage as my mash water in a cream ale...  that I added cheerios cereal to as an adjunct. lol..   came out like a crappy Pilsen poured over cereal... with an odd note added from the cabbage water. lol...    

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

used water from boiling cabbage

I always wonder what boiled Brussel sprout water would go in a lager??? thanks for answering that!!!

I even told my missus.. do not use baking soda in the water when boiling the cabbage.. no salt... just boil it.  so my chemistry was fine for the mash.  cheerios is just basically oats so that wasn't a problem.  I think I used too much cheerios and crossed the line from adjunct status...

no matter how long I aged it, I could not get rid of that Pilsen on top of cheerios  taste.  I also noted a lot of flatulence from the cabbage water..