Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
AnthonyC

Juniper Berry IPA

It's that time of year again, when I am preparing to make my juniper berry ipa.  Last year's came out good, but not great:

1 Northwestern Pale Ale

.5oz of Chinook 60min

.5oz of Chinook 20min

1oz of Simcoe 10min

.5 cup of fresh/crushed juniper berries

This year I want to get that punch in the face pine/juniper berry flavor.  In a world of Internet fiction it is hard to separate the facts from the b.s.  I have read that brewers will actually make a "tea" using 1.5g of water *boiled* and broken juniper branches to flavor the beer.  Does this sound doable or just a lot of Internet hokey?  

Also-  looking to add grains.  Any suggestions would be phenomenal! :)

Bummer, Sam Adams "retired" the Norse Legend page, along with many other brews including their Black Lager.:(

But, I did pick a supply of fresh juniper (Eastern Red Cedar) berries yesterday while taking a break from some pheasant hunting.:)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Bummer, Sam Adams "retired" the Norse Legend page, along with many other brews including their Black Lager.:(

But, I did pick a supply of fresh juniper (Eastern Red Cedar) berries yesterday while taking a break from some pheasant hunting.:)

BB, would you happen to know the lovibond on aromatic and special b?  I want this one to stay on the pale side.  Thanks in advance!!

4 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

BB, would you happen to know the lovibond on aromatic and special b?  I want this one to stay on the pale side.  Thanks in advance!!

The Simpsons Aromatic that I've been using is around 24 L and the Chateau Special B is about 100.  These malts are both packaged by BSG and are available at my LHBS, but I know that there are other brands out there.  I like your idea on keeping this one pale -- maybe even using CAL or Canadian Blonde as a base, but I need to review where you and others have gone before with the juniper berry recipe before I get going on this one.  Interesting, Sam Adams described their Juniper IPA as a nice holiday beer, so we are right on schedule.:)

2 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

The Simpsons Aromatic that I've been using is around 24 L and the Chateau Special B is about 100.  These malts are both packaged by BSG and are available at my LHBS, but I know that there are other brands out there.  I like your idea on keeping this one pale -- maybe even using CAL or Canadian Blonde as a base, but I need to review where you and others have gone before with the juniper berry recipe before I get going on this one.  Interesting, Sam Adams described their Juniper IPA as a nice holiday beer, so we are right on schedule.:)

Nooo.... no HME in this one.  Except for what I have in stock, I won't be using HME's for the foreseeable future.  Not a knock on Mr. B, but my homebrews have been noticeably better without them.  I like your suggested malts, but this is going to be VERY PALE.