Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Newmoon brewer

Chantilly Lace vs Belgian Blanc

Has anyone made both of these recipes and compared? They both use orange zest and coriander.  Does anyone know/think that they will taste very very similar or is the Blanc much closer to a Blue Moon clone than the Lace?

I made the Chantilly Lace recipe. It was similar but better than a Blue Moon in my opinion. I was actually thinking about making it again. It's a simple but tasty recipe.

Thanks Brian, I thought the same about the Blanc recipe too, very tasty. I just am wondering if they are so close, why pay the extra $10 for the blanc then lol.

Just because they both use orange zest and coriander doesn't mean they are similar. We have several beers that use those ingredients. Orange zest and coriander are used in many different styles of beer.

The Chantilly Lace and Belgian Blanc are completely different beers due to the different yeast, hops, and malt extracts. The Belgian Blanc comes with a Belgian Yeast, which is closer to Blue Moon than Chantilly Lace is. The Blanc also comes with hops and the Lace doesn't, hence the difference in price. These beers do not taste the same at all. The Belgian Blanc is spicier due to the yeast and hops.

15 hours ago, Newmoon brewer said:

Thanks Brian, I thought the same about the Blanc recipe too, very tasty. I just am wondering if they are so close, why pay the extra $10 for the blanc then lol.

You are welcome. You have nothing to loose by trying the Chantilly Lace recipe. I've made over 30 Mr. Beer batches and have only made the same recipe twice, which was a creation of my own, because SWMBO (she who must be obeyed if your not familiar with that one yet) likes it.

I made several Wheat beers using orange and Coriander and they are all different. I am on 4th use of WLP400 Belgian yeast  trub at the moment. ("Slightly phenolic and tart, this is the original yeast used to produce Wit in Belgium.") It was expensive so I figure I am not buying a new vial every time.  I am not sure how long I can reliably use it. Any ideas?? I figure on almost continuously having some Wheat beer fermenting. So far, all are good but different. You can't go much wrong. The basic Mr B one is OK too.

Chamomile Wit. Wheat HME + for Belgian Wit by adding 2 teabags chamomile flowers, 8oz Oats + 4 oz flaked wheat 30 min steep,  coriander 5g crushed 3-5 min boil with Chamomile, Orange zest also 3-5 min boil, Munich malt - 2 oz trad dark (50%),  WLP400

Citrous Wit  BavWeissbr HME, 12 oz wheat DME  ~ 4.5%. Grains 30 min - 4 oz Flaked Wht, 4oz 2 row, 4 oz inst oatmeal, 5 min zest boil, with 5g crushed coriander, 3 mandarins, 1 lime + Hop 0.5 Amarillo. Whizzed can of Mandarin oranges  in same bag with  0.5 Mandarina Bav at flameout (bring to boil to sterilize with juice from Limes and Mandarins. then add HME/DME),  Used WLP400 Belg Wit trub (50%). 0.5 Mandarina Bav  (2 wk dryhop) 

Mango Wit Wheat Bav W  HME, 1 cup inst oatmeal steeped 30 min, 8 oz wheat dme, 1/2 cup oz Trad DarkDME, 7Cs 0..5  oz 5min boil,  WLP400  yeast Citrus wheat trub. 1 Orange peel grated zest, 1 TBS (5g) coriander crushed. I can Mango in light syrup blend, add in bag  after pasteurizing and cooling at abour 1.5 weeks 8/18,

Before those I made  this Mandarin Wheat with Mr B Wht Yeast.  Bav Wht HME, 4 oz Pil DME, 4 ox Light DME, 0.5 oz Mandarin Bavaria  hop, 1 can mandarin oranges light syrup, whizzed and in bag + juice,  0.5 oz Amarillo hop, 4 TBS Dextrose (oops - thought it was dextrin)), 4 TBS MaltoDextrin. .

Before that I made some Who's Yr Hefe and similar.

In fermenter I currently have:

Fruity Wheat 2.  HME Bav Weissbier,  8 oz Wheat DME , 4 oz Instant Oats + 4 oz Flaked wheat + 4 oz 2 row steeped 30 min.. 5g (1 tbsp) Coriander, 1 orange zest boil with 1st 0.5 oz hop 5 min. (I mixed 0.5 oz Galaxy Hop/0.5 oz Nelson Sauvin Hop. )      added the other 0.5 oz at flameout. I used saved WLP40 trub yeast - allowed it to come to room temp with 1/2 tsp sugar, started to ferment so decanted top 2/3 of sediment (Settled sediment was about 1.5 inch in jam jar) + liquid into wort when warmed up to close to wort temp.