Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bonsai & Brew

Something in a Porter

Once you have a supply of oak chips, you may as well start buying liquor.?

Caribbean Porter

American Porter HME

Smooth DME

Booster, half-pack

Briess 2-row Caramel 40, 3 oz.

Weyermann Munich Type I, 3 oz.

Simpsons Aromatic malt, 2 oz.

Chateau Special B, 2 oz.

East Kent Goldings, 0.5 oz. 5-min. boil

Nottingham ale yeast

American Light Toast Oak chips, 1 oz.

Bacardi Oakheart Smooth Spiced Rum (enough to soak chips, plus a little more ;)) added to LBK after 1-week of fermentation

Pure Vanilla extract, 2 tsp. added to oak steep

OG was 1.043

image.jpeg

• Like 4

You're letting the brew sit for two weeks on the chips, if I read this right. Sounds good. Very short hop boil. Is the booster to counter the malt with some "dryness"? The Notty yeast should help give a crisp, clean finish, and a nice low final gravity.  How long will you let this one condition? May need a while to meld all the wonderful flavors you're adding.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brian N. said:

You're letting the brew sit for two weeks on the chips, if I read this right. Sounds good. Very short hop boil. Is the booster to counter the malt with some "dryness"? The Notty yeast should help give a crisp, clean finish, and a nice low final gravity.  How long will you let this one condition? May need a while to meld all the wonderful flavors you're adding.

Right, a lot like the Lock, Stock & Barrel Stout.  The hop schedule, as well as some of the specialty grains are borrowed from MRB Josh's Black Beer'd Porter recipe, which I've really enjoyed.  As for booster, I might be in the minority in thinking that it actually does add body and even some residual sweetness as marketed, as well as being an easy way to bump ABV.  So, in the end, I'm hoping for a fairly malty, slightly sweet Porter with an interesting mix of aroma and flavors offered by the oak, grains, vanilla and rum -- robust, but in a different way.  I'm probably looking at a few months to condition properly, but it would be totally out of character for me not to try one earlier.;)

Notty is nice!?

• Like 1

Lyle's Black Treacle might have been good in this recipe, but my Amazon order is delayed on a slow boat from the U.K. and I couldn't wait.  Pirates?

Thinking about making a Smoked Bourbon Porter....  I blame you BB!  May just pick up another Brewers Best Smoked Porter recipe, add extra Cherrywood Smoked grains, and some Makers Mark soaked oak chips.  That ought to be robust!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

Thinking about making a Smoked Bourbon Porter....  I blame you BB!  May just pick up another Brewers Best Smoked Porter recipe, add extra Cherrywood Smoked grains, and some Makers Mark soaked oak chips.  That ought to be robust!

You can blame me all day AC, as long as you send me a couple bottles of that porter! haha 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

You can blame me all day AC, as long as you send me a couple bottles of that porter! haha 

Decided to try this:

Saint Pat's HME

8oz of smoked cherry wood grains

.5 ounce Northern Brewer (60min)

1lb Robust LME

Hoping for simple, yet very smokey.  

Going to simply call it "Fireside"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

Decided to try this:

Saint Pat's HME

8oz of smoked cherry wood grains

.5 ounce Northern Brewer (60min)

1lb Robust LME

Hoping for simple, yet very smokey.  

Going to simply call it "Fireside"

That sounds pretty good -- I'll have to look for smoked malt next trip to the HBS.  I have to admit, I spent a lot of time today daydreaming about that Scotch Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy recipe --  I think peated- or smoked malt would really work well with it.  Good luck with your stout!    

• Like 1

It may be a little early for tasting notes ('early' in the AM, or 'early' as far as age of this beer --  your choice;)), but so far, there is a lot going on with this one -- dark caramel, vanilla, oak, rum and even notes of coconut were apparent @ bottling, with the Kent Goldings rounding out the overall profile nicely.  I hope that these flavors all hang around as this beer ages! 

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 7:15 AM, Bonsai & Brew said:

Lyle's Black Treacle might have been good in this recipe, but my Amazon order is delayed on a slow boat from the U.K. and I couldn't wait.  Pirates?

Aw ...............Lyle's Black Treacle, I love that stuff. Have not had if for decades.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

Aw ...............Lyle's Black Treacle, I love that stuff. Have not had if for decades.

Have you brewed with it?  I'm thinking that I'll add a half cup or so with the next iteration of this recipe.?

May want to rethink that.  Molasses can impart a metallic taste.  Remember that the sugar will ferment out.

10 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Have you brewed with it?  I'm thinking that I'll add a half cup or so with the next iteration of this recipe.?

No, I was too young. I used to have it on bread or in oatmeal.

well since ive attempted a smoked lager, which turned out unusual but very smokey drinkable, maybe a smoked cherry wheat next?

• Like 1

wondering when Mr. Beer has their booster back on sale? been wanting to do my annual Big Booster Beer Brew!! (12 booster packs and water, yeast)-main ingredients, but if u have to go gonzo with it, u cud add sum grains, hops and/or LME I have 3 porter cans, maybe do a Booster Rocket Porter, a porter that'll send u thru the roof of your home!!

On 11/5/2016 at 6:54 AM, HoppySmile! said:

wondering when Mr. Beer has their booster back on sale? been wanting to do my annual Big Booster Beer Brew!! (12 booster packs and water, yeast)-main ingredients, but if u have to go gonzo with it, u cud add sum grains, hops and/or LME I have 3 porter cans, maybe do a Booster Rocket Porter, a porter that'll send u thru the roof of your home!!

Technically it's not a "beer" if it isn't brewed with barley. What you're making is a Booster wine.

• Like 1

Smoked Stout.  I made this about 5wks ago.  Fantastic at bottling, but wish I added more Cherrywood Smoked grains:

St. Pat's HME

2lbs. Golden LME

.8oz 2 row

.8oz oats

.4oz Cherrywood Smoked grain's

1oz Kent Golding (60)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

As promised, having an early Caribbean Porter.  This turned out really nice! :)

Can you post the recipe for your Caribbean Porter? I love porters and would like to try making it. Thanks!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John K. said:

Can you post the recipe for your Caribbean Porter? I love porters and would like to try making it. Thanks!

Check the first post in the thread

• Like 1