Mr.Beer Community
syncman

First Lager

Pitched yeast Saflager w34-70 at 55deg. Now arond 45deg. After 2 days beer was cloudy, and bubbles floating on the surface. Still going 2 days later. Not the sudden explosive action of an ale. Is this normal?

Yes. Completely normal. Lagers do not show a lot of action due to the colder temps.

Just curious - how are you controlling the temperature? Do you have a dedicated fridge?

45 is too cold.

From the datasheet:

FERMENTATION TEMPERATURE: 9-22°C (48.2-71.6°F) ideally 12-15°C (53.6-59°F)

Similar questions.  Helles Bock 14 days in primary. OG.062 now .032 ambient Temp 54(47 deg day2). Should  I  rack to 2ary or wait 7 more  days?

1/12, racked to 2ary after  2days diacetyl-rest (T57deg) SG 1.026. Will  lager for  3 weeks 40deg. Bottled last running  to taste in 3 weeks.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, randall817jazz said:

1/12, racked to 2ary after  2days diacetyl-rest (T57deg) SG 1.026. Will  lager for  3 weeks 40deg. Bottled last running  to taste in 3 weeks.

??Really proud of this guy. Brewing like a damn pro. 

I am confused though. You bottled it or its still sitting in the fermenter? If you bottled it, i hope your bottles dont explode. Ive lagered in the fermenter but my next one im going to ferment, DR, crash to 35 until ferment completes, keg, then lager for 6 weeks

I dont know how experienced you are but im assuming youre being very sanitary. 

Carboy in garage  about  40deg.  hope it decreases. The bottle  is a test  to check  residual  yeast. I may rebottle to plastic  to avoid  blowout. My concern is  dead space  oxydation.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, randall817jazz said:

Carboy in garage  about  40deg.  hope it decreases. The bottle  is a test  to check  residual  yeast. I may rebottle to plastic  to avoid  blowout. My concern is  dead space  oxydation.

Which is a concern but its never affected my lagers. I have 4 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy and it turned out just fine.

you trying this all on your own or are you following a recipe? What was your OG, 3 weeks seems short to me

O.G. .060 doubled  Helles Bock, 4gal. in 5 gal. carboy. Liked your  post from  Feb.'16  for  guidance . Thanks  for  the  feedback!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, randall817jazz said:

O.G. .060 doubled  Helles Bock, 4gal. in 5 gal. carboy. Liked your  post from  Feb.'16  for  guidance . Thanks  for  the  feedback!

Ive been reading a lot about fast lagering. Ill try it and let you know how it works. Its such a long process, my IPL spent 9 weeks in the fermenters and now im thinking ill lager the keg for a few more weeks... it better be a hell of a beer for all this waiting

• Like 2

9 hours ago, randall817jazz said:

My concern is  dead space  oxydation.

I am far from an expert on brewing, but IMO the fear of oxidation is somewhat overblown by many. As long as the yeast is producing CO2, the O2 is displaced by the heavier CO2 and pushed out of the air lock. Although the gases are mixed in the head space the CO2 is in higher concentrations above the surface of the beer.

28 minutes ago, D Kristof said:

I am far from an expert on brewing, but IMO the fear of oxidation is somewhat overblown by many. As long as the yeast is producing CO2, the O2 is displaced by the heavier CO2 and pushed out of the air lock. Although the gases are mixed in the head space the CO2 is in higher concentrations above the surface of the beer.

IMG_1788.JPG

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

IMG_1788.JPG

That book was a great read :)

• Like 1