Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
HoppySmile!

You can never have too much yeast.....

13 minutes ago, Bach's Brews said:

Better than a yeast INFECTION! :lol:

EEEEEEEEEW!

• Like 1

did you know men get yeast infections?? maybe i'm the only man to have gotten it??? it's not on the lower end of the body, but on the top end, in your scalp, that's why I wear a wig now, I just can't bare to go thru that experience again!!!

5 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

did you know men get yeast infections?? maybe i'm the only man to have gotten it??? it's not on the lower end of the body, but on the top end, in your scalp, that's why I wear a wig now, I just can't bare to go thru that experience again!!!

So you just have to grin and bare it.

Serioualy though that is a LOT of yeast pictured. Will you ever use It before it dies?

• Like 2

all that yeast? best get to brewing. make sure you store them in your fridge.

hoppy , candida can thrive anywhere on the body that has sweat , heat and a place to hide. you can get it internally too.  I think it is candida albicans. I have found that coconut oil applied to a persistent candida infection daily wipes it out. it not only chokes its air supply (singing ' I'm all out of love, I'm so lost without you / I know you were right believing for so long ')  it actively kills it for some reason. coconut oil is antifungal, a little anti bacterial too.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

How can you possibly use all that yeast before it expires?

Have you seen Hoppy's garage?;)

image.jpeg

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Most of the White Labs yeast already has expired.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

From what you're describing Hoppy, I think you should rename this thread "You Can Never Have Too Much Antibiotics!"  ;)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

image.jpeg

Accidents on the off ramp of New Mexico Interstate 25 have quadrupled since this was posted!!!  ;)

Plus... That looks like Hoppy's game time hat!  :)

553.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RickBeer said:

I transmitted myself back in the future and bought it b4 it had been produced, so I have plenty of time......

I used an endinbrgh white labs yeast a year old that turned out great in my Scottish ale I made with dble the peated malt grain. and just last week I baked a birthday cake for my dad using left over grains and extra yeast mixture of 3 year old safale 05, saflager 23, and worchestershire sauce, and he's still alive at 89!!!! just like Mr. Beer products best before date, I ingested 2 packets of 34/70 lager yeast best b4 I went on a date, and i'm still alive

3 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

image.jpeg

I wish..........I dnt even have garage, and now that my new roommate acquired my current beer supply/addiction storage room i'm climbing over stuff to get to other stuff that's in the way of my stuff! it's not that bad after you've had a few brewskies

3 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

Accidents on the off ramp of New Mexico Interstate 25 have quadrupled since this was posted!!!  ;)

Plus... That looks like Hoppy's game time hat!  :)

553.jpg

I used to have one of these, they really dnt work most of the time, but if you're drunk, who cares?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

image.jpeg

WOW! This is one of the coolest brewing setups I've ever seen. The hot liquor tank and kettle look like timpani drums. lol. Very interesting.

• Like 2

i'll post my " can never have too many hops pics!!" as soon as I cultivate my "crop" from the under ground mt hood/mariGicomplicated cultivating peach enhanced prune juiced cardomon seed injected orange nectarine enticed tomato plum very small fart release drop

7 hours ago, BDawg62 said:

Most of the White Labs yeast already has expired.

I just noticed the White Labs Kolsch has expired!!! I just got that!!! now I noe y it wuz on sail???? no problemoz, I refriginate my yeast @ minus T 26 and counting

If you refrigerate it that way, it is probably OK. They yeast will be so confused trying to figure out what is happening that it will have no time to expire - lol

• Like 1

So I have a question/observation.

I found a weissbeir kit that is for 5 gallons, but the extract comes in two cans so it was easy to split into two LBK batches.

I used Fermentis WB-06 in one LBK, and WLP380 in the other to see if there would be any difference.

Both went crazy on the yeast foam, and really made a mess.

OG was 1.050 for both, but the WB-06 had a much lower FG. It was 1.000 or maybe 1.005 and the 380 was 1.017.

They both sat in the same temp for three weeks.

Is that normal?

OK, so what you are experiencing is the difference in "Attenuation" - the % conversion of sugar to alcohol.

Yes the difference in attenuation is indicated by the yeast specifications from the manufacturers.  Maybe not as much difference as below but it is in the right direction.

If you look online at the 2 yeasts you will see that they list different attenuation figures from the starting OG of  1.050

WB-06      lists - 86%      You got FG say 1.005   from calculator in link, --> Attenuation 90%

WLP-380  lists - 73-80% You got FG say 1.017   from calculator in link, --> Attenuation 65%

http://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/

So there will be some inaccuracy in measurement, but you can see the idea.

• Like 2

Hey Nickfixit, my calculator come up with 86% and 70%, what formula did you use?

as long as you have some live yeast, expired shouldn't matter. just do a step starter and rebuild the numbers.  expired yeast is not necessarily dead yeast.  just adds cost of DME and time to spin.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

as long as you have some live yeast, expired shouldn't matter. just do a step starter and rebuild the numbers.  expired yeast is not necessarily dead yeast.  just adds cost of DME and time to spin.

And it really helps to have a stir plate. ;)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Hoppy uses this method:

1) Drinks his "normal" amount.

2) Holds yeast container.

3) "Walks" around his house.

Unfortunately he has had to buy unbreakable flasks with sealable lids and even then his frequent falls down the stairs have burst them open...  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RickBeer said:

frequent falls down the stairs

I used fall down my back porch concrete stairs drunk of course, and sober a few times, bcuz the steps were uneven and different heights. so I commissioned my brother to tear down a children's fort that was in my backyard when I acquired this home, and take what he could out off salvageable wood and build me a deck. and so he did, and its still in place. the conclusion to this story is previously to this construction project I toiled over and over in my head and  came as a final decision I gotta have it now, because a week prior to building the deck, I brought a date home, we both had a few drinks, she was gorgeous, and most likely I would never get this lucky ever again ever in my life, until.... she wanted to go outside in the back yard and she stumbled on the steps and landed face down on the concrete below, busting up her pretty face, and naturally ruining any possibility of me getting laid by a super fine lady like her. but I was a gentleman, I patched her up, drove her home, she said she would call me when she felt better, and I never heard from her again.....

On 10/19/2016 at 8:22 AM, MRB Josh R said:

have 1000 ml flask and stir plate , now the stir plate I was told is ceramic, and about 10 inches round. when I pour the yeast onto the plate how many hours do I keep stirring, bcuz I fell asleep last time I attempted a stir plate yeast prep, and I had been stirring the yeast for 3 days straight, I had to admit myself into E.R. bcuz my arm would not stop moving in circles!! then came cramps, and muscle spasms

don't you know anything? you stir the plate for 10 hrs first...THEN you pour the yeast on and pitch the whole thing into your fermenter. just unplug it first. only a noob would throw a plugged in stirred stir plate into their fermenter. I did once but I was a noob then.

• Like 1

then it wouldn't be a stir plate now would it? it would be a shook plate or a shaken plate... shooken?

• Like 2

e'burgh yeast is a monster. give yourself lots of headspace.  if using a bucket with a lid, don't make my mistake ... use a 1/2 inch diameter blow off hose. I used a 3/8" and the lid almost blew off.

On 10/18/2016 at 4:28 PM, Nickfixit said:

OK, so what you are experiencing is the difference in "Attenuation" - the % conversion of sugar to alcohol.

Yes the difference in attenuation is indicated by the yeast specifications from the manufacturers.  Maybe not as much difference as below but it is in the right direction.

If you look online at the 2 yeasts you will see that they list different attenuation figures from the starting OG of  1.050

WB-06      lists - 86%      You got FG say 1.005   from calculator in link, --> Attenuation 90%

WLP-380  lists - 73-80% You got FG say 1.017   from calculator in link, --> Attenuation 65%

http://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/

So there will be some inaccuracy in measurement, but you can see the idea.

So I tasted the brew yesterday. Everything about the two batches is the same except the yeast. Made at the same time, same water, same pitching temp, same time fermenting, same amount of sugar in the bottling process.

The WB-06 is pretty "normal" in terms of beers I have made, with minimal head and not much head retention. Flavor is more or less what I have come to expect from a homebrew weissbeir.

The WLP-380 has WAY more head, and it doesn't go away. The carbonation feel is about the same as for the WB-06 but by eye it seems to bubble more. The 380 has a slightly sweeter flavor, which I guess makes sense if by "attenuation factor" a smaller number means it converts less of the original extract to alcohol. 

I really don't understand it. Just looking at the beers suggests that the 380 left a lot of fermentables in the final product, and somehow the added sugar at bottling woke it up again so I have a lot of carbonation and head? Why didn't it go farther in the fermentation to begin with?

Just now, Bhob said:

So I tasted the brew yesterday. Everything about the two batches is the same except the yeast. Made at the same time, same water, same pitching temp, same time fermenting, same amount of sugar in the bottling process.

The WB-06 is pretty "normal" in terms of beers I have made, with minimal head and not much head retention. Flavor is more or less what I have come to expect from a homebrew weissbeir.

The WLP-380 has WAY more head, and it doesn't go away. The carbonation feel is about the same as for the WB-06 but by eye it seems to bubble more. The 380 has a slightly sweeter flavor, which I guess makes sense if by "attenuation factor" a smaller number means it converts less of the original extract to alcohol. 

I really don't understand it. Just looking at the beers suggests that the 380 left a lot of fermentables in the final product, and somehow the added sugar at bottling woke it up again so I have a lot of carbonation and head? Why didn't it go farther in the fermentation to begin with?

Yes, "attenuation" is the amount of fermentables that the yeast will ferment. A low percentage means it will leave behind some fermentables. The reason why this happens is simply how the yeast was bred. Some yeasts are designed to leave behind more residual sugars than others. A lot of wheat yeasts, especially the German ones, will usually have less attenuation than other yeasts. Saisons, on the other hand, tend to have some of the highest attenuation, even converting some leftover starches, which most yeast cannot do. So saisons will tend to be much drier. Once you have a better understanding of attenuation, it becomes a bit easier to choose the correct yeast for your beer.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Bhob said:

There are other factors too.

Different yeasts will make different flavor and other byproducts as they grow and ferment. This will affect apparent flavor and also probably head retention I expect.

Some additional info here http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/12/19/beer-head-retention/

Also I think the yeasts packs may not necessarily contain only one kind of yeast - for instance if the 380 had a very small amount of a different yeast that was higher attenuating but slow acting or maybe you got some evolution to a higher attenuating yeast it would continue eating up the additional sugar after you bottled it and maybe some of the previous residual too.  Yeast varieties do evolve over generations.

So, why doesn't QBrew show a different FG depending upon yeast used?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Bhob said:

Ive always wondered that too. I love qbrew but thats just silly

46 minutes ago, Bhob said:

I couldn't tell you that because Qbrew isn't a Coopers/Mr. Beer product. I never pay attention to the FG Qbrew says, only the FG my hydrometer says. Qbrew is intended to give a rough estimate, not a specific number.

• Like 1

It's usually pretty close though using the Mr. Beer yeasts and SafeAle. But it doesn't seem to include yeast in the calculation. I was planning on making my version of a Weissbeir using 6 Golden LME's with a hop addition of my own just to see how it goes, but when I used QBrew to check it over it didn't change the FG with different yeasts.

BTW, is there any plan to provide LME's in a larger size? (Like 1.5kg)

Doh! But...... it is a couple of clicks  away and without checking out Cooper's who would know?

But Cooper's  site has a good range of HMEs too, not all the same as Mr B. (The Australian Flair - and maybe a different recipe for the  taste of a different continent who like ice cold beers.)

I have brewed a couple of the Cooper's HMEs and I have been impressed even with the standard recipe result for Original Dark Ale and Thos Cooper's Selection Pilsener (drinking these) and Australian Bitter (maturing this)  I have others in my queue, interspersed with Mr Beer recipes, with Australian Sparkling Ale next. Split between 3 LBKs (Or you can split between 2 for stronger taste) one can add different malt and other fermentables and hops to each if desired.

Mr Beer though, provides much more information and support from what I see, and a much larger range of recipes and of course the partial mash kits.  And a nicer web site I think.

Mr. Beer IS Coopers, and yes, it is the unwatched child.  Like an afterthought, and not a very good one.

13 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

Doh! But...... it is a couple of clicks  away and without checking out Cooper's who would know?

But Cooper's  site has a good range of HMEs too, not all the same as Mr B. (The Australian Flair - and maybe a different recipe for the  taste of a different continent who like ice cold beers.)

I have brewed a couple of the Cooper's HMEs and I have been impressed even with the standard recipe result for Original Dark Ale and Thos Cooper's Selection Pilsener (drinking these) and Australian Bitter (maturing this)  I have others in my queue, interspersed with Mr Beer recipes, with Australian Sparkling Ale next. Split between 3 LBKs (Or you can split between 2 for stronger taste) one can add different malt and other fermentables and hops to each if desired.

Mr Beer though, provides much more information and support from what I see, and a much larger range of recipes and of course the partial mash kits.  And a nicer web site I think.

We maintain both websites and all ordering through the sites goes through us. Admittedly, we haven't maintained the Coopers site as well as the MRB site, but that will be changing in the coming year as we integrate both sites together.

Mr. Beer is expanding from just sellers of 2 gallon HME kits. Eventually we will have everything you could need for homebrewing (including for all-grainers). It won't happen overnight, but that is the direction we have decided to go.

• Like 7

@MR Beer Josh.

That is a great heads-up for the direction you are going in. If you can maintain the lively customer interaction I think it will be nice. Sometimes increasing scale makes it tough to keep the same relations as there is so much more to do. I mean just think of all the beer you will have to test - lol.  Just please do not lose the customer service relations you have. That is one thing that makes it so nice to buy from you. (Phone/Email and Forum.)

Maybe you will have to open a testing establishment, or go in cooperation with a small local pub for small volume tests on customers.

I figure there would be a number of patrons who would be interested for a lower cost (or even free) to give opinion on new beers you might make. 5 Gallons makes a fair number of beers after all and you will have to disperse them somehow. I think even the practiced Mr Beer staff might have a problem if you have a LOT of testing.

Recipe suggestions from customers would also be a good source.

You could hold competitions e.g. with Mr Beer gift card rewards maybe for winners who get their recipes put into your product list.

Anyway I wish you all good luck with this.

Plan it carefully, I want you to succeed.

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 2:01 PM, MRB Josh R said:

only the FG my hydrometer says

ditto on that!

21 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

Mr. Beer is expanding from just sellers of 2 gallon HME kits. Eventually we will have everything you could need for homebrewing (including for all-grainers). It won't happen overnight, but that is the direction we have decided to go.

you will get my business that's for sure!, bcuz i'm worried Midwest& n.b. will increase their prices and decrease sales they have for profit, and basically lose me permanently, so i'll be looking for a new one source site!!

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:16 PM, MRB Josh R said:

Does that mean for your hard ciders, you'll be selling the apples too?  Sorry.......the beer made me say that

• Like 1

On 11/5/2016 at 5:14 PM, MiniYoda said:

Does that mean for your hard ciders, you'll be selling the apples too?  Sorry.......the beer made me say that

No apples, but apple crushers and presses maybe... ;)