Mr.Beer Community

spigot-front.jpg

After extensive testing, we've just released our newest spigot! This spigot is more rugged and easier to clean than the spigots we've had in the past. It also has a better flow and fits our bottling wand perfectly without the need for an adapter. We will slowly be phasing out the old spigots and all new kits will have these instead. They cost a little more for us, but they will sell for the same price as our old spigots.

Get your new spigot HERE!!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

spigot-front.jpg

After extensive testing, we've just released our newest spigot! This spigot is more rugged and easier to clean than the spigots we've had in the past. It also has a better flow and fits our bottling wand perfectly without the need for an adapter. We will slowly be phasing out the old spigots and all new kits will have these instead. They cost a little more for us, but they will sell for the same price as our old spigots.

Get your new spigot HERE!!

Well that is good. The wand SHOULD fit properly.

But wait - that looks like the Cooper's fermenter spigot??? Not the LBK one.

But...... since I do not use a wand, I like the ones that have the rubber tubing adaptor spout on the bottom (Like the white one). That way I can fill directly into bottle. With no spout, I cannot fit a bottle on it directly.

With the Cooper's one, I had to cut 2 inches of tube off the wand to stick up in it so I could bottle fill in the sink.

But anyway I have 2 spare white ones.

Spigot, Bottling

5 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

But wait - that looks like the Cooper's fermenter spigot??? Not the LBK one.

Nope. They are totally different.

1 hour ago, MRB Josh R said:

Nope. They are totally different.

Yes you are absolutely right.  !!

Cooper's is a snap in. Not sure why I confused them except for the look of where the wand fits and that the handle lifts not turns.

It does look like an easy take apart though which is nice - but the end does not fit into a bottle by the look of it unless you use the wand or tubing.

well when u phase out the "other" spigots, i'll buy them, all 50,000 of them, so I can start a new post, " You can never have too many phased out spigot's!!"

It looks just like the spigot from my slimline container that I use for bottling. Really easy to take apart and clean!

13 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

Yes you are absolutely right.  !!

Cooper's is a snap in. Not sure why I confused them except for the look of where the wand fits and that the handle lifts not turns.

It does look like an easy take apart though which is nice - but the end does not fit into a bottle by the look of it unless you use the wand or tubing.

Actually it looks more like a hybrid cross between the Cooper's and Mr Beer spigots. You guys must be cross breeding them out back - lol.

• Like 2

Someone (Josh?) is going to have to explain something to this rookie.

So far, I've seen two different types of spigots.  One, which appears to be obsolete, is a push-button.  It was discontinued because it was difficult to use one hand to push the button to bring the beer out, one hand hold the bottle, and one hand to hold the LBK to keep it from moving (the difficulty is in that most of us only have two hands). 

This was resolved with the spigot that uses a lever that moves left and right.  With this one, which I have on my four LBK's, I attach the wand, rotate the spigot to the always-open position, and put the wand in the bottle until the bottle fills up.  One hand for the bottle, one to hold/lift the LBK if/as needed.  Only one item, the spring, controls the flow of the beer into the bottle.

This new design seems to be similar to the first design, in that it appears you have to push the lever down and hold it down to get the beer out.  Thus, three hands again, one to hold down the lever, one to hold the bottle, and one for the LBK if/as needed.

Josh, have you/your team experienced any issues with having to hold the bottle in place AND push the lever to the spigot down?  Perhaps I can get lazy and attach the wand, then black-tape the spigot in the open position, and just use the spring loaded mechanism of the wand to control the beer flow.

I'm pretty sure that it stays locked in position in pulled forward instead of pushed. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Big Sarge said:

I'm pretty sure that it stays locked in position in pulled forward instead of pushed. 

I was hoping.  From the design it looks like the square front allows it to lock in place if pulled forward, and still temporary open if pushed down.  I just didn't know if it would open both ways.

Ya know what may be a decent/simple  solution to moving LBK issue that some of us have during bottling (if you aren't using a bottling wand)?  How about a 2-sided suction cup?  One side sticks to the bottom of the LBK and the other sticks to the counter/table.  1 in the front & 1in the back ought to lock it down.  Not sure if this exists, but the powers that be at Mr. Beer could probably make it happen.  

I am surprised so many people are having a problem with the keg moving.  What am I doing wrong? :-D

23 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

Someone (Josh?) is going to have to explain something to this rookie.

So far, I've seen two different types of spigots.  One, which appears to be obsolete, is a push-button.  It was discontinued because it was difficult to use one hand to push the button to bring the beer out, one hand hold the bottle, and one hand to hold the LBK to keep it from moving (the difficulty is in that most of us only have two hands). 

This was resolved with the spigot that uses a lever that moves left and right.  With this one, which I have on my four LBK's, I attach the wand, rotate the spigot to the always-open position, and put the wand in the bottle until the bottle fills up.  One hand for the bottle, one to hold/lift the LBK if/as needed.  Only one item, the spring, controls the flow of the beer into the bottle.

This new design seems to be similar to the first design, in that it appears you have to push the lever down and hold it down to get the beer out.  Thus, three hands again, one to hold down the lever, one to hold the bottle, and one for the LBK if/as needed.

Josh, have you/your team experienced any issues with having to hold the bottle in place AND push the lever to the spigot down?  Perhaps I can get lazy and attach the wand, then black-tape the spigot in the open position, and just use the spring loaded mechanism of the wand to control the beer flow.

The lever locks in place when you pull it straight up. There is no need to hold it down. :) Like I said, we did extensive testing. We tested a lot of different designs and this one was the best. It is a huge improvement, especially because it is much easier to disassemble and clean. It also has a much better flow than the old spigots, but not too much that it will aerate your beer (I tested the rate of pressure on a few different spigots and this one was optimal). Again, it is costing us more to manufacture than the old spigots, but we are absorbing that cost to give you a better quality spigot at the same price as the old one. 

Also, all new LBKs ordered from us will come with these included once we run out of the old spigots (we only have around 100 left). Keep in mind that it may take a bit before our retailers have these in their kits.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

The lever locks in place when you pull it straight up. There is no need to hold it down. :) Like I said, we did extensive testing. We tested a lot of different designs and this one was the best. It is a huge improvement, especially because it is much easier to disassemble and clean. It also has a much better flow than the old spigots, but not too much that it will aerate your beer (I tested the rate of pressure on a few different spigots and this one was optimal). Again, it is costing us more to manufacture than the old spigots, but we are absorbing that cost to give you a better quality spigot at the same price as the old one. 

Josh, thanks for the info.  I looked at the picture, and while it looked like the spigot could be pulled straight up and locked into place, I wasn't 100% certain.  We all appreciate the quality and testing that Mr. Beer puts into all of their products.  I'll definitely give consideration to replacing my current spigots with the improved design.

• Like 1

Re - flow rate through spigot into bottle. I find I have to only partially open the white LBK spigot when filling directly into the bottle or the beer goes in to the bottle too fast, and it will foam/oxygenate or be difficult to shut off at right fill level. 

I recognize that these are issues that using the wand  is intended to resolve. But I still prefer direct fill.

47 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

I am surprised so many people are having a problem with the keg moving.  What am I doing wrong? :-D

I was wondering the same thing.  When I bottle I prop my LBK up with a damp, folded kitchen towel under the spigot end so that the spigot end is raised about 1/4-1/2".  The LBK is right next to my kitchen sink.  I hold the bottle in my left hand, tilted under the spigot in the sink, and operate the spigot with my right hand.  If I'm feeling cocky I can even hold the bottle in my left hand and keep it tilted while also operating the spigot with my left hand.  I normally do that when I'm bottling the last bottle and slightly raising the opposite end of the keg with my right arm.

18 minutes ago, Shrike said:

I was wondering the same thing.  When I bottle I prop my LBK up with a damp, folded kitchen towel under the spigot end so that the spigot end is raised about 1/4-1/2".  The LBK is right next to my kitchen sink.  I hold the bottle in my left hand, tilted under the spigot in the sink, and operate the spigot with my right hand.  If I'm feeling cocky I can even hold the bottle in my left hand and keep it tilted while also operating the spigot with my left hand.  I normally do that when I'm bottling the last bottle and slightly raising the opposite end of the keg with my right arm.

My technique is very similar except I do not bother with the towel. Towards the end though, when the liquid is low, you can leave the spigot open and just tilt the LBK to control beer flow. It needs a bit of care not to get the trub in bottles though - so I also use a jug for the last bit of transfer sometimes.

cool! my original spigot works just dandy though! lots of beer has run thru that baby!!!

• Like 3